Author Topic: Proposed 700-mile wall on the U.S.-Mexico border & the Berlin Wall  (Read 5057 times)

_JS

• Salaires legers. Chars lourds.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Proposed 700-mile wall on the U.S.-Mexico border & the Berlin Wall
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2006, 03:09:30 PM »
But clearly some are afraid of illegal immigrants, or else why would such tactics be employed?

By the way, I find it interesting that Hadrian's Wall is used as an analogy. The BNP in Britain also uses Hadrian's Wall as an analogy in discussing immigration and they also use the saying: "immigration restrictions aren't racism."
I smell something burning, hope it's just my brains.
They're only dropping peppermints and daisy-chains
   So stuff my nose with garlic
   Coat my eyes with butter
   Fill my ears with silver
   Stick my legs in plaster
   Tell me lies about Vietnam.

Universe Prince

• Of course liberty isn't safe; but it is good.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2006, 04:42:55 PM »

If we were so afraid of immigrants we wouldn't have the legal kind either.

If we're not afraid of immigrants, why do we have such ridiculously burdensome immigration law in the first place?
Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever.
--Hieronymus Karl Frederick Baron von Munchausen ("The Adventures of Baron Munchausen" [1988])--

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2006, 07:28:18 PM »
If we're not afraid of immigrants, why do we have such ridiculously burdensome immigration law in the first place?

Because the primary directive for bureaucracy is to self perpetuate.

Over burdensome regulation is one way to achieve that goal.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2006, 07:44:23 PM »

Those walls did indeed work, for centurys the Great wall of China made getting into China without paying your tarriff difficult , not impossible of course , but difficult is worth doing.

If the Great Wall of China had been built to enforce tariffs, you might have a point. But it was built to keep out invading armies. It failed.

Hadrians wall was built to keep some ancestors of mine out of the Romans hair it worked pretty well.

Hadrian's Wall worked as a massive military garrison along the border of the Roman Empire on the island of Great Britain. Do you think we need a military garrison of 10,000 troops or more along our southern border?

Hadrians wall was well situated and well built , yes I would not mind haveing a lot of soldiers stationed near the border.

The Great Wall of China was built over several generations , it ultimately was overcome but for the few centurys it was effective , it was effective.

The border fence wouldn't need to be there if the Illeagal immagrants were not pressing in willi -nilly.

The Demand for their labor is very strong , if they were not sneaking in and offering themselves at a steep discount , businesses and individuals would be seeking them out at their homes and offering incentives for them to come, includeing travel pay.

Perhaps a Labor Union would be a good alternative to the Wall?

If Mexican labor was disaplined and organised , they could come to the border and make demands about conditions before thay woould deign to cross it.