Author Topic: This is not good........  (Read 7010 times)

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: This is not good........
« Reply #45 on: December 12, 2011, 01:39:10 PM »
Compare the menu at Deny's with that of any large German restaurant chain. Some things are similar, many are not.

Looking at the Denny's menu, with the exception of a couple of the soups and some of the deep fried dishes, most everything else would be common in Germany (with different names, and usually a wider selection of cheeses).

How's about we compare it with what's actually served in traditional homes and restaurants in Germany, rather than what is served in German chains across the ocean?

After all, what's served in Chinese restaurants in the US bears little resemblance to what's actually eaten in China. What's served in Indian restaurants in the US bears little resemblance to what's actually eaten in India. The same is true of German restaurants in the US - they typically serve what Americans *think* the Germans eat all the time, whether or not that dish is commonly served in Germany.

I was talking to an Indian friend of mine once about Indian food in restaurants here. He called it "wedding food" - stuff that is laid out at weddings because it's cheap and tasty, not what would be served in a home or family restaurant in India.

I was eating at Mader's in Milwaukee a few years back, and ordered the Leberknoedelsuppe as an appetizer. After eating it, I was asked by the waitress how I liked it and I told her it tasted just like my mom's. She said that it was her recipe (because the cook didn't know how to make it "properly") and after a bit of discussion, it turns out that she grew up near my mother, just outside of Graz. I ordered the Franconian Chicken Schnitzel for dinner (Chicken breast sauteed with onions, mushrooms, chopped tomatoes and garlic, simmered in Madeira wine veloute sauce. Served with spaetzle and julienne vegetables). Typical German dish, and would be common throughout the US as well - they make something similar at Appleby's, for example. It's called the "Smothered Grilled Chicken" served with mashed potatoes instead of noodles (Spaetzle are egg noodles).
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #46 on: December 12, 2011, 01:56:13 PM »
Denny's seems only to mention Swiss, Cheddar and American cheese, as I recall. I have not seen a German restaurant chain menu, so I cannot compare the two.

I agree that many "ethnic" restaurants are not typical of the countries they claim they emulate. No one gets free fortune cokies in China, so far as I know.

I hate salt cod, or at least I have tried it in many forms and it has always been rather awful.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #47 on: December 12, 2011, 04:01:05 PM »
China has no
Egg foo young
General cho chicken
Moo goo gai pan
Chop suey
Pupu platter
I finally had general chicken last year, thats some good eatin.
Some day i'll find a place that serves pupu platter, it looks great online

BSB

« Reply #48 on: December 12, 2011, 04:04:51 PM »
The real reason Germany has had a greater influence over this country than England isn't in the diet, but rather it's the fact that we speak German.

BSB

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #49 on: December 12, 2011, 05:38:17 PM »
Shame though
The pub i went had polka night and the group i'm with just couldn't get into it. I'm the only one willing to try. All this diversity stuff is not exactly polka compatable. But then i'm willing to do the chicken dance also. I have no shame