Author Topic: Iran Fears Attack from Four Directions  (Read 7137 times)

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Iran Fears Attack from Four Directions
« Reply #30 on: July 04, 2010, 02:08:37 PM »
<< He also said that the objective was NOT to capture bin Laden or defeat Al Quaeda but to target ALL terrorist groups of global reach and ANY nation that lent them aid. >>

Again, not referring at all to the disastrous invasion of Iraq.

Iraq demonstrably supported terrorism and clearly met the description in his initial speech.  I see your tactic now.  You are trying to insist that the war on Iraq does not "count" because it doesn't fit your narrow description of the objective of this war.  The problem is that YOUR description of the objective doesn't fit Bush's STATED description of the objective.

Pooch = nail....Tee = head:   See Pooch hit Tee     ;)

<<In fact, the toppling of the Iraqi regime was a perfectly valid objective in this war.  Ending a nation which supports TERRORISM - not "Al Quaeda" but ANY terrorist organization, was part of the original mission.  Iraq clearly supported international terrorist groups . . . >>

First of all, "terrorism" is a method, not an ideology.  All nations, including the U.S.A., have used and supported terrorists.  The U.S. sheltered for years a terrorist who was  convicted years ago (i.e. before Hugo Chavez) in a Venezuelan court of blowing up a Cuban civilian airliner and killing over 70 civilian passengers.  The U.S. supported the Contras who waged a terrorist campaign against the legitimate Nicaraguan government of the day.  To this day the U.S. refuses to pay damages assessed against it in the World Court for its support of terrorism.  

I never said terrorism was an ideology.  You(r) political whining doesn't change the facts.  As to the US supporting regimes that have used terrorist tactics, that's probably true.  Too bad.  Communism has a history of deadly suppression of the people of the countries where it has been established.  You still support it.  You support your ideology by suggesting that anybody who fights against communism is a fair target.  Well, I feel the same way about freedom (you know, the opposite of communism).  So I have no problem using the tactics of Joseph Stalin and Mao Tse Tung against communists, Islamists and fascists (all of who are from the same mold).....Bush did not mention ONLY terrorists who targetted America.  Again, he said all terror groups of global reach.  Further, Hussein himself attempted to have the elder Bush assassinated.  You keep trying to redefine Bush's definition of this war.  It was NOT just against terror organizations who had attacked Americans on American soil.  That is YOUR claim - not the President's.

*golf clap*     8)

"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: July 04, 2010, 02:15:55 PM »
That there will be no day of reckoning for the guilty just proves to me that there is no God.

Both segments of that opinion will change.
=======================================================================
I wonder when that will happen.

Why should there be a reckoning, in which God sets everything right again?
Why would God allow things to go bad in the first place, and then bop in and set it all right?
Either way (maintaining perfection or imposing perfection) are intervention, and that is, we are told a violation of our supposed "free will".

There are three [possibilities here, not two:
(1) There is no God, and therefore will be no "day of reckoning", (though the Sun going supernova and the Earth being burned up by it would certainly seem like one).
(2) There is a God, and He will pop in and set things right in a "day of reckoning".
(3) There is a God and He does not intervene, and there will be no "day of reckoning".

And here we sit, not at the Center of the Universe, but on the trailing arm of a minor galaxy of the Milky Way, just waiting for our ice cream/ the fun to start/Jesus to return/ take your pick...
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: July 04, 2010, 02:18:25 PM »
Confucius say:

To man with hammer, everything look like nail.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: July 04, 2010, 02:56:35 PM »
Good for Confucius, bad for Tee
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: July 04, 2010, 03:34:15 PM »
Whoever thought to connect "the terrorists" he mentioned in 2002 with the invasion of Iraq?  That is totally absurd.

Well, I'm pretty sure he mentioned it again when he was asking Congress to pass the war authorization later on that year against Iraq. So, not quite so absurd.

Of course it's "and counting."  The estimates were based on the war dead and wounded as they existed at the time of the study.  There are ongoing costs, there is a withdrawal at some future date which could have its own costs.  There was no way to include costs of future Iraq-related actions in the estimates.

The estimate included a continuing war for several years. I'm pretty sure we haven't yet hit the number of dead and wounded that the estimates are based on yet.
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: July 04, 2010, 04:14:59 PM »
The estimate included a continuing war for several years. I'm pretty sure we haven't yet hit the number of dead and wounded that the estimates are based on yet.
==================================
How many was that?

And when the last of those soldiers has died, are we likely to up and leave?

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: July 04, 2010, 04:28:34 PM »
No, THEN you can accurately apply the reference "and counting", vs the misrepresentation of it, in its current form

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: July 04, 2010, 04:58:16 PM »
<<Now.  THIS IS CONCLUSIVELY BEFORE THE WAR IN IRAQ, THE WAR IN AFGHANISTAN or ANY front in the war on terrorism.  THIS IS CONCLUSIVE PROOF that Bush warned America this would be a long war with many fronts.

<<How will you change your story now to make your argument fit the facts?>>

LMFAO.  What "facts?"  That Bush mentioned Iraq peripherally if at all in a generic "get anyone who supports the bastards?"  The question should be, how are YOU gonna twist the facts to fit your argument?  Bush was not specifically calling for an invasion of  Iraq at that time.  He was not suggesting that one particular nation was such a leading supporter of terrorism that it had to be the immediate focus of what turned into a $3 trillion dollar war.

Bush in fact was ranting and raving, threatening the entire roster of nations with his vengeance if even one of them "supported terrorism" (which, BTW, was exactly what the U.S. and Israel have been doing all along, Israel since its inception.)  NOBODY took that speech as an incitement to invade Iraq or as a serious threat against Iraq.  He couldn't possibly have been more general.

When the time came for a serious campaign to persuade the American people to invade Iraq, the threats and the causes were much more specific.  "Support of terrorism" was hardly mentioned, the main focus of the campaign was the non-existent and patently absurd "Weapons of Mass Destruction" and the threat of the mushroom cloud.

