Author Topic: McCain's Housing Problem Just Got Fixed  (Read 2577 times)

Kramer

• Repeal ObamaCare
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
McCain's Housing Problem Just Got Fixed
« on: August 21, 2008, 08:52:31 PM »

« Last Edit: August 24, 2008, 08:45:58 PM by BT »

Kramer

• Repeal ObamaCare
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
Re: McCain's Housing Problem Just Got Fixed
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2008, 09:12:05 PM »
Not only is Obama toast on this subject for a host of reasons --- he's burnt toast! ha ha ha I think he just shot himself in the foot...

McCain family owns 8 properties
By: Kenneth P. Vogel
August 21, 2008 07:27 PM EST

John McCain's family owns at least eight properties — not the seven Democrats are alleging or the four McCain's staff identified — according to a Politico analysis of property and tax records, as well as interviews.

The presumptive Republican nominee, though, may have some wiggle room in explaining why he couldn't immediately provide an answer when asked by Politico how many houses he and his wife, Cindy, own. Sen. McCain himself does not own any of the properties. They're all owned by Cindy McCain, her dependent children and the trusts and companies they control.

Brian Rogers, a McCain spokesman, did not question Politico's analysis, but said his boss's bungling of the how-many-homes question is a nonissue.

"Voters care a lot more about candidates' personal ethics than about how many houses or residences or doghouses that John and Cindy McCain own," he said. He questioned efforts by McCain's Democratic rival, Barack Obama, to exploit the issue, given that Obama benefited from a 2005 land deal with the wife of convicted Chicago businessman — and former Obama fundraiser — Tony Rezko that expanded the Obama family's newly purchased $1.65 million homestead.

"The reality is that Barack Obama purchased his million-dollar mansion in a shady deal involving a convicted felon, and it raises questions about his ethics and judgment," said Rogers.

Politico's analysis of the McCain records found that five of the eight properties were purchased between the summer of 2004 and this February, for a total of $11 million. And the analysis found that the McCains hired additional household help in 2007.

The five new properties are all condominiums, and they include three in Phoenix — one of which became the couple's primary Phoenix residence after a Cindy McCain family trust in 2006 sold for $3.2 million the house in which they raised their children — and a pair outside San Diego.

The new properties joined three previously owned by Cindy McCain, her dependent children and their trusts: a scenic ranch outside Sedona, Ariz., where John McCain has entertained staff, prospective running mates and political reporters; a three-bedroom Arlington, Va., condo that's been John McCain's Washington-area residence since 1993; a La Jolla, Calif. condo that is home to Cindy McCain's elderly aunt and on which the trust recently paid nearly $7,000 in back taxes.

The condo that serves as the McCain's primary Phoenix residence was purchased in 2006 for $4.7 million by Cindy McCain's trust. It is a 6,600-square foot unit.

Less than one year after the McCains acquired it, a corporation controlled by Cindy McCain bought another condo on a lower floor in the same building for $830,000.

And, in between, the corporation plunked down $700,000 for a 1,900-square-foot, three-bedroom loft condo for their then-22-year-old daughter, Meghan, who was moving back to Phoenix after graduating from New York's Columbia University. The unit is now listed for sale at $730,000.

Cindy McCain, through another family corporation, spent about $4.7 million in 2004 and 2008 on two condos in an exclusive building in Coronado, Calif., an affluent San Diego suburb noted for its high percentage of military retirees.

In an interview with Cindy McCain in the June issue of Vogue magazine, conducted from the newer Coronado condo, she explained that her husband, a Navy veteran, initially wasn't keen on the idea of a pied-à-terre in Coronado.

"When I bought the first one, my husband, who is not a beach person, said, 'Oh this is such a waste of money; the kids will never go,'" she said in Vogue. "Then it got to the point where they used it so much I couldn't get in the place. So I bought another one."

A McCain campaign aide who did not want to be identified discussing the McCain's personal finances, told Politico this summer that — other than the primary Phoenix residence — the new condos were "purchased for investment and are available for personal use by the McCain family."

The McCains increased their budget for household employees from $184,000 in 2006 to $273,000 in 2007, according to John McCain's tax returns.

