Author Topic: I can neither confirm nor deny  (Read 960 times)

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
I can neither confirm nor deny
« on: December 12, 2006, 10:53:14 PM »
http://articles.news.aol.com/news/_a/olmerts-nuclear-slip-sparks-calls-for/20061212052309990001?ncid=NWS00010000000001

"Defense analyst Amir Oren, writing in the Haaretz daily, gave Olmert backhand praise. "Thanks to him, there is no longer any need to rely on real or bogus 'foreign sources' when referring to Israel's nuclear potential," a longtime requirement from Israel's military censor.

At the same time, Oren criticized Olmert for losing control of his tongue and forgetting that "he is the prime minister, not just some commentator or politician."

Mordechai Vanunu, the whistleblower who gave Israeli nuclear secrets to the British paper The Sunday Times in 1986 and served an 18-year sentence for his disclosures, said he hoped Olmert's comment wasn't a mistake, but rather "the beginning of a policy change" that would see Israel openly acknowledge its nuclear weapons.

But Shlomo Brom, an expert on strategic affairs at Tel Aviv University's Institute for National Strategic Studies, said Olmert was simply misunderstood. "This is much ado about nothing," Brom said. Earlier in the week Brom said no one believes Israel's ambiguous denials, anyway."

[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]

I once had a job where it was part of the job to stand drills in canary suits and practice sweeping decks and bulkheads with scintillation counting alpha detectors . We were briefed on the methods for cleaning up spilled high explosive and plutonium.
But they could neither confirm nor deny to me that we were carrying nuclear bombs.