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: July 04, 2010, 06:09:20 PM »
<<Iraq demonstrably supported terrorism and clearly met the description in his initial speech. >>

There were many nations, the U.S. and Israel included, that "supported terrorism" at the time.  Iraq was a minor player in the "supporting terrorism" game and there was no indication at that time that Bush was proposing to invade Iraq.   

<<I see your tactic now.  You are trying to insist that the war on Iraq does not "count" because it doesn't fit your narrow description of the objective of this war.  The problem is that YOUR description of the objective doesn't fit Bush's STATED description of the objective. >>

My tactic is very transparent.  Against all the bullshit arguments for invading Iran today, I juxtapose the same bullshit arguments for invading Iraq in 2003 to show that the war-mongering bullshit of the fascists, militarists and Zio-Nazis never changes.  It was bullshit then and it's bullshit now.  It was lies then and it's lies now.  It was ruinously expensive then and it will be even more ruinously expensive now.  It accomplished nothing then and it will accomplish nothing now.  (Apart from the ownership of the oil wells changing hands out of the public eye.)  I hope that's clear enough for you.

<<And how's that Jihad working out?  Where is this great hero.  Well by gosh, he's hiding out of sight. >>

And he calls himself a guerrilla leader!!!  Just curious, plane, but WTF did you expect?  A Playboy Mansion where he holds court and receives guests and diplomatic representatives, look me up, the number's in the book?

<<The whole world knows where President Bush is.  Any clown with a PC can get the coordinates of the White House, the Capital, the Pentagon, you name it.  They know where we are.  >>

Really?  How about where the drone controllers operate their killer drones from?  I understand it's underneath a shopping mall in Las Vegas.  You got an address for that mall?  Can ya find it on Google Earth?  Think they're still there now when even a schmuck like me knows that much?

<<How is that "destroying America" thing working out for the mighty Jihad. >>

Maybe you know some other group of a few hundred men that have cost the U.S. what they forced it to spend.  Please, tell us, who could they be?  Your whole fucking nation teeters on the brink of insolvency and these guys did it all on a budget that probably is less than any mid-sized American city's.  You're on the edge of an abyss and I can't think of any group that had more to do with your predicament than al Qaeda and the ruinous wars they tricked you into starting.

<<They could, of course, be more effective than say, putting a poorly constructed malfunctioning bomb in Times Square and then claiming that the almighty Allah had struck a blow for them in the great Jihad (I suppose some of the SUV was damaged, and maybe it was American made or something.  Praise Allah!) >>

Well, first I'd like to see some kind of proof that this guy really was al Qaeda or similar.  Like the Amsterdam-Detroit bomber, there's enough going wrong with these "monstrous attempts" that really shouldn't be going wrong that, especially in the case of the airline "bomber," you have to wonder if these aren't just U.S. government theatricals staged to persuade wavering taxpayers that all the money spent on "Homeland Security" has to be spent.  But if these guys are genuine, it just proves that it's more luck than skill that keeps the jihad from scoring.  That wouldn't reassure too many sane and normal people, or it shouldn't.  It means that the vulnerability remains despite all the torture, invasions, massacres and violence you have initiated.  As you say, the game ain't over till it's over.

<<Whether Iraq was directly involved in 9-11 or not is NOT relevent to the attack.  Toppling a regime that supported terrorism was within the scope of our multinational war.  And it worked.  Not only did Saddam get hung, but Khaddafi (pick a spelling) got his balls cut off.  Syria also started looking carefully at how far it was willing to go.  Iran is still beligerant, but a smackdown now would further illustrate the point - and it WOULD work.  I did not suggest that this point wasn't TRUE - I suggested that it was irrelevent.  It is. >>

Syria was always careful about how far it would go.  Ever since the 1973 Yom Kippur War.  Khaddafi could have been equally intimidated with a lot less effort than invading Iraq.  Iran IMHO was encouraged to get nukes. Iran's influence over its Iraqi neighbour was increased tenfold.  So whether or not Iraq's involvement or non-involvement in 9-11 is "irrelevant" - - and to me it is pure insanity to attack them for an attack on the U.S. in which they weren't involved - - the results of the invasion were pure disaster (apart from the oil) and neither advanced the "war on terror" (in fact it probably recruited hundreds of thousands to the other side) nor the national interests of the U.S.

<<And again, you make my point for me.  If the Taliban has not been defeated, why is Afghanistan not governed by them? >>

Who says it's not governed by them?  Once you get outside Kabul, it IS governed by them.

<<I never said terrorism was an ideology.  You political whining doesn't change the facts.  As to the US supporting regimes that have used terrorist tactics, that's probably true.  Too bad.>>

Kinda undercuts your justification for attacking Iraq, though, doesn't it?

<<  Communism has a history of deadly suppression of the people of the countries where it has been established.  >>

Bullshit.  Communism does not suppress "the people," they suppress the enemies of the people.

<<You still support it.  You support your ideology by suggesting that anybody who fights against communism is a fair target. >>

God-damn right I do.  Either you're for the Revolution or you're against the people.

<< Well, I feel the same way about freedom (you know, the opposite of communism). >>

First of all what you support has nothing to do with freedom.  If Mubarak or the Kings of Jordan and Saudi Arabia are "Freedom," then I am V. I. Lenin.   The U.S.A. stands for fascism abroad, torture, arbitrary arrests and assassinations, even of its own citizens.  To confuse the U.S.A. with Freedom is absurd.  Regardless, the simple fact is that what I support is good and what you support is evil.  So you can't equate your support of "Freedom" (as you so absurdly call it) with my support of Communism.

<<  So I have no problem using the tactics of Joseph Stalin and Mao Tse Tung against communists, Islamists and fascists (all of who are from the same mold).>>

More of the same wrong-headed crap.  What you stand for is dead wrong, but because YOU stand for it, you can defend it with the tactics that you consider evil.  Pooch, it wouldn't matter HOW you supported your dead-end ideology, you could use the tactics of Joe Stalin AND Mother Teresa or both, and you'd still be in the wrong.  Why?  Because your cause sucks.  Because despite all the fine window dressing you hang around it, it still stands for militarism, fascism and the oppression and exploitation of the poor and helpless by the rich and powerful.

