Author Topic: AR essay on the nature of racism  (Read 2005 times)

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
AR essay on the nature of racism
« on: August 18, 2012, 05:21:01 AM »
http://alexpeak.com/twr/racism/

Racism claims that the content of a man’s mind (not his cognitive apparatus, but its content) is inherited; that a man’s convictions, values and character are determined before he is born, by physical forces beyond his control.  This is the caveman’s version of the doctrine of innate ideas—or of inherited knowledge—which has been thoroughly refuted by philosophy and science.  Racism is a doctrine of, by and for brutes.  It is a barnyard or stock-farm version of collectivism, appropriate to a mentality that differentiates between various breeds of animals, but not between animals and men.

Like every form of determinism......
From "Racism" by Ayn Rand
September 1963

I reccomend reading the whole thing.
It is a bit repeditive but flogs the logic in a complete, convincing way.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
Re: AR essay on the nature of racism
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2012, 11:48:22 AM »
Yeah, sure, racism is the result of a herd mentality. Rand was, of course, Jewish, which she concealed behind a pen name, perhaps because she dissociated herself from the Jewish religion, perhaps because she resented the fact that someone else named her and she preferred to name herself.

I remember that after the Civil Rights Bill passed, there were those "We reserve the Right to Refuse Service to Anyone" signs in nearly every non-chain restaurant in Missouri, Kansas and Oklahoma. I don't recall seeing any of them anywhere West of Santa Rosa in NM, but they were all over WV as late as the mid-70's. I do not recall ever witnessing anyone thrown out of any restaurant or reading about such an incident, but there were few Blacks dining in such places, and more take-outs among Blacks and Whites. Rand believes that property rights give the owner the right to discriminate as however he sees fit.

You don't see those signs anymore. Non-chain restaurants are much less common. The chain stores like McDonald's, KFC, BK and such may not have food that is as good, but they DO serve food that is predictable both in what you get and what you pay, and that is probably a greater factor than their not posting the "We reserve the Right.." signs. 

I suppose that there are still people who still think their rights have been violated because they are barred from discriminating. They still have signs that say "No shoes, no shirt, no service", but I don't see this as a Civil Rights issue. It is safe to assume that anyone who has driven to the place has something shoelike or shirtlike available that they could put on.

Hegel said that every action in history provokes a reaction. Rand is a sort of a mini anti-Lenin. Like Lenin, she was not Russian and was an atheist. In every other way she was his opposite, except in terms of success. Lenin's ideas ruled the Soviet Union for over 50 years, Rand's ideas have never ruled any country and never will.  Pure Randism was something that only Rand and perhaps her husband Frank O'Connor were experts at: she was such a hideous ideologue and monstrous wet blanket that she turned off nearly everyone capable of independent thought. The reality is that John Galt, Daphne Taggert and Hank Reardon are only cartoonish fictional characters: not even Rand was up to being a Daphne Taggert: she was all for free love until her lover Nathaniel Brandon decided to have a fling. Then she erupted in a volcanic fit of jealousy.

In this essay, she invents a straw man (Negroes, meaning all Negroes, demand 25% of the jobs because they are 25% of the population). There may have been a few Black people who made this claim, but by saying that all Blacks demand this, she is collectivising them just as Stalin collectivised the Jews, the Chechens, the Koreans, and deported them away from where they were causing him trouble.

There are LOTS of people who have a better understanding of race relations than Ayn Rand. Despite the fact that Rand claimed her ideas were universal, she left Los Angeles, which was much more diverse, to live in Manhattan, where most of her neighbors and all of her main disciples were of the same Slavic country Jewish atheist persuasion. She detested anyone that did not think the way she thought, and turned on people like Buckley and even the ideologues at the Cato Institute.

