Author Topic: Wow - the Huckster's Racist Connection  (Read 4536 times)

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Wow - the Huckster's Racist Connection
« on: January 20, 2008, 06:25:16 PM »
from today's Hufpo - -
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/max-blumenthal/mike-huckabees-white-sup_b_82263.html

This stuff is political dynamite, or will be outside the South.  The Huckster taped an address to the Council of Concerned Citizens, successor to the white Citizens Councils formed to fight integration in the South, which was apparently "very well received" by the white racist audience.  The question now is whether the C of CC will release the Huckster's address to them so the country can judge for itself just how racist or non-racist the Huckster actually is.

The lead-in to the article also shows the Huckster doing a little [Confederate] flag-waving in South Carolina  for his current campaign and generally gives us a window into some of his seamier connections in the white racist South.  Really interesting stuff.  Scratch a Southerner, find a Klansman.  Probably holds a little less true today than it did in the 50s and 60s but I'll bet it's still the general rule.  They are getting better at covering it up, though.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
Re: Wow - the Huckster's Racist Connection
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2008, 07:04:56 PM »
Probably holds a little less true today than it did in the 50s and 60s but I'll bet it's still the general rule.  They are getting better at covering it up, though.

========================================
These are different people, Tee. The guys running the South in the 1950's (Bubba-One's) were in their 30's , 40's and 50's then, and are therefore now in their tombs or old folks' homes. If you were born in the 1920's, like a guy in his 30's was in 1960, you are now between 68 and 78 years old. These guys sons (Bubba Juniors) are 48-58, and their sons (Bubba III's) are 28-38.

They are less overtly racist with every generation. It would be really hard to get a decent lynch mob up these days, even if NWA gang-banged Miss Savannah.

It could be argued that chicken-fried steak was a powerful ally of the Civil Rights Struggle, because it no doubt clogged so many of Bubba-Ones' arteries. Of course, Southern cookin' was not kind to Black people, either.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

yellow_crane

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2008, 08:06:33 PM »

Geeez . . . wasn't long ago in here that racism was so occluded in terms of its existence in the South that we were supposed to feel dishonest if we brought it up.

I seem to remember that some even claimed that people in the South no longer call Blacks 'niggers.'

I would venture to propose that, before long at all, this race is about racism above every other issue at play.

Good thing it is not up to Memphis to decide the race.  We already know what that caucus has to say.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2008, 08:28:01 PM »
In lieu of his appearance, according to Baum, Huckabee "sent an audio/video presentation saying 'I can't be with you but I'd like to be speaker next time.'"

This took place in 1993.

fatman

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2008, 08:35:17 PM »
This took place in 1993.

I can forgive a statement, no matter how awful it is (and I'll admit that I'm clueless as to what this is referencing) after 15 years.  I am actually curious as to his response to the fact that in the past he advocated quarantining HIV victims.  Though some could make a legitimate point that this is a public health standpoint, I don't think that the fact that most HIV sufferers in this country are homosexual men escapes many people.

Personally, I think a President should be guided by his faith and moral beliefs, not necessarily ruled by them.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2008, 08:43:17 PM »
I think Blumenthal is making an issue out of thin air. He didn't appear in 93 and didn't appear in 94, though asked,  when the convention was held in little rock.

Dick Gephardt did speak at their convention at one time and when that was pointed out during the 2000 primaries, the seriousness of the issue faded away.

Go figure.

fatman

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2008, 08:51:51 PM »
Dick Gephardt did speak at their convention at one time and when that was pointed out during the 2000 primaries, the seriousness of the issue faded away.

Did Mr. Gehpardt ever find his eyebrows?

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2008, 09:04:26 PM »
I think they were over on 8th street

http://www.dlapiper.com/dick_gephardt/

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2008, 09:32:48 PM »
Page not found

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2008, 10:32:04 PM »
Huckabee To Pick Up Black Endorsement On MLK Day
Last Edited: Sunday, 20 Jan 2008, 5:49 AM EST
Created: Sunday, 20 Jan 2008, 5:35 AM EST

ATLANTA (AP) -- Republican presidential hopeful Mike Huckabee is set to pick up the endorsement of a conservative black church leader on Martin Luther King Day.

The Reverend Bill Owens, leader of the Coalition of African American Pastors, cited Huckabee's strong track record as governor of Arkansas in promoting blacks to board posts and embracing racial reconciliation.

Owens says he was not bothered by Huckabee's recent statements in South Carolina about the Confederate flag. Huckabee says it should be up to South Carolina whether to fly the symbol -- of racism to some, Southern pride to others -- over the state Capitol dome.

Huckabee is set to attend the Martin Luther King Day services at Atlanta's Ebenezer Baptist Church, where King had preached. He's the only one of the presidential candidates who'll be there Monday. Former President Bill Clinton will attend the tribute on behalf of his wife. U-S Senator Barack Obama is set to address the congregation there tomorrow, the day before the King Day services.

http://www.myfoxatlanta.com/myfox/pages/News/Detail?contentId=5535891&version=2&locale=EN-US&layoutCode=TSTY&pageId=3.2.1

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2008, 10:45:05 PM »
<<In lieu of his appearance, according to Baum, Huckabee "sent an audio/video presentation saying 'I can't be with you but I'd like to be speaker next time.'">>

The tape was "very well received" by the C of CC racists and has not been released to this day.

Think there's any good reason the ol' Huckster might have for NOT wanting folks to hear what he had to say to the C of CC?

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2008, 10:49:40 PM »
Considering the tape is 15 years old, perhaps he doesn't have it.

At least the article had the pertinent timeline. You continue to act like this happened yesterday.

It didn't.

yellow_crane

« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2008, 10:58:45 PM »
<<In lieu of his appearance, according to Baum, Huckabee "sent an audio/video presentation saying 'I can't be with you but I'd like to be speaker next time.'">>

The tape was "very well received" by the C of CC racists and has not been released to this day.

Think there's any good reason the ol' Huckster might have for NOT wanting folks to hear what he had to say to the C of CC?

If you factor in that Huckabee gets one in three votes in Repub South Carolina, and it is based on race as agreeing with, here, his Himmlerian leanings, what does that augur for Barack?

Will that thirty-three percent be balanced against the thirty-three held by Blacks?

From an overhead view, that would be an appalling visual of Racism, with two distinct factions breaking along clear color lines.

Better not say Race.  

The game, ladies and gentlemen, is hold'em!

Is Jesus the wild card?

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2008, 11:02:40 PM »
If he didn't have it, he'd SAY he doesn't have it.  If the C of CC doesn't have it, they'd say they don't have it.

If it's all so harmless and ancient history, how come they don't release it? 

Personally if a guy swore undying loyalty to the ideals of Adolf Hitler 20 years ago, I'd like to know about it.   Racism is racism.  The guy would have to have had a divine revelation like Paul on the road to Damascus to switch from being a racist pig in 1993 to an apostle of light and harmony in 2008.  And I don't believe in divine revelation.  I think how the guy thought on racial matters in 1993 is extremely relevant and the voters deserve to know.  The cover-up pretty well confirms what I'm thinking about it anyway.