<<Bush did not mention ONLY terrorists who targetted America.  Again, he said all terror groups of global reach.  Further, Hussein himself attempted to have the elder Bush assassinated.  You keep trying to redefine Bush's definition of this war.  It was NOT just against terror organizations who had attacked Americans on American soil.  That is YOUR claim - not the President's. >>

My point is that Bush's rant against "anyone" who supported "terrorism" was in such general terms that no one would take it as a call to invade Iraq.  That came much later, and when it did, specific reasons were invented for it, not the general "they support terrorism" which would never have justified an invasion and a war in the eyes of the American people.  They needed to see much more specific threats than that.

<<The Soviet Union, without many of the restraints that democracy has put on us, couldn't do that either.  If we had unlimited warfighting authority - if we could fight a war like the world used to fight wars - we could destroy the Taliban with sheer brutality.  We could do pretty much whatever we wanted.   If we started hanging everyone who even looked like a Taliban supporter, then buried their bodies wrapped in pigskin, the Taliban would soon lose its motivation for battle. Oh it would piss off a lot of the people - but it is easier to join up when the enemy is expected to  try to win your hearts and mind instead of opening them up with a bayonette.  If we nuked a few mountain ranges in Northern Pakistan, we could pretty well end the Al Quaeda threat - though bin Laden would never be found (at least not without a geiger counter).  If we did that, we WOULD win, win decisively, win permanently and establish quite safely (with the exception of the occasional Times Square bomber) any government we wanted there.  You would of course then complain about our barbaric war practices, so in your mind even absolute victory would be wrong.  Of course, in the case I have described, I would be inclined to agree with you. >>

The old "coulda woulda shoulda."  Sorry, Pooch, it's the sure mark of a loser.  Cuts no ice with anyone.  You have broken every law of civilized warfare in your pursuit of the Taliban.  Raped, tortured and murdered.  Massacred.  Terrorized.  It got you nowhere.  Could you have been more brutal?  Even the Nazis could have been more brutal.  There is some natural law here based on a division between government and governed.   People obviously as the record shows will put up with a lot of brutality and savagery committed in their name but there are limits.  Even the Nazis didn't go so far as to publicize death-camp exterminations to their own people.  The real rulers of America can get away with a lot of shit, God only knows, but that does not mean that there are no limits on them.  What you interpret as a saintly restraint is nothing but their common sense of self-preservation.  At some point even the dumb-ass American people (those who aren't fascists and militarists) will wake up and say, "Hey!!!  Not in our name, buddy!!"  The ruling class knows when to stop short of that point.

<<But the Taliban is defeated for all practical purposes.  >>

They are growing stronger as we speak.  They rule Afghanistan outside Kabul and they will rule in Kabul too one day.  The Americans themselves are just looking for a face-saving formula.

<<The Islamist movement has made too many enemies in too many regions to continue to grow as a powerful ideology.  It can take over countries, but when it begins to threaten areas outside the region, it can only play the competing powers against each other for so long.  Iran is beginning to find that out.  Germany found that out a bit too late.>>

You may be right specifically with regard to the "Islamist movement" whatever that may be.  But in Afghanistan, admittedly a pretty backward corner of the world, I see its star as still rising.

<<So you set yourself up as some educated, intelligent genius and try to denigrate my own knowledge base. >>

Where'd I try to denigrate your knowledge base?

<< Well, you may have read more books by leftist idiots and the occasional marxist tome, but I am no more impressed with your credentials than you are mine.  I have educated myself, both by study and experience, about the conditions, the mindsets and the parties involved in this crisis.  I can hold my own in a debate with a partisan communist any day of the week.  It's just that communists don't admit when they are wrong, they just change the facts to fit their theories.>>

Excuse me, but if this rant is related in any way to my allegedly extolling my own knowledge at the expense of yours, I'd at least like to know what particular post of mine got you started in on this.

<<Both segments of that opinion [That there will be no day of reckoning for the guilty just proves to me that there is no God] will change.>>

That opinion will never change.   As an American, you just better hope that there is no God.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: July 04, 2010, 11:04:03 PM »
The real rulers of America can get away with a lot of shit, God only knows, but that does not mean that there are no limits on them.  What you interpret as a saintly restraint is nothing but their common sense of self-preservation.  At some point even the dumb-ass American people (those who aren't fascists and militarists) will wake up and say, "Hey!!!  Not in our name, buddy!!"  The ruling class knows when to stop short of that point.

These limits are pretty close , the biggest diffrence between McCristal and Petrayus is likely to be exactly where to draw the line on rules of engagement.

The Taliban , and especially Al Queda do not need to worry about being brutal or not Saddam might have had some limit but it must have been way out there.

There isn't any better advantage to terrorism than this , that they need not worry about pleaseing their people , terror itself is good enough to keep them in line.

This puts them in a bad mindset tho , they are trying to use the same tool on every problem and the surest way to get an American shooting at you is to frighten him.

Is that not true?

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #40 on: July 04, 2010, 11:59:28 PM »
<<The Taliban , and especially Al Queda do not need to worry about being brutal or not >>

They obviously do have to worry about it because al Qaeda in Iraq lost a lot of local Sunni support over their fanaticism and brutality.

<<Saddam might have had some limit but it must have been way out there.>>

Saddam was an American puppet for most of his career.  As long as he did what the Americans told him to do, nobody, least of all the Americans, gave a shit about his limits or lack thereof.

<<There isn't any better advantage to terrorism than this , that they need not worry about pleaseing their people , terror itself is good enough to keep them in line.>>

As we saw with al Qaeda in Iraq, it was not enough to keep people in line, they lost their natural local allies.  The terrorist can't live without the support of the people he fights for.  They shield and protect him, they warn him of enemy (American) movements.

