Author Topic: Obama About Palin - "You can put lipstick on a pig,"  (Read 6963 times)

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Obama About Palin - "You can put lipstick on a pig,"
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2008, 12:12:43 AM »
<<Perception & reality get fuzzy sometimes. I believe he knew exactly what he was saying. Everyones perception is he knew what he was saying. He ain't gunna get out of this. He is stuck now.>>

Well, I didn't see the tape of the speech.  Something was posted here, but it was cut off right after the "lipstick" remark and about one second or less of audience reaction.  The clip didn't show two subsequent remarks in the same vein, the next one being that you could wrap a rotten fish in newspaper but it still stinks, and then there was another one.  Of the three illustrations given by Obama, only the first one could be twisted into an attack on Palin, so you'd have to see the audience reaction to all three gibes to see if the first really was perceived in a different vein than the others.  But that was exactly where the clip was cut short, leading me to believe that there was no veiled attack on Palin either made or perceived by the audience in the "lipstick" remarks.

After all, Palin never coined the phrase "lipstick on a pig" and to be fair to her, she never claimed to.  there's absolutely no reason on earth for thinking that Obama reached for this common English metaphor to attack Palin rather than to make the painfully obvious point that McCain is not gonna change anything and he's not a maverick either.

Kramer

• Repeal ObamaCare
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2008, 12:17:31 AM »
<<Perception & reality get fuzzy sometimes. I believe he knew exactly what he was saying. Everyones perception is he knew what he was saying. He ain't gunna get out of this. He is stuck now.>>

Well, I didn't see the tape of the speech.  Something was posted here, but it was cut off right after the "lipstick" remark and about one second or less of audience reaction.  The clip didn't show two subsequent remarks in the same vein, the next one being that you could wrap a rotten fish in newspaper but it still stinks, and then there was another one.  Of the three illustrations given by Obama, only the first one could be twisted into an attack on Palin, so you'd have to see the audience reaction to all three gibes to see if the first really was perceived in a different vein than the others.  But that was exactly where the clip was cut short, leading me to believe that there was no veiled attack on Palin either made or perceived by the audience in the "lipstick" remarks.

After all, Palin never coined the phrase "lipstick on a pig" and to be fair to her, she never claimed to.  there's absolutely no reason on earth for thinking that Obama reached for this common English metaphor to attack Palin rather than to make the painfully obvious point that McCain is not gonna change anything and he's not a maverick either.

would you put lipstick on these lips?

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2008, 12:22:12 AM »
I couldn't afford to.  Worst Photoshop job I've seen in eons, BTW.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2008, 12:35:22 AM »
Can you let us in on how you learned that little trick?

Simple really. Watch the audience reaction to the line.

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2008, 02:38:25 AM »
Actuallly, I just caught the whole line delivered right through to the last part of that thought, saw the audience reaction and IMHO it was pretty obvious that the reference probably was to Palin.

Well, it wasn't very chivalrous, but it sure was funny.  It's a low blow and I don't think it's worthy of Obama, but it's certainly not a deal-killer considering what's at stake and how absolutely tragic and evil it would be for McCain to win the election.  "The only thing necessary to the triumph of evil is for good men to stand aside and do nothing."

In Obama's defence also, I don't think this was meant to imply literally that Palin was a pig or grotesquely unattractive, it was more of a zinger, a line delivered more to demonstrate cleverness than to deliberately insult anyone, but nevertheless careless and unjustly contemptuous.

Kramer

• Repeal ObamaCare
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2008, 03:07:09 AM »
Actuallly, I just caught the whole line delivered right through to the last part of that thought, saw the audience reaction and IMHO it was pretty obvious that the reference probably was to Palin.

Well, it wasn't very chivalrous, but it sure was funny.  It's a low blow and I don't think it's worthy of Obama, but it's certainly not a deal-killer considering what's at stake and how absolutely tragic and evil it would be for McCain to win the election.  "The only thing necessary to the triumph of evil is for good men to stand aside and do nothing."

