Author Topic: Off-Topic Child Bragging  (Read 3432 times)

fatman

Re: Off-Topic Child Bragging
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2008, 08:57:09 AM »
Congratulations Brass, it sounds like you're doing a fine job of parenting.

That's a very funny story Ami.

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2008, 09:03:45 AM »

<<Guess all that ice and snow up there impedes development of walking skills - they gotta learn how to handle the snowshoes first, eh?>>

Guess I just took too small a sampling.  My grandson's 14 months and doesn't walk.  I have no idea when the other two grandchildren or even my own three kids or myself began to walk, but the good news is that we're all quite proficient at it now. 

BTW, thanks for that Odyssey of the Mind link.  That's very interesting and I'm telling my kids about it.  I see they have both New York state and Ontario organizations.

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2008, 10:47:49 AM »
Guess I just took too small a sampling.  My grandson's 14 months and doesn't walk.

That's ok, too. Some kids are just more inspired to get up and move around than others. He's still in the normal range. I think if he's not walking by either 16 or 18 months that you need to start worrying. I'm sure his pediatrician is keeping tabs on it.
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2008, 11:31:16 PM »
anyway I agree about the motivation factor
remember baby walkers?(not sure there still around or not)
it was proven they hinder baby walking developement.
the use of it does lower the drive to walk on thier own.
and I always say motivation is the key to intelligence.
shame most parents don`t have a good grasp what motivation means

Lanya

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2008, 03:08:22 AM »
anyway I agree about the motivation factor
remember baby walkers?(not sure there still around or not)
it was proven they hinder baby walking developement.
the use of it does lower the drive to walk on thier own.
and I always say motivation is the key to intelligence.
shame most parents don`t have a good grasp what motivation means

One of my next-door neighbors when I was really little used to get strolled around in a baby carriage, and I'd run along side.  The little girl's mother would tell my mother that all that running was bad for the heart. ;)

Yay Brass!  I'm so proud of you all. Such a sweet kid, and smart like his mom and dad.
Planned Parenthood is America’s most trusted provider of reproductive health care.

Brassmask

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2008, 08:47:41 PM »
Hey Brass, that's pretty cool.  I'm glad Memphis has a program like CLUE.  The truth is (and I'm not picking a political fight, just pointing out a parenting issue) many places have banned programs like TAG (Talented and Gifted) and the like because they single out children and, apparently, make the other children feel bad.  My kids were in TAG in Massachusetts but eventually they did away with the program.

Just something to keep in mind for the (not-so) far off future.  There is a great program called Odyssey of the Mind (OM) for Middle and High School kids. (It may be available at Elementary age, but I don't know.)  It encourages kids to be imaginative and solve problems.  My eldest son was in it in HS and they were asked to build a vehicle powered by a car bumper jack. His HS team worked on it and came up with a solution but didn't have sufficient time to put it together.  Rather than risk embarrassment at the competition, the whole team dropped out except Chris.  He worked all night to put together the design and it worked.  When he ran the course with it, the jack fell off halfway through.  Thinking quickly,, he simply used the jack to push the wheel to the finish line.  While he was technically disqualified, the judges congratulated him for creative thinking in dealing with the breakdown.  He then received an award called a Renatra (or something like that) for having the guts to show up when the rest of the team quit. 

Glad you are having such a great experience, but then being a Dad is the greatest experience you can have.  I'm not surprised your son is such a prodigy.  We often disagree politically, but I have never doubted your intelligence. 

Thanks, Stray,

It's very exciting and a little daunting.  I worry about his getting a big head.  He's a big-time charmer.

The other day he came in and asked, "Daddy, what does 'robust' mean?"  I had to check the dictionary because that is one of those words that I've always just known but not known.  I explained it meant 'healthy' or 'strong' and he just said, "Ah!" and walked away like I had explained something that he had heard and didn't understand.  It was one of those "he's a real person" moments.

I was actually in CLUE when I was in middle and high school and I don't think it was the best thing for me but I had other things going on.  I'm hoping it will give him a headstart.

Lanya,

Thanks for the kind words.  We are so proud.  Another gushy story...he came in from his room with an M&M in each hand and gave us each one saying, "One for Mommy and one for Daddy!" And we were both, "Well, thank you, little man!" and he just said, "It is my pleasure." and walked back to his room.

Got a little misty over that...gotta admit.

Sweet, sweet!.

B