Author Topic: Shirley Sherrod, the fired racist USDA worker  (Read 1596 times)

Kramer

• Repeal ObamaCare
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Shirley Sherrod, the fired racist USDA worker
« on: July 20, 2010, 06:35:03 PM »
Shirley Sherrod should call a black lawyer, over a white lawyer, if she files a lawsuit against the Whites House. I figure her own kind would take care of her.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_upshot/resigned-usda-worker-white-house-forced-me-out;_ylt=AvlNt61GY_9Na0xTxis4fuWs0NUE;_ylu=X3oDMTRzYWZjcXI1BGFzc2V0A3libG9nX3Vwc2hvdC8yMDEwMDcyMC9yZXNpZ25lZC11c2RhLXdvcmtlci13aGl0ZS1ob3VzZS1mb3JjZWQtbWUtb3V0BGNjb2RlA21vc3Rwb3B1bGFyBGNwb3MDNQRwb3MDMgRwdANob21lX2Nva2UEc2VjA3luX2hlYWRsaW5lX2xpc3QEc2xrA3Jlc2lnbmVkdXNkYQ--

Resigned USDA worker: White House forced me out
By Andrew Golis andrew Golis 1 hr 21 mins ago

Shirley Sherrod, the Department of Agriculture official who resigned after conservative media outlets on Monday posted video of her recounting a story in which she says she didn't use the "full force" of her ability to help a farmer because he was white, tells the Associated Press that the White House forced her to resign.

She said the White House called her twice while she was driving, the second time to ask her to pull over and submit her resignation on her Blackberry phone.

In the video that surfaced this week, Sherrod, who is black, recounts having been asked to help a white farmer avoid foreclosure. She says she was torn over how much to help him because so many black farmers were also struggling, and decided to do just enough to be able to say she'd tried:

I didn't give him the full force of what I could do. I did enough. ... So I took him to a white lawyer. ... I figured if I would take him to one of them, his own kind would take care of him.

Sherrod told CNN on Tuesday that she had been telling the story of her actions — which, she said, occurred 24 years ago when she was working for a nonprofit, not the USDA — to illustrate how she has since realized that everything is not about race but "about those who have versus those who do not have." She said she later became friends with the farmer and his wife.

In fact, the farmer's wife defended Sherrod on Tuesday, saying in a phone interview with CNN that Sherrod was "getting in there and doing all she could do to help us."

Kramer

• Repeal ObamaCare
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
Re: Shirley Sherrod, the fired racist USDA worker
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2010, 06:49:34 PM »
Now this is interesting

http://www.ajc.com/news/farmers-wife-says-fired-574027.html

Farmer's wife says fired USDA official helped save their land

By Marcus K. Garner and Christian Boone

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
5:19 p.m. Tuesday, July 20, 2010

The wife of the white farmer allegedly discriminated against by the USDA's rural development director for Georgia said Shirley Sherrod "kept us out of bankruptcy."

Eloise Spooner, 82, awoke Tuesday to discover that Sherrod had lost her job after videotaped comments she made in March at a local NAACP banquet surfaced on the web. Sherrod said a U.S. Department of Agriculture official forced her to resign.

Sherrod, an African-American, told the crowd she didn't do everything she could to help a white farmer whom she said was condescending when he came to her for aid.

"What he didn't know while he was taking all that time trying to show me he was superior to me was, I was trying to decide just how much help I was going to give him," Sherrod said in the video, recorded March 27 in Douglas in southeast Georgia.

But Spooner, who considers Sherrod a "friend for life," said the federal official worked tirelessly to help the Iron City couple hold onto their land as they faced bankruptcy back in 1986.

"Her husband told her, ‘You're spending more time with the Spooners than you are with me,' " Spooner told the AJC. "She took probably two or three trips with us to Albany just to help us out."

Spooner spoke to her friend by phone Tuesday morning.

"She's very sad about it," Spooner said. "She told me she was so glad we talked. I just can't believe this is happening to her."

Sherrod's resignation was announced Monday night by U.S. Agriculture Secretary Tom Vilsack. Despite the new revelations, the USDA released a statement late Tuesday afternoon defending the decision.