<<This puts them in a bad mindset tho , they are trying to use the same tool on every problem . . . >>

They usually have only ONE problem and that problem's initials are U.S.A.

<< . . . and the surest way to get an American shooting at you is to frighten him.

<<Is that not true?>>

No, I wouldn't say that.  I think the surest way to get an American shooting at you is to be sitting atop some oil deposits that he covets.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #41 on: July 05, 2010, 12:28:17 AM »
<< . . . and the surest way to get an American shooting at you is to frighten him.

<<Is that not true?>>

No, I wouldn't say that.  I think the surest way to get an American shooting at you is to be sitting atop some oil deposits that he covets.

Oh , and has Canada had this problem?

Does Canada sell oil at less than current price?

Do you mean that you don't think that frightened Americans shoot?

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #42 on: July 05, 2010, 12:46:12 AM »

<<There isn't any better advantage to terrorism than this , that they need not worry about pleaseing their people , terror itself is good enough to keep them in line.>>

As we saw with al Qaeda in Iraq, it was not enough to keep people in line, they lost their natural local allies.  The terrorist can't live without the support of the people he fights for.  They shield and protect him, they warn him of enemy (American) movements.

Whether they serve so out of love or fear isn't important to the Al Quieda is it?

Somebody still loves OBL . The rest can be cowed.

Stray Pooch

• Pray tell me, sir, whose dog are you?
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #43 on: July 05, 2010, 03:16:44 AM »
<<Iraq demonstrably supported terrorism and clearly met the description in his initial speech. >>

There were many nations, the U.S. and Israel included, that "supported terrorism" at the time.  Iraq was a minor player in the "supporting terrorism" game and there was no indication at that time that Bush was proposing to invade Iraq.   

Do you really intend to continue your silly argument that "Bush never mentioned Iraq" means Bush did not intend to attack Iraq?  That's pretty lame, MT, because Bush mentioned that there were, IIRC OVER 60 nations worldwide that supported terrorism.  He did NOT name 60.  He named probably about two or three.  Iraq had already been identified as a threat nation in need of regime change by the CLINTON administration.  We had been involved in a military action to suppress Iraq only ten years earlier.  Was it really a shock to see that Iraq was on that list of nations?  Please.  You have decisively lost this argument and you are grasping at straws.

My tactic is very transparent.  Against all the bullshit arguments for invading Iran today, I juxtapose the same bullshit arguments for invading Iraq in 2003 to show that the war-mongering bullshit of the fascists, militarists and Zio-Nazis never changes.  It was bullshit then and it's bullshit now.  It was lies then and it's lies now.  It was ruinously expensive then and it will be even more ruinously expensive now.  It accomplished nothing then and it will accomplish nothing now.  (Apart from the ownership of the oil wells changing hands out of the public eye.)  I hope that's clear enough for you.

Yes, it is.  This is the part that is clear:   "My tactic is very transparent." "It was bullshit then and it's bullshit now."

<<And how's that Jihad working out?  Where is this great hero.  Well by gosh, he's hiding out of sight. >>

And he calls himself a guerrilla leader!!!  Just curious, plane, but WTF did you expect?  A Playboy Mansion where he holds court and receives guests and diplomatic representatives, look me up, the number's in the book?

No.  How about a leader's mansion? You know like Number 10 Downing Street or the White House.  If he is a great hero and a great leader and wonderfully successful at his mission why is he afraid to walk out in the open?  President Obama does.  President Bush does.  Presidents Clinton, Carter and Bush the elder do.  It can't be money.  Bin Laden is a rich man.  But he has no mansion, no seat of power, no office, no residence, no forwarding address.  He is hiding.  We're not hiding - he is.  We have a government.  He has a dwindling organization of loose cannons.  We have an entire city of government buildings.  He has a hideout.  We have an infrastructure.  He has an apartment somewhere where he is trying to invent a shoebomb that works.  We have an army.  He has a lot of dead friends and untrained fanatics.  We brought down two governments.  He brought down two buildings. This is your idea of a guy who's kicking our ass.  I brushed some dandruff off my shoulder this morning.  It was a far bigger hit on me than anything bin Laden has done or will do.  I watched fireworks this evening to celebrate 234 years of freedom.  He is hiding in a hole somewhere watching the skies for predator drones.  I sleep in the same bed every night, and never worry that some big, bad Muslim boogieman can get me.  He moves from place to place and pisses himself everytime he sees a bird's shadow on the ground.   Great hero my backside.

Really?  How about where the drone controllers operate their killer drones from?  I understand it's underneath a shopping mall in Las Vegas.  You got an address for that mall?  Can ya find it on Google Earth?  Think they're still there now when even a schmuck like me knows that much?

Well, see they are actually involved in the war.  Bin Laden isn't.  He's the "leader" hiding out of harm's way.  Obama doesn't control the drones, because he is a political leader - not a military one.  Now, General Petraeus, see, he has a HEADQUARTERS.   He shows up in public places.  Bin Laden, the great hero, can't do this because we would kill him.  He knows where OUR leaders are, but he can't kill them.  If we knew where he was, he would be dead in minutes.    He's had nine years to kill Bush, but he can't do it.  He isn't even a little threat.  So, we have driven him out of his stronghold into a hiding place, we have toppled the regime that supported him.   He has drawn us out of our country to go to HIS country to punish him.  Every time his piss ant soldiers show themselves and come against us, we kill them.  Lots of them.. Far more of them than they kill of us.  But you keep talking all you want to about how he is kicking our ass and the Taliban runs Afghanistan.  You keep talking, because the silence would otherwise have to be filled with a reality you love to deny but that keeps laughing at you.

<<How is that "destroying America" thing working out for the mighty Jihad. >>

Maybe you know some other group of a few hundred men that have cost the U.S. what they forced it to spend.  Please, tell us, who could they be?  Your whole fucking nation teeters on the brink of insolvency and these guys did it all on a budget that probably is less than any mid-sized American city's.  You're on the edge of an abyss and I can't think of any group that had more to do with your predicament than al Qaeda and the ruinous wars they tricked you into starting.

