Author Topic: Here's one for you to think about...  (Read 1399 times)

Universe Prince

• Of course liberty isn't safe; but it is good.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Here's one for you to think about...
« on: December 22, 2006, 12:07:44 PM »
... a libertarian supporter of capitalism suggesting that happiness is a more important pursuit than money.

What is the point, say I? Would my life change in any significant way if I had, say, twice as much money as I now have? I already enjoy as good a car, house, TV, computer, food, entertainment, travel, etc. as I want. Greater wealth would not change my life in any significant way along any of these margins. I already have enough money to leave to my kids without spoiling them.

The whole thing at the other end of this link.
Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever.
--Hieronymus Karl Frederick Baron von Munchausen ("The Adventures of Baron Munchausen" [1988])--

Mucho

Re: Here's one for you to think about...
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2006, 01:04:53 PM »
... a libertarian supporter of capitalism suggesting that happiness is a more important pursuit than money.

This is indeed a rare and miraculous event. Thanx for sharing, UP.

Brassmask

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2006, 01:11:22 PM »

What is the point, say I? Would my life change in any significant way if I had, say, twice as much money as I now have? I already enjoy as good a car, house, TV, computer, food, entertainment, travel, etc. as I want. Greater wealth would not change my life in any significant way along any of these margins. I already have enough money to leave to my kids without spoiling them.

I'll try to read the whole article but I like the way he thinks.  It has always been my belief that once you reach a certain amount of income the rest will soon be regarded as so much gravy and as long as you're comfortable, there is no real reason to pursue a higher pay grade or more money other than pure ego.  It isn't really that benefitial to you and unless you intend to spend your time in philanthropic endeavors, it is sort of wasteful.

You know, Marko Moulitsas of DailyKos has put forward the idea of a libertarian liberal.  I'll try to find a link to that.

domer

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2006, 11:10:07 PM »
I'll throw my hat into the ring of this discussion. I would say a well-lived and meaningful life, necessarily stated broadly, should be a person's aim. Success should be measured by criteria other than money, which is only an incidental in life, not a defining feature, although it is necessary up to a certain point. Actually, this is a no-brainer: Christ has taught us all about it, among others.