Author Topic: Oil Nears $87  (Read 1615 times)

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Oil Nears $87
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2010, 08:30:40 AM »
Your ancestor was Everrett Ulysses McGill?

No. Guess again. There are a LOT of recreational lakes in Texas

Perhaps a sense of humor would have been apropos. Everrett Ulysses McGill was fictional.
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2010, 02:28:17 PM »
Not only fictional, but that lake was in Mississippi. I did like the film. A real hoot. That KKK scene was particularly amazing.

I wonder what sort of man would have preferred a hair grease called "Fop" to one called "Dapper Dan"?
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2010, 03:00:04 PM »
It started in Mississippi, but it's not confirmed that the entire movie was set in Mississippi. It would have been easy for their trip to take them to eastern Texas. After all, "Pappy" O'Daniel was a real person in Texas politics.
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2010, 06:27:38 PM »
When the film came out, the director stated that it was a musical based on Homer's tale of Ulysses, set entirely in Mississippi. Of course, "Pass the Biscuits Pappy" O'Daniel was a Texas governor and radio personality, but the story is fictional. Now perhaps it was not all FILMED in Mississippi (perhaps none of it was), but all the place names given are in Mississippi.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2010, 08:50:38 PM »
<<So why would you want the government to take it from the people?>>

Huh?  I want the government to take the oil from the corporations for the people. 

The government is not the people.

The government is not more effective or effecient at running oil businesses than are corporations.

People who do not want to be involved in the oil business do not have to buy into the corporation , people who do want to be involved can buy shares , corporations are closer to the people than are governments.

Misbehaveing corporations are easyer to destroy than misbehaveing governments.

Governments are just as likely to do wrong things with the resultant money as are corporations , but a lot more likely to get away with the shinanigans.

When you have a government of the people , you can attack bad corporations with the government .

When you have eliminated the corporations ,you make the oil industry unanserable.

If you are about to sing the praises of Civil servants , please use restraint , remember I am one and I don't want you to injure my humility.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2010, 09:04:02 AM »
The government is not more effective or effecient at running oil businesses than are corporations.

The people of Norway disagree with you on this. Perhaps the problem is that Americans are not Norwegians.

People who do not want to be involved in the oil business do not have to buy into the corporation , people who do want to be involved can buy shares , corporations are closer to the people than are governments.

No, they are not.When there is an election in a corporation, it is like a Soviet election: approve our candidates or reject them: there are seldom two slates of candidates from which to choose.

Those holding an interest in the corporation through a pension fund or mutual fund have no vote: the funds vote for them, and therefore not necessarily in their interests. Of those remaining shareholders, typically 25% actually bother to send in a vote. Quite frequently, the board must hire telephone solicitors to call shareholders and request their approval, because turnout has been insufficient for the changes in then proposal to be made.

The results of corporate elections are like the results in Soviet elections: those who do vote, approve by huge margins. But, as I said, few vote at all.