Oh, you mean we're having money problems and it had nothing to do with the mortgage meltdown, the horrors of deregulation and the inherent evils of our capitalist system?  Gosh, Michael, you should try to save some of that ammo for another thread.  You're getting your causes and effects all higgeldy-piggeldy.   So OK, you're right.  I was unaware of it while I was spending the money I make from my military retirement and my current decade-old job or my wife's excellent sales bonuses and regular salary, but apparently the nation has done been destroyed right out from under me!  I guess that means I can finally stop paying the damn IRS.  Wonder what the President and Congress are doing now that our government has been toppled?  Gosh darn them pesky Talibanners. 

Yeah, like I said, how's that Jihad going?

<<They could, of course, be more effective than say, putting a poorly constructed malfunctioning bomb in Times Square and then claiming that the almighty Allah had struck a blow for them in the great Jihad (I suppose some of the SUV was damaged, and maybe it was American made or something.  Praise Allah!) >>

Well, first I'd like to see some kind of proof that this guy really was al Qaeda or similar.  Like the Amsterdam-Detroit bomber, there's enough going wrong with these "monstrous attempts" that really shouldn't be going wrong that, especially in the case of the airline "bomber," you have to wonder if these aren't just U.S. government theatricals staged to persuade wavering taxpayers that all the money spent on "Homeland Security" has to be spent.  But if these guys are genuine, it just proves that it's more luck than skill that keeps the jihad from scoring.  That wouldn't reassure too many sane and normal people, or it shouldn't.  It means that the vulnerability remains despite all the torture, invasions, massacres and violence you have initiated.  As you say, the game ain't over till it's over.

Hmm, so you're saying, in response to my claim that Al Quaeda hasn't been successful except for a few failed attempts that they weren't really EVEN Al Quaeda attempts.  And in fact, another good point to prove that Al Quaeda has TOO been successful, dammit, is that they are SO successful at attacking our country that our own government has to MANUFACTURE terror attacks to make it look like Al Quaeda is, umm, being successful in attacking, umm, us because they are, uhh, so . . . successful . . . wait.  Wait a minute, that wouldn't make any sense.  You wouldn't MANUFACTURE terror attacks if Al Quaeda was ALREADY successful in attacking us since 9-11.

Look, I'm sorry, but your logic is getting a little confusing.  Now, I'm saying Al Quaeda's mighty Jihad isn't working, cuz they aren't getting any attacks in on us.  You give me three options.  Either the only attacks that DID seem to work at least in theory are actually US manufactured attacks (which would mean Al Quaeda has had ZERO successful attacks on America) or they were failed attempts by terrorists who were NOT Al Quaeda (which would mean Al Quaeda has had ZERO successful attacks on America) or it was just good luck on our part, not skill (which would mean Al Quaeda has had ZERO successful attacks . . . wait, is this Deja Vu?).  Of course, maybe you meant to assign that lack of skill to the brilliant plotters of these attacks which is justified.   But see, I just can't see how any of your claims rebut my point that Jihad ain't working so well for the mighty hidden warriors of Allah.

<<I never said terrorism was an ideology.  You political whining doesn't change the facts.  As to the US supporting regimes that have used terrorist tactics, that's probably true.  Too bad.>>

Kinda undercuts your justification for attacking Iraq, though, doesn't it?

Nope.  You smack my wife, I shoot you.  You smack somebody else's wife, meh.

<<  Communism has a history of deadly suppression of the people of the countries where it has been established.  >>

Bullshit.  Communism does not suppress "the people," they suppress the enemies of the people.

Yeah, just like Hitler did.  He killed the enemies of the people - Jews, Gays, Catholics, those type.  Damn shame about those enemies of the people, though.  They keep popping up in commie countries and going and having to get themselves killed, like in China in Tiananmen Square.  Or those damn pesky enemies of the people like Lech Walesa.  He sure ain't a "people."  Damn enemy didn't even have the courtesy to get himself killed, dammit!  Went and got a whole lotz of them enemies of the people and got the workers of Poland to unite!  Karl Marx would have just been APPALLED at somebody uniting the workers against an oppressive regime.  And then ya know what them enemies of the people went and done?  Michael, ya wouldn't belief the NERVE Of them people - I mean ENEMIES of the people.  They went and OVERTHREW the Soviet Union.  Then the whole damn Iron Curtain went and rusted straight through, and the walls came a-tumblin' down around the Brandenburg Gate and THOUSANDS of them enemies of the people started shouting and singing and acting like they was free, instead of stuck on the wrong end of a wall or something.  And all that just a few decades after Saint Joey the Stalinite had already killed MILLIONS of them enemies!  That damn enemy of the people Nikita Kruschev even had the nerve to apologize for that wonderous act of noble mass murder.  He shoulda been hung for it!  Stupid enemy!

But hey THANK GODLESS for Pol Pot.  He sure knew how to take care of those enemies, didn't he?  And Chairman Mao?  Yeah, a real hero of the people there. 

Communists are mass-murderers by ideology.  Like all tyrants they are scared to death (and justifiably, as the fall of the Soviets and their satellites has proved, and the uprisings of the Chinese population continue to demonstrate) of the ACTUAL people - the real bread-and-butter workers and ordinary folks who got initially fooled by promises of "land, bread and peace" none of which came true.  The useful idiots who have the nerve to get wise.  Your pathetic, transparent, bigotted crap about those millions killed  by communist regimes being "enemies of the people" have the same filthy stench as the claims by slaveholders that blacks were not people, but property.  It is EXACTLY the same rationale as Hitler used for killing millions of people.  It was the same motivation that led European settlers to give smallpox-infected blankets to indigenous people.  You talk about American soldiers being murderers.  They are rank amateurs in the face of ANY Communist regime.  Fortunately, America is STILL a strong 234 year old nation, while the mighty Soviet Union is a fading memory that lasted far less than a century, Communist China is quietly abandoning communist practice for Capitalist gains and the few remaining countries who actually take communism seriously have to survive by crushing the will of the people (like in Venezuela) or starving the population (like In North Korea) and then still only amount to a fart in a whirlwind in the real world. 