The additional cash supports an "increase in the number of employees," the McCain aide told Politico. The aide did not answer a question about whether the growing staff stemmed from addition of new properties to the family's real estate portfolio.

http://dyn.politico.com/printstory.cfm?uuid=E6FEBDAC-18FE-70B2-A8C7B82668CDF377

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2008, 12:07:22 AM »
<<The McCains increased their budget for household employees from $184,000 in 2006 to $273,000 in 2007, according to John McCain's tax returns.>>

Whew, sure glad they're not elitists who spend millions on household employees.

<<The aide did not answer a question about whether the growing staff stemmed from addition of new properties to the family's real estate portfolio.>>

Of course not.  He didn't want to contradict BT's defence that McCain didn't know how many houses he and his wife owned, since they were all investment properties.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2008, 12:28:41 AM »
Of course not.  He didn't want to contradict BT's defence that McCain didn't know how many houses he and his wife owned, since they were all investment properties.

Once again your slur is inaccurate. John McCain does not own any of the properties.

Sen. McCain himself does not own any of the properties. They're all owned by Cindy McCain, her dependent children and the trusts and companies they control.

Details.

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2008, 12:40:32 AM »

<<Once again your slur is inaccurate. John McCain does not own any of the properties. >>

Oh, I see.  So it's Cindy who's the elitist.  He just happens to be the lucky guy who's married to an elitist.  I believe the question he didn't know the answer to was, How many homes did he and his wife own?  Or maybe not.  How would he know how many homes that "cunt" and "trollop" (his words, not mine) owned?  After all, he's only married to her.

<<Sen. McCain himself does not own any of the properties. They're all owned by Cindy McCain, her dependent children and the trusts and companies they control.>>

I am SO relieved.  This, I guess, makes him NOT an elitist.  He's only married to the woman who owns the eight homes and he only pays the salaries (over a quarter of a million a year) of the domestic workers who toil in his wife's eight homes.  THAT makes him a regular guy.  It's OBAMA, that piker who owns only one home, who's the "elitist" and let's not forget that. 

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2008, 12:54:57 AM »
Oh, I see.  So it's Cindy who's the elitist.  He just happens to be the lucky guy who's married to an elitist.

Depends on your definition of elitist.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2008, 01:01:21 AM »

<<Once again your slur is inaccurate. John McCain does not own any of the properties. >>

Oh, I see.  So it's Cindy who's the elitist.  He just happens to be the lucky guy who's married to an elitist.  I believe the question he didn't know the answer to was, How many homes did he and his wife own?  Or maybe not.  How would he know how many homes that "cunt" and "trollop" (his words, not mine) owned?  After all, he's only married to her.

<<Sen. McCain himself does not own any of the properties. They're all owned by Cindy McCain, her dependent children and the trusts and companies they control.>>

I am SO relieved.  This, I guess, makes him NOT an elitist.  He's only married to the woman who owns the eight homes and he only pays the salaries (over a quarter of a million a year) of the domestic workers who toil in his wife's eight homes.  THAT makes him a regular guy.  It's OBAMA, that piker who owns only one home, who's the "elitist" and let's not forget that. 

No , I think what you mean is that she is elete , being an eleteist is beleiveing in the human superiority of eletes , being elete is just being good at something not necessacerily haveing a swelled head about it.

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2008, 01:11:40 AM »
I think you (plane) and I have very different concepts of what "elitist" means in the context of Obama and his wife allegedly being "elitists."

My concept of "elitist" and what "elitist" means to Joe Sixpack is a snooty, privileged individual who was raised rich and has little contact with or knowledge of the common people and their lives and concerns.

John and Cindy McCain and their eight homes and their combined personal fortunes IMHO fit the picture of an elite a lot better than Michelle and Barak Obama.

Does this correspond with the dictionary's definition of "elite" and "elitist?"  I don't give a shit, I don't believe Joe Sixpack reads the dictionary every time he hears a polysyllabic word, but I don't think he knows their  exact meanings either.  That's what I think "elite" and "elitist" mean, or at least, that's how I think they're commonly understood.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2008, 01:18:22 AM »
I think you (plane) and I have very different concepts of what "elitist" means in the context of Obama and his wife allegedly being "elitists."

