Author Topic: Canada is a Racist Nation  (Read 9171 times)

_JS

• Salaires legers. Chars lourds.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Canada is a Racist Nation
« Reply #60 on: August 29, 2008, 06:33:55 PM »
Yet it has already happened, there are very few assembly jobs left here because they all went there , and I don't see how your denial of this effect has any substance.

It did not coincide with an increase in the minimum wage nor were most "assembly jobs" minimum wage jobs. I'm not denying that we lost manufacturing jobs. I'm stating the fact that it in no way correlates to a wage floor.

Then what causes the disconnect ?

I don't see the complication , Worker in country A does the work for X worker in USA does the work for X+minimum wage , seems too simple to allow for much misundeerstanding.

Wages rise as a result of scarcity of labor even critical and difficult jobs pay little if the needed skill is common , raiseing the wage by fiat is just a means of devalueing the currency indirectly.

If McDonalds is forced to pay its workers more it is also forced to either accept a reduced margin or raise its prices .

Where is the complexity that allows this to be escaped?

What disconnect?

You mean what causes Econ 101 to not prove true in the real world? The same thing that causes basic physics equations not to work perfectly. That simple caveat everything else being equal. That's how one accounts for every other variable without getting into complex modeling, calculus, and other methodology that is far too difficult for the basics.

This is why so many people are armchair economists but have never bothered taking the 400 and graduate level classes at university.

Look at your question:

If McDonalds is forced to pay its workers more it is also forced to either accept a reduced margin or raise its prices .

You see no complexity. On the other hand, I see a great deal of complexity.

I smell something burning, hope it's just my brains.
They're only dropping peppermints and daisy-chains
   So stuff my nose with garlic
   Coat my eyes with butter
   Fill my ears with silver
   Stick my legs in plaster
   Tell me lies about Vietnam.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #61 on: August 29, 2008, 06:47:41 PM »

[/quote]

Ok , go.

_JS

• Salaires legers. Chars lourds.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #62 on: August 29, 2008, 07:05:35 PM »

Ok , go.
[/quote]

First, all of McDonald's competitors are forced to do the same thing. Second, what are all of the other sectors that McDonald's deals with? Fuel, energy, health insurance, public, agriculture, financial, currency, etc...what is taking place in those sectors? How is it affecting their business? Is the business expanding? Contracting? Are the competitors capturing business? Is that a trend?

That's just for starters.
I smell something burning, hope it's just my brains.
They're only dropping peppermints and daisy-chains
   So stuff my nose with garlic
   Coat my eyes with butter
   Fill my ears with silver
   Stick my legs in plaster
   Tell me lies about Vietnam.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #63 on: August 30, 2008, 01:46:49 AM »

Ok , go.

First, all of McDonald's competitors are forced to do the same thing. Second, what are all of the other sectors that McDonald's deals with? Fuel, energy, health insurance, public, agriculture, financial, currency, etc...what is taking place in those sectors? How is it affecting their business? Is the business expanding? Contracting? Are the competitors capturing business? Is that a trend?

That's just for starters.
[/quote]

And it is simple too.

There is nothing mentioned here that would mitigate the negative effect of the minimum wage riseing. If one of your expenses rises ,this does not make another of your expenses fall.

The first effect is on the margins where some employees are no longer justifiable , jobs like that just evaporate .

This is why Waitstaff and Farmhands are exceptions to the minimum wage law.