Enemies of the people, my eye.  The enemies of the people in communist countries are all party members.

<<You still support it.  You support your ideology by suggesting that anybody who fights against communism is a fair target. >>

God-damn right I do.  Either you're for the Revolution or you're against the people.

The "revolution" is not, and never has been the people.  It is only a transfer of wealth and power from one elite set of people to another.  The only difference is that the first group generally earned the power and wealth and knew how to maintain it.  No Communist system ever made life better for its population, created any real wealth (except when it resorted to capitalism) or succeeded in any real way. 

<< Well, I feel the same way about freedom (you know, the opposite of communism). >>

First of all what you support has nothing to do with freedom. 

I support the free election of leaders in a multiple-party system.  That's freedom.  You support sham elections in a one-party system.  That's oppression.  I support the right to earn your keep, make your way and better yourself and your family.  That's freedom.   You support the subjugation of the individual to the state.  That's oppression.  I support the right to worship God, protect my family and do what I choose to do.  That's freedom.  You support the abolishment of religious freedom, the dismantling of the family unit and giving the state the right to dictate my choices.  That's oppression.  You wouldn't know how to define freedom.  You think forced labor, mass-murder and government control is freedom.  What I support has EVERYTHING to do with freedom.  What you support has only to do with oppression.

If Mubarak or the Kings of Jordan and Saudi Arabia are "Freedom," then I am V. I. Lenin.   The U.S.A. stands for fascism abroad, torture, arbitrary arrests and assassinations, even of its own citizens.

If Lenin, or Stalin, or Mao are better than Mubarak or any of the governments you complain about than I am V. I. Lenin's gay, atheist lover.  And you must have made a typo.  You said U.S.A. when I'm sure you meant USSR. 

To confuse the U.S.A. with Freedom is absurd. 

To confuse Communism with good is far worse.

Regardless, the simple fact is that what I support is good and what you support is evil. 

Leaving aside the continued demonstration of your inability to distinguish fact from opinion, your opinion in this case is 180 degrees out of phase with reality.

So you can't equate your support of "Freedom" (as you so absurdly call it) with my support of Communism.

I wouldn't equate it.  My support of freedom (as I so correctly call it) is far superior to your support of communism.

<<  So I have no problem using the tactics of Joseph Stalin and Mao Tse Tung against communists, Islamists and fascists (all of who are from the same mold).>>

More of the same wrong-headed crap.  What you stand for is dead wrong, but because YOU stand for it, you can defend it with the tactics that you consider evil. 

And this differs how from YOUR assertion that those tactics are OK when YOUR side uses them?  You obviously consider these tactics as acceptable, so the only reason they would be wrong is if used by those YOU don't support.  Your position has no more merit logically, morally or ethically than mine.  I would have to say, to use your muddle-headed term, that you're just spouting off wrong-headed crap.

Pooch, it wouldn't matter HOW you supported your dead-end ideology, you could use the tactics of Joe Stalin AND Mother Teresa or both, and you'd still be in the wrong.  Why?  Because your cause sucks.  Because despite all the fine window dressing you hang around it, it still stands for militarism, fascism and the oppression and exploitation of the poor and helpless by the rich and powerful.

You just described communism in ever iteration it has ever existed.

My point is that Bush's rant against "anyone" who supported "terrorism" was in such general terms that no one would take it as a call to invade Iraq.  That came much later, and when it did, specific reasons were invented for it, not the general "they support terrorism" which would never have justified an invasion and a war in the eyes of the American people.  They needed to see much more specific threats than that.

That is your opinion.  It is not fact.  What Bush said about this being a long, multi-objective, multi-national war is fact.  You used the argument that Bush never said anything about length, difficulty, etc. BEFORE the war until I proved that was not the case.  Then you switched to "No, but THAT doesn't count because, umm, it wasn't ABOUT Iraq, only the other numerous nations and lengthy battles and potential heavy casualties he mentioned."   But I didn't fight you with opinions.  I fought you with facts.   But I did offer some opinions.  That's when your searing logical abilities stepped up to the plate (The sarcasm alert was implicit there, right?):

<<So you set yourself up as some educated, intelligent genius and try to denigrate my own knowledge base. >>

Where'd I try to denigrate your knowledge base? . . .

Excuse me, but if this rant is related in any way to my allegedly extolling my own knowledge at the expense of yours, I'd at least like to know what particular post of mine got you started in on this.

<<Ooops!  I guess "greeted as liberators" has kind of worn out its welcome.  Now there's another hare-brained scheme to replace it - - you'll "drive the hardliners and the opposition together."  And you know this of course by your long and patient study of Iran, its government, people and customs.>>

<<Both segments of that opinion [That there will be no day of reckoning for the guilty just proves to me that there is no God] will change.>>

That opinion will never change.   As an American, you just better hope that there is no God.

I am an American, and an American soldier at that.  I don't hope their isn't a God, I know there is one - and that fact gives me comfort, not fear. 
Oh, for a muse of fire, that would ascend the brightest heaven of invention . . .