My concept of "elitist" and what "elitist" means to Joe Sixpack is a snooty, privileged individual who was raised rich and has little contact with or knowledge of the common people and their lives and concerns.

John and Cindy McCain and their eight homes and their combined personal fortunes IMHO fit the picture of an elite a lot better than Michelle and Barak Obama.

Does this correspond with the dictionary's definition of "elite" and "elitist?"  I don't give a shit, I don't believe Joe Sixpack reads the dictionary every time he hears a polysyllabic word, but I don't think he knows their  exact meanings either.  That's what I think "elite" and "elitist" mean, or at least, that's how I think they're commonly understood.

You think "elite" and "elitist"  are too  polysyllabic for the American voter?

If so then the term "stuffed shirt" will have to do , we don't have a poor person running for President , but we do have a guy who really was what Tom Cruze pretended to be and one who is willing to say that "bitter" hicks cling to their religion and guns.

I can't explain to you how Obama sometimes fails to connect with the Common American , I don't know how he got that way , but he connects pretty well with the common European , do they need a Presidential canadate ?

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2008, 01:23:24 AM »
<<If so then the term "stuffed shirt" will have to do , we don't have a poor person running for President , but we do have a guy who really was what Tom Cruze pretended to be . . . >>

Yeah?  Did Tom Cruise pretend to be making propaganda broadcasts for the Vietnamese?  What movie was that in?  I musta missed it.

<< . . . and one who is willing to say that "bitter" hicks cling to their religion and guns.>>

He's right on the mark with that one.  But try to paint him as an elitist, and you'll become awfully familiar with McCain's inability to tell you how many homes he and Cindy own.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2008, 01:37:26 AM »
If it doesn't matter to Joe Six Pack what the definition of elite is, why would it matter if Obama was dead on.

All that would matter is that they perceived that Obama slurred them, was talking down to them, was laughing at them

And i don't see how that translates into votes.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2008, 01:48:12 AM »
<<If so then the term "stuffed shirt" will have to do , we don't have a poor person running for President , but we do have a guy who really was what Tom Cruze pretended to be . . . >>

Yeah?  Did Tom Cruise pretend to be making propaganda broadcasts for the Vietnamese?  What movie was that in?  I musta missed it.

<< . . . and one who is willing to say that "bitter" hicks cling to their religion and guns.>>

He's right on the mark with that one.  But try to paint him as an elitist, and you'll become awfully familiar with McCain's inability to tell you how many homes he and Cindy own.

Sigh ... I really wish your statements could have national exposure , especially the ones where you say the common American voter can't understand "polysyllabic" words with two or three syllables or that Obama was right on the money with a disdainful opinion of the common man. Alas I doubt you will be quoted that widely , I can merely hope that someone more closely connected with Obama has an equally elitist disdain for Joe Six pax.

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2008, 01:53:05 AM »
<<If it doesn't matter to Joe Six Pack what the definition of elite is, why would it matter if Obama was dead on.>>

It doesn't, I just couldn't resist mentioning it in passing.

<<All that would matter is that they perceived that Obama slurred them, was talking down to them, was laughing at them>>

He may have slurred some of them, others will undoubtedly recognize themselves in Obama's portrayal and may even ruefully admit that he sure does seem to have their number.

<<And i don't see how that translates into votes. >>

Most of those folks would never vote for a black man anyway.  They're gone.  Some will admire Obama's guts for speaking up to them and hate Bush's policies (and by extension, McCain) so much that they'd be willing to swallow the insult, others may just simply feel McCain, for a variety of reasons, is the worse candidate.

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2008, 01:55:15 AM »
<<Sigh ... I really wish your statements could have national exposure , especially the ones where you say the common American voter can't understand "polysyllabic" words with two or three syllables or that Obama was right on the money with a disdainful opinion of the common man.>>

I believe I was referring to those Americans who get bitter and cling to guns and God.  That's NOT "the common man."  Those are the hicks, the rubes, the hillbillies.

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2008, 02:01:20 AM »
I believe I was referring to those Americans who get bitter and cling to guns and God.  That's NOT "the common man."  Those are the hicks, the rubes, the hillbillies.

Err, in the US, that's a majority of the population in most states. People who stick to big cities don't realize that, however.
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)