"First, for the past 18 months, we have been working to turn the page on the sordid civil rights record at USDA and this controversy could make it more difficult to move forward on correcting injustices," Vilsack said. "Second, state rural development directors make many decisions and are often called to use their discretion. The controversy surrounding her comments would create situations where her decisions, rightly or wrongly, would be called into question making it difficult for her to bring jobs to Georgia."

Sherrod, in her first interview after the clip surfaced, told the AJC the video was selectively edited. She said the video posted online Monday by biggovernment.com and reported on by FoxNews.com and this newspaper misrepresented the message she was trying to convey.

"For Fox to take a spin on this like they have done, and know it’s not the truth … it’s very upsetting," said Sherrod, 62, who insisted her statements in the video were not racist. "I was struggling with the fact that so many black people had lost their farmland, and here I was faced with having to help a white person save their land. So I didn't give him the full force of what I could do. I did enough."

Sherrod noted that few news reports have mentioned that the story she told happened 24 years ago -- before she got the USDA job -- when she worked with the Georgia field office for the Federation of Southern Cooperative/Land Assistance Fund.

"And I went on to work with many more white farmers," she said. "The story helped me realize that race is not the issue, it's about the people who have and the people who don't. When I speak to groups, I try to speak about getting beyond the issue of race."

Andrew Breitbart, who runs biggovernment.com, did not respond to an interview request.

Sherrod accused the USDA of cowering to right-wing media.

"They were just looking at what the Tea Party and what Fox said, and thought it was too [politically] dangerous for them," Sherrod said of her former employer.

The release of Sherrod's statements came a week after the NAACP issued a resolution calling some elements of the National Tea Party racist for comments made against President Barack Obama and African-American congressmen during the health care debate.

Sherrod was appointed to her position in by Obama's administration in July 2009 to manage more than 40 housing, business and community infrastructure and facility programs, and more than $114 billion in federal loans.

The AJC is working to recover the full video footage of Sherrod's speech to the Douglas NAACP. A production company, DCTV3 in Douglas, recorded the event at the local NAACP chapter's request and is waiting for the chapter's permission to release the full speech.

"We broadcast it on cable," Wilkerson said. "Somebody probably picked it up and recorded it, then put it on YouTube. That's probably why the video looks so shabby."

Sherrod said it wouldn't have made any sense for her to espouse racist comments before the NAACP audience.

"There were some white people there. The mayor [of Douglas] was there," Sherrod recalled. "Why would I do something racist if they were there?"

Mayor Jackie Wilson told the AJC she introduced speakers at the banquet but left before Sherrod's speech.

Wilson said she did not hear of any controversy in the weeks following the banquet, adding she was shocked to learn of Sherrod's resignation.

"She's not someone I know extremely well, but I respected her and thought she was doing a good job. And she seemed to be a fair person," said Wilson, who was city manager before becoming mayor 2 1/2 years ago. "I just hate that this kind of thing happened in Douglas."

Eloise Spooner told the AJC she intends to stand up for her friend.

"She helped us and we're going to help them," she said.

--Staff writer Larry Hartstein contributed to this report.

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2010, 08:41:24 PM »
I`m pretty sure i mentioned that vid was cut short

Kramer

• Repeal ObamaCare
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2010, 08:50:16 PM »
I`m pretty sure i mentioned that vid was cut short

call the white house and let them know.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2010, 09:19:37 PM »
Breitbart and Obama were both wrong on this one.

Kramer

• Repeal ObamaCare
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2010, 09:26:07 PM »
Breitbart and Obama were both wrong on this one.

time after time Obama's instincts are wrong. can't recall a president being wrong so consistently, time after time. being wrong is OK occasionally but when you are elected to the highest office in the land better judgment goes with the job. he's a child.

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2010, 10:22:02 PM »
The white farmer and his wife, Mr. & Mrs. Spooner, were on CNN this afternoon, both of them being pressed on what Sherrod did or didn't do for them.  As far as they're concerned, she's the one who saved their farm, and both of them have the highest regard for her.  They seemed extremely surprised to find out that she's accused of "racism" in their case.

The right wing, in an attempt to roll back the Civil Rights and Voting Rights Acts, have adopted this totally fantastic mythology about how the white race is now "oppressed," (i.e., the "pendulum" has swung too far) and apparently they are so desperate for material to support this ludicrous proposition that they will seize upon anything they can find, however ridiculous.  Hence, the Sherrod "story."