"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2012, 12:45:36 PM »
And with all that effort, not one shred of support to the claim of how states abuse their citizens.  Pretty sad. Especially from someone who routinely makes blanket claims of what Blacks really want, or what conservatives really are....minus of course those prescious components again referred to as facts.  I still see those "We reserve the Right to Refuse Service to Anyone" signs all around, and I live in CA...the beacon of supposed "diversity" and liberal think
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Religious Dick

• Drunk, drunk, drunk in the gardens and the graves
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2012, 01:02:03 PM »
Sweeping Rand's barnyard:

Racism and individualism

By NICHOLAS STRAKON

As any individualist knows, on the street we never encounter "groups" or "races" as a physical entity; we encounter only individuals. Let us consider the proverbial "racist cab driver" who will not accept male Negro youths as fares. It is easy for academics in leafy college towns and journalists in their security-barricaded newsrooms and studios to denounce such cabbies as evil and benighted men; but they do not drive cabs for a living. They have not earned and do not have the cabbie's "street smarts" (a quality that liberals are willing enough to allow Negroes themselves to display). A male Negro youth who is a graduate student in chemistry and lover of Mozart, peace, and order certainly will feel the sting as a cab driver ignores his hail and sweeps past at 40 mph; and we may forgive him for thinking ill of the cabbie. But, as Rand taught us, benevolence and charity are voluntary. That goes double when one's life and limb are at stake. The cabbie knows that he is far more likely to be assaulted, robbed, and killed by a male Negro youth than by ? for instance ? an old Oriental gentleman or even a Negro woman (and by the way, both white and black cabbies know it). On the street, such rules of thumb prevail. And notions of determinism do not come into play; only probabilities and experience.

Those of us uncomfortable with that sort of thing as it relates to individual members of certain races may deliberately resist its application, and, depending on where we live and travel, may escape injury. But as a policy, that is not just rash, it is ? if I may unleash the all-purpose anathema of Randians ? altruistic (not to mention irrational).

All of us, including Objectivists, observe rules of thumb in other cases. When we see men with sawn-off shotguns and ski masks departing a bank, we fear we are in the presence of violent criminals ? even though it may only be that Brink's has adopted new gear for its employees, in which case we are being unfair to men doing an honest day's work. We respond not according to any notion of determinism but, instead, according to the odds as we roughly calculate them, on the basis of our experience and credible reports of others' experience.

And we must do so, if we have a care for our own interests. We live in a world of scarcity, including information scarcity; and in that real world of men, time, and events (if I may yet again exploit James Burnham's pithy phrase), we depend on partial evidence, on quick estimates, on rules of thumb ? in short, on what writers before me have called "rational prejudice."

http://www.thornwalker.com/ditch/barnyard.htm

I speak of civil, social man under law, and no other.
-Sir Edmund Burke

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2012, 04:21:26 PM »
A cab driver deciding to pick up a potentially dangerous fare is not being a racist. It is essentially the same issue as anyone deciding to pick up a hitchhiker. The cabbie knows that he is not going to make enough money from the fare to pay for medical bills and loss of money that might result.

This is a "straw man" argument. A racist cab driver might refuse to pick up a Black fare because of racism, but any cab driver refusing to pick up a fare due to the potential danger of being robbed is not being a racist.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2012, 12:05:49 AM »
If the biggest tipper in town is black then the Cab drivers are liable to loose oppurtunity by avoiding him .

When I drove a cab I was dispatched by the Air Force and picked up people with government business exclusively. I didn't need street smarts at all, soldiers and government contractors are pretty safe to be around whether black or white.

I doon't want to say that Ann Rand is absolutely right, there are a few details I would have argued with too, but I think that her take on the origin and use of racism is generally right.

Next time you are getting on an elevator and you don't like the look of the guy that is already there, do not get on , don't second guess yourself to death, perhaps he will be insulted by your racism , which he shall perceive, but you will be alive to think it over .

When you have a hunch, its origins might be a hazy memory or a subliminal perception or it might be something unfair, do you have to analise the origins of a hunch before you obey it?

Jesse Jackson himself confessed to these feelings , I struggle with them, I know there is an element of evil in myself to constantly struggle against, where Ann Rand seems most mistaken to me is that she seems to think the effects are escaped by people with suffecient education and proper attitude. I don't think it is that easy.

But that some do not struggle against them , some attach racism to their feeling of self worth, some allow racism to justify atrocity, yes she has this pegged as an anchient and primitive problem.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2012, 01:48:09 AM »
Rand's praise for selfishness was also a primitive attitude. She managed to make hundreds of people who agreed with most of her doctrines despise her because if they agreed with 99% of what she said, she would attack them over the remaining 1%. She was capable of being a good writer: her first book, We the Living, was mostly very well written. As she progressed, she got worse. Atlas Shrugged would never have been completed had she not popped Bennies.