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #44 on: July 05, 2010, 07:17:38 AM »
<<Do you really intend to continue your silly argument that "Bush never mentioned Iraq" means Bush did not intend to attack Iraq?  That's pretty lame, MT, because Bush mentioned that there were, IIRC OVER 60 nations worldwide that supported terrorism.  He did NOT name 60.  He named probably about two or three. >>

You are quoting from a speech that addressed very general concerns in the wake of a very specific attack on U.S. soil.  There were threats to any nation that supported terrorism and that Iraq received honourable mention perhaps with others did NOT indicate that the U.S. was about to invade Iraq.  Nobody at the time took that speech to be a warning of an attack about to be launched, and in fact when the time came to invade Iraq, a whole new pretext had to be invented to "justify" the attack - - it was the absurd "Weapons of Mass Destruction" rather than "supporting terrorism" which was the main featured reason in the campaign to prepare America for that particular war.  In more general terms, the Bush administration decided that they would emphasize fear (of the mushroom cloud) rather than punishment (for "supporting terrorism") as the primary motivator of the American pro-war population.  Your interpretation of the earlier speech as a clear indicator of an intent to invade Iraq has the benefit of hindsight but in reality that speech was never intended nor taken as a justification for the invasion of Iraq, and the conclusive proof of that is the invention of brand-new reasons for the invasion in the immediate run-up to it.

<< Iraq had already been identified as a threat nation in need of regime change by the CLINTON administration.  >>

Again with nothing specific enough to justify immediate invasion.  A lot of threats are issued by the U.S. against a lot of countries, as its generally favoured (to say nothing of its much cheaper) tactic of intimidation.  However when the decision to attack is actually set, then specific reasons for each new act of aggression, be it the "Gulf of Tonkin incident" or the "Weapons of Mass Destruction" fiction, have to be invented fresh for the occasion.

<<We had been involved in a military action to suppress Iraq only ten years earlier.  >>

Yes, for a very specific reason having nothing at all to do with "support of terrorism."

<<Was it really a shock to see that Iraq was on that list of nations?  Please. >>

Uh, no, I don't think I claimed it to be a shock.  As I said, the speech was broad enough to include any country the U.S. would deem to be "supporting terrorism," and it was NOT specifically directed at Iraq, though you try mightily to reconstrue its meaning that way, with the assistance of hindsight.

<< You have decisively lost this argument and you are grasping at straws.>>

Declare victory, hit ENTER.  Never fails, does it?

<<Yes, it is.  This is the part that is clear:   "My tactic is very transparent." "It was bullshit then and it's bullshit now.">>

That's pretty childish, Pooch.  When you want to address the substance of the argument that you just "answered," which dealt with the similarity of the justifications for  the attack on Iraq and the prospective one on Iran, let me know.

<<No.  How about a leader's mansion? You know like Number 10 Downing Street . . . why is he afraid to walk out in the open?  President Obama does.  . . . [OBL] is hiding.   . . . He has a dwindling organization of loose cannons.  We have an entire city of government buildings.  He has a hideout.  . . . >>

Exactly.  That's WHY he's a folk hero.  He's put his life on the line, attacked the Oppressor successfully in a bold and daring operation that nobody anticipated, showed millions of oppressed people with nothing to lose that it  IS possible,  lives his life on the run and DESPITE the power of the Oppressor, has outlasted nine years of unremitting effort by cowardly men who live in palaces ringed by guards and billion-dollar "security" devices to bring his head in on a platter.

<< . . he is trying to invent a shoebomb that works. >>

We don't even know that that was HIS effort.  It's highly suspicious to me how many "terrorist" efforts come down to nothing due to errors that a grade ten student wouldn't commit.  Whether the efforts were genuine or not (something that I don't think we'll ever know for sure) OBL is known to every Muslim, not for the shoe bombs, but for the Twin Towers.  

<<We have an army.  He has a lot of dead friends and untrained fanatics.>>

He prefers to call them martyrs.  It's what happens when you take on the world's biggest and most powerful Oppressor.  It's a fate they're not afraid of and they're not intimidated by.  

<<We brought down two governments. >>

Those fights are still going on, and what you intended to do with the countries whose governments you brought down is still undetermined.  You have not been able to subdue either country despite the vast disparity in your sizes and your resources, and quite frankly, you are just making yourselves look like the punks you are when piss-ant nations are fending off your aggression for as long as they have been doing.  The Third Reich AND the Japanese Empire both went down in less time.

<<He brought down two buildings. This is your idea of a guy who's kicking our ass.>>

When I add up the cost of what you had to lose to make up for those two buildings, then, yeah, I say this is the guy who's kicking your ass.  And blackening your reputation in the process.  Before all this you were able to pose as the "good guys" but that little luxury is gone too, Abu Ghraib and Guantanamo and Baghram Base and rendition and black sites and John Yoo all took care of that for you.   Millions of oppressed people all over the world were radicalized not only by OBL's action but by your own reaction.

<<I brushed some dandruff off my shoulder this morning.  It was a far bigger hit on me than anything bin Laden has done or will do. >>

Geeze, good point, Pooch, but whatever happened to "This morning I shat out a turd that was bigger than OBL?"  Punchy.  Powerful.  Persuasive.  Bin Laden as bodily wastes.  The possibilities are endless.

<<I watched fireworks this evening to celebrate 234 years of freedom. >>

A mindless orgy of self-congratulation.  Your freedom that always meant somebody else's oppression or slavery.

<<He is hiding in a hole somewhere watching the skies for predator drones.  I sleep in the same bed every night, and never worry that some big, bad Muslim boogieman can get me. >>

That's an old, old story.  He fights the Oppressor that you served without a single pang of conscience.   So it's only natural that he watches the skies for threats while you sleep safe in your bed at night.  He chose the path of the hero and the martyr, you cast your lot with the Oppressor.

<<He moves from place to place and pisses himself everytime he sees a bird's shadow on the ground.   Great hero my backside.>>

You can make up any kind of fictional bin Laden you like.  The guy fought the Red Army for years in the mountains before he took on the Americans.  I don't think he pisses himself at much of anything, but maybe you know him better than I do.  If I wanted an example of a leader pissing himself at a bird's shadow, first guy I'd think of would be Dick Cheney after 9-11, but WTF would I know?

