Author Topic: Safe space has a price  (Read 996 times)

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Safe space has a price
« on: August 21, 2016, 10:17:25 PM »

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
Re: Safe space has a price
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2016, 09:46:14 AM »
Yale has an endowment so huge that if they never got another cent from the alumni. they would survive and prosper. 

Years ago, I was told that I would be paid to teach a class to tutoring students in communication to help them pass a state exam. When the time came to be paid, we were told that there was no money to pay us the $1000 we were promised. There were seven of us, so the total bill was $7000. Then they hired a new dean with a salary of $80K, who basically did nothing useful for the next two years until he retired and was not replaced.

We reminded the administration of this debt to us yearly for the next five years.
The Vice President said, "we have not forgotten you."

Several years later, I was called into the university president's office because he had looked over faculty charitable contributions to the university and had decided that I was the only one that had not kicked back part of my meager salary to the university. He said that this made him look bad compared to other presidents that had 100% faculty participation.

I informed him that for the past two years they were deduction $5 every two weeks  from each check: that was $130 a year and he could claim that if he wished. Then I mentioned the $1000 I had been promised for the extra class years before. He claimed that he did not know about that. He also did not apologize. He continued to harp on how I should contribute to his present campaign. I listened politely and made no comments until he ran out of steam and was called out of the office. When he did not return for five minutes, I made my getaway.

A week later I went to Human Resources and asked them to stop deducting the $5 from my check, which, surprisingly they did.

I realize that the best way to demonstrate to the President that he was being a dick would have been to put all the contents of my wallet on the table and then to dump out my change purse and ask for a receipt.

But then, I wanted to keep my job.

At least the people who used to beg for contributions stopped doing it after I retired.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2016, 01:40:47 PM »
pretty sure even school who don`t need the money do not like when the free money dries up.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2016, 01:48:34 PM »
I am sure you are correct.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."