And seriously, if you have something to say that required 1100 pages to say that cannot be said more effectively in 500, you are not a good writer.

Dickens has a motive. He was paid by the word for his serialized novels. Rand could have made just as much money and been more famous had she edited Atlas Shrugged down to a tome of civilized proportions.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2012, 02:03:23 AM »
Rand's praise for selfishness was also a primitive attitude.

Eh... not so much.

Didn't Lenin espouse a selflessness that was the cause of multiple millions of deaths?
I don't think Ann Rand  proposed that individuals eschew each others company and good will , nor avoid cooperation and social affiliation.
Even in "Atlas Shrugged" the smart ones who escaped their obligations to the society they objected to , didn't so much do it violence as boycott it and start up a society of their own.

I think it is ordinary to exaggerate Ann Rands positions . Everybody seems to be doing it.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2012, 01:06:25 PM »
Rand was of the opinion that a tiny minority of "creative" people (including inventors, entrepreneurs, businessmen and one writer - herself) created everything that enabled mankind to rise from the primeval ooze and form a modern civilization. She felt that such people should be in charge of everything.

When others managed to put themselves in charge by deceiving the teeming masses of ignorami, she speculated about hos delightful it would be if these very few would deny their services to the nation and hide themselves in the mountains, like Butch, Sundance and the Hole in the Wall Gang. That is what Atlas Shrugged is all about.

The triumph of this strike is when the leeches that run the country fail and everyone gets to starve. It is pretty much the same result that Lenin and Stalin imposed on the Ukraine, with similar results.

The fact is that although geniuses do indeed create marvelous inventions, they are most often not skilled at running a society. Steve Jobs was a great entrepreneur, but he was less than successful at even staying at the helm of Apple. Bill Gates and Warren Buffett clearly understand the limitations of their expertise, and I would say that they have done more good with their thoughtful dedication to eradicating Guinea worm and Malaria than in their main line of work. Donald Trump seems to have done very little for anyone other than The Donald and his ex-wives' lawyers.

Rand would surely have thought of The Donald and Jobs as heroes and Buffett and Gates as weakling wusses, since they have enlisted the cooperation of government agencies in getting their projects working. I don't see Rand bothering to speak to any of the African leaders that were indispensable to getting the Gates' Foundation's projects off the ground. Mostly Rand annoyed everyone who did not agree 100% with her and recognized her as the Sole Supreme Mind on the Planet.

Of course, Lenin, Stalin and Mao were all very clever revolutionaries. None of them excelled at running a country, just as Jobs and Trump could never run a country. It is a very rare individual that excels at everything. Rand's premise is that her excellent elite excel at everything.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2012, 01:40:31 PM »
And yet.....stilll no examples of how states punish & abuse their citizenry, as per the supposed claim that they do.
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2012, 01:53:35 PM »
That is not what is being debated here and you know it.

How about Sheriff Arpaio putting prisoners in tents in 110 degree heat and forcing them to wear pink underwear?
'That's all I am going to say about that.

Debate the issue or go %&*^& yourself.

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2012, 02:06:43 PM »
I see tentcity as a sign of failure to the people of arizona . The goal is deterence and since the temporary stucture still exist to this day it only means failure.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2012, 02:45:40 PM »

LOL...and that debunks the point, HOW AGAIN??  One can debate anything, anywhere they want.  I'm merely using your current effort at opining (and your transparent ignoring the direct request in the appropriate thread), in demonstrating how yet again, you make wreckless & ignorant claims, and rarely, if ever, back them up

And last time I checked, Arpaio was not the Governor of any state, though I have no problem in his embarassing prisoners.  Care to try again?  WHAT STATES ARE SPECIFICALLY ABUSING THEIR CITIZENRY, that would supposedly refute the notion in the importance of "States rights"??

So yea, BACK UP YOUR ASANINE CLAIMS or go %&*^& yourself

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2012, 05:52:31 PM »

LOL...and that debunks the point, HOW AGAIN??  One can debate anything, anywhere they want. .............................................................

Keep in mind that it is volentary on both sides.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2012, 06:02:04 PM »
Absolutely.  If Xo has no intention of backing up any of his repetative wreckless claims, I have no problem with that.  I just like to highlight it for all to see, posters and mere visitors alike