In Obama's defence also, I don't think this was meant to imply literally that Palin was a pig or grotesquely unattractive, it was more of a zinger, a line delivered more to demonstrate cleverness than to deliberately insult anyone, but nevertheless careless and unjustly contemptuous.

Beneath a president is what I think you are trying to say. Not to mention Obama's obsession with Palin. It appears to me that Obama and staff have been shell-shocked with McCain's VP choice and caught totally off guard as well. They truly are in a state of panic

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2008, 06:45:40 AM »
I think this is a small gaffe that will do small damage to BHO.

And I don't think it is fair to demand chivalry on Obma's part unless there is an equivelent demand on Palins part, and what would that be ? Ladylike behavior?

It is a major part of Palins job right now to be fault finding on Barak Obama , to make jabs that are funny and accusations that damage, this has to happen .

It does look bad for a gentleman to make a disparageing remark of a lady , this seems to be the situation inspite of the unfairness.

I hope that Palin doesn't snidely compare Obama to an animal though, that might be fair now , but still low on class.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2008, 10:32:32 AM »
This is not an issue of any importance whatever.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Kramer

• Repeal ObamaCare
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2008, 11:48:33 AM »
This is not an issue of any importance whatever.

It's ALL over the press so keep telling yourself it's not a big deal but it really is a big deal.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2008, 11:52:40 AM »
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZd_Y_D-RaA[/youtube]

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2008, 11:59:51 AM »
It does not matter one whit that it is "all over the press": they have no other story to push, so they push non-stories. I, as a Democrat, would not change my vote over what animal was said to wear lipstick, and who or what it might refer to because of a chuckle here or a titter there, but it will not change your vote, either or the vote of any other person.

It is of ZERO importance. Go on telling yourself that it is a big deal: this will not cause it to be a big deal.

People do not choose leaders based on porcine metaphors.

You go into hysterics at every tremble of every lip that favors your ancient bogus Maverick hero and her trusty sidekick Mrs Almost Alaska.

You are not taken seriously. I do not, take you seriously and neither does anyone else here. Nothing you say will change this election. I doubt that anything I say will change it, either.
===========
No one wants their country to be led by pigs or pitbulls. I don't think being a hockey mom qualified anyone for any sort of high office, either. Saying that you can put lipstick on a pig and iot will still remain a pig is not sexist. The gender of the pig in question is not even mentioned.

« Last Edit: September 10, 2008, 12:04:53 PM by Xavier_Onassis »

Kramer

• Repeal ObamaCare
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: September 10, 2008, 12:13:01 PM »
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZd_Y_D-RaA[/youtube]

Effective ad - Kramer likes it

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: September 10, 2008, 12:23:52 PM »

Kramer did not change his vote due to this ad.

It had no effect on that vote, so it is not effective.

"Effective" means that it had an effect. The only useful effect any ad can have is that it changes someone's mind.

It is a meaningless issue, it is an ineffective ad. Porcine metaphors are unimportant in the selection of political leaders.

Kramer

• Repeal ObamaCare
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: September 10, 2008, 12:29:51 PM »

Kramer did not change his vote due to this ad.

It had no effect on that vote, so it is not effective.

"Effective" means that it had an effect. The only useful effect any ad can have is that it changes someone's mind.

It is a meaningless issue, it is an ineffective ad. Porcine metaphors are unimportant in the selection of political leaders.

It goes without saying that if I like that you wouldn't. I know this add will help McCain and hurt Obama -- apparently you don't. I'm right you are wrong, extreme left of wrong.

richpo64

« Reply #29 on: September 10, 2008, 12:33:43 PM »
>>I hope that Palin doesn't snidely compare Obama to an animal though, that might be fair now , but still low on class.<<

The pig comment should really make people wonder, once again, about Barry's judgement and the judgement of his advisors. What did he think would happen? Even if he wasn't referring to Sarah, he should have know it would be taken that way and used against him. I know the left thinks all their hero's are genius's, but the more you hear Barry speak the more he's convincing folks he's not the brightest bulb in the pack. Women already think they've been abused by the democrats and since Obama isn't getting the White male vote, to lose a small percentage of women will be a disaster for him.