Kramer

• Repeal ObamaCare
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2010, 10:44:44 PM »
The white farmer and his wife, Mr. & Mrs. Spooner, were on CNN this afternoon, both of them being pressed on what Sherrod did or didn't do for them.  As far as they're concerned, she's the one who saved their farm, and both of them have the highest regard for her.  They seemed extremely surprised to find out that she's accused of "racism" in their case.

The right wing, in an attempt to roll back the Civil Rights and Voting Rights Acts, have adopted this totally fantastic mythology about how the white race is now "oppressed," (i.e., the "pendulum" has swung too far) and apparently they are so desperate for material to support this ludicrous proposition that they will seize upon anything they can find, however ridiculous.  Hence, the Sherrod "story."

her braggadocios words sunk her.

Seems like she did a good enough job for the crackers.

The way I see it she got up in front of the brothas & sistas and shot off her mouth trying to shuck and jive with the best of them racists and her embellishments caught up with the truth. Now she will be called an Uncle Tom for helping Whitey and letting the brothers farms get foreclosed on in the process.

The NAACP is a cesspool!

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2010, 10:50:02 PM »
editing being selective or even just careless can reverse the meaning of an event .

I want to see her whole speech now, I am beginning to suspect that she was telling a story of the "I learned from this" sort.

Is it possible to speak in public now without ensureing that evey phrase you say can stand alone as perfectly PC and need no context?

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2010, 11:52:59 PM »
I want to see her whole speech now, I am beginning to suspect that she was telling a story of the "I learned from this" sort.

In the quest for gotcha moments i think we forget the value of truth and insult the intelligence of our audience.

Kramer

• Repeal ObamaCare
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2010, 12:13:42 AM »

In the quest for gotcha moments i think we forget the value of truth and insult the intelligence of our audience.

the press checked out a long time ago. we have nothing that can be called 'the press'

most of them joined the Dem Party.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2010, 12:25:26 AM »
the press checked out a long time ago. we have nothing that can be called 'the press'

Well you are correct about the MSM being late to the party on this one. But woe onto Breitbart if he creatively edited the video.

And Woe onto the USDA if they requested Sherrods resignation for this minor thunderstorm. I think there is more to the story, than her remarks at the Douglas Chapter of the NAACP.

Kramer

• Repeal ObamaCare
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2010, 12:29:39 AM »

Well you are correct about the MSM being late to the party on this one. But woe onto Breitbart if he creatively edited the video.

And Woe onto the USDA if they requested Sherrods resignation for this minor thunderstorm. I think there is more to the story, than her remarks at the Douglas Chapter of the NAACP.

yup

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2010, 10:33:59 AM »
The woman was monumentally stupid to give this speech: it served no useful purpose to here or anyone at all. Least of all the NAACP. She should always be aware that there are dolts like Kramer waiting in the wings to flap and crow about "reverse racism" and other crapola that has become lodged in their teensy minds. To such individuals, every action that any Black person makes must be interpreted as an us vs. them confrontation, to be flapped and crowed about at the slightest provocation.

It is, however, not any evidence of the NAACP's policies, and should not be taken as such. I think her speech was just a bit of braggadocio about how she wanted to portray herself as someone with the power to hurt White people who did not actually use it for that purpose. Her intent was to show herself (especially to herself) as a powerful person who COULD have been as nasty as Mr. Whitey, but who merely did not knock herself out doing this farmer a favor. What we have not heard., and will not hear, is the conversation between her and the farmer, which is what put her in the mood to do whatever she did, and more importantly, to cause her to make this stupid speech. This might be what she might have said to her husband or some confidant, but was clearly not the sort of thing one says in public. There is no evidence that what she said she did was what she actually did. After all, Mr. White Farmer did not lose his land, and Mr. White lawyer (who she indicates she thought was not up to snuff) therefore seems to have done his job.

Apparently, whatever it was she did to help save the White farmer's farm, worked. So she did not deserve to be fired for failure to do her duties. But she did project the wrong image of the attitude that she may or may not have had when she handled this farmer's affair.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."