<<Well, see they [shopping-mall drone soldiers] are actually involved in the war.  Bin Laden isn't.  He's the "leader" hiding out of harm's way.  Obama doesn't control the drones, because he is a political leader - not a military one.  Now, General Petraeus, see, he has a HEADQUARTERS.   He shows up in public places.  Bin Laden, the great hero, can't do this because we would kill him.  He knows where OUR leaders are, but he can't kill them.  If we knew where he was, he would be dead in minutes.    He's had nine years to kill Bush, but he can't do it.  He isn't even a little threat.  So, we have driven him out of his stronghold into a hiding place, we have toppled the regime that supported him.   He has drawn us out of our country to go to HIS country to punish him.  Every time his piss ant soldiers show themselves and come against us, we kill them.  Lots of them.. Far more of them than they kill of us.  But you keep talking all you want to about how he is kicking our ass and the Taliban runs Afghanistan.  You keep talking, because the silence would otherwise have to be filled with a reality you love to deny but that keeps laughing at you.>>

Bullshit.  You know your soldiers AND your politicians are both cowardly little shits.  Your soldiers for example never disclose their names or their units on operations against the people of Afghanistan or Iraq.  They all adopt nicknames to use on operations and they shun media identification.   I remember reading Ernie Pyle's accounts of the American soldiers of WWII.  Ernie Pyle made a point in every story he filed to identify by both name and home-town as many of the soldiers around him as he could.  It sold newspapers and the men weren't afraid to tell the world who they were and what they were doing to the enemy.  Your Special Ops forces wear masks in addition to concealing their names and identities.  When your politicians visit Baghdad or Kabul, it's always a "surprise" - - they drop in unannounced and leave the same way.  When the visit's all over, then it's announced in the press.  Hardly the brave, open, unafraid types you try to portray.  They're scared shitless of the people they oppress and of their avengers.

<<Oh, you mean we're having money problems and it had nothing to do with the mortgage meltdown, the horrors of deregulation and the inherent evils of our capitalist system? >>

No, I mean you have money problems and you don't have the trillions spent or to be spent on the wars you embarked upon.  Your credit has been impaired.  The problems you always had due to the evils of your system, as you correctly posited, but you used to have extra money lying around to cushion the shock.  Where's that extra dough now?  Oh, wait!  I guess you mean the cost of war and "Homeland Security" and the "Defense" establishment is all so trifling that it doesn't have any effect on your predicament at all.  Chump change and all that.

<<I was unaware of it while I was spending the money I make from my military retirement and my current decade-old job or my wife's excellent sales bonuses and regular salary, but apparently the nation has done been destroyed right out from under me! >>

No, I guess if YOU'RE OK then the whole fucking country's OK.  My mistake.  I figured that the trillions spent on wars of choice were important sums, but I can see how wrong I was.  All's well with Pooch and Mrs. Pooch, so obviously, all's well with the nation.

<<Yeah, like I said, how's that Jihad going?>>

And like I said, it's cost you TRILLIONS and you're headed for the economic toilet.  THAT'S how the jihad is going.

<<Hmm, so you're saying, in response to my claim that Al Quaeda hasn't been successful except for a few failed attempts that they weren't really EVEN Al Quaeda attempts.  And in fact, another good point to prove that Al Quaeda has TOO been successful, dammit, is that they are SO successful at attacking our country that our own government has to MANUFACTURE terror attacks to make it look like Al Quaeda is, umm, being successful in attacking, umm, us because they are, uhh, so . . . successful . . . wait.  Wait a minute, that wouldn't make any sense.  You wouldn't MANUFACTURE terror attacks if Al Quaeda was ALREADY successful in attacking us since 9-11.>>

I'm not even going to try to untangle that knot of twisted logic, but I will state what I said in terms so clear that even you won't be able to twist them into some unrecognizable contortion.  A multi-trillion dollar industry (including Homeland Security) depends on "threats" from the outside against America.  When the threats aren't coming in fast enough, they need to be manufactured.

<<Look, I'm sorry, but your logic is getting a little confusing.  Now, I'm saying Al Quaeda's mighty Jihad isn't working, cuz they aren't getting any attacks in on us.  You give me three options . . . >>

Forget it, Pooch.  Just concentrate on the essentials and stop tap-dancing.  Threats = justification for Homeland Security.  No threats = no justification for Homeland Security.  There.  Is it really all that complicated.  Yes, OBL has fucked you up big-time, but that's damage that's already done and can't ever be repaired.  THAT money is gone.  Homeland Security needs new threats, all the time.  Got it?

<<Nope.  You smack my wife, I shoot you.  You smack somebody else's wife, meh.>>

Israel's your wife?  The way I look at it, OBL kicked your ass.  So shoot him (if you can!)  Saddam paid death benefits to the families of suicide bombers who killed Israeli citizens.  That was smacking someone else's wife.  That was "meh."

<<Yeah, just like Hitler did. >>

Nope.  NOT like Hitler did.  Hitler was a creation of capitalist powers meant to counter the rise of communism in Germany.

<<He killed the enemies of the people - Jews, Gays, Catholics, those type. >>

Bullshit.  None of them were enemies of the people.  Enemies of the people are those who support the rich against the poor.  The landowners against the peasants.  The factory owners against the factory workers.  The police against the Revolution.  THOSE are the enemies of the people.  In Germany, the Hitler and the Nazis were themselves the enemies of the people and had to be liquidated.  In the end, that's exactly what the Red Army did.

<< Damn shame about those enemies of the people, though.  They keep popping up in commie countries and going and having to get themselves killed, like in China in Tiananmen Square.  Or those damn pesky enemies of the people like Lech Walesa.  He sure ain't a "people."  Damn enemy didn't even have the courtesy to get himself killed, dammit!  Went and got a whole lotz of them enemies of the people and got the workers of Poland to unite!  Karl Marx would have just been APPALLED at somebody uniting the workers against an oppressive regime.  And then ya know what them enemies of the people went and done?  Michael, ya wouldn't belief the NERVE Of them people - I mean ENEMIES of the people.  They went and OVERTHREW the Soviet Union.  Then the whole damn Iron Curtain went and rusted straight through, and the walls came a-tumblin' down around the Brandenburg Gate and THOUSANDS of them enemies of the people started shouting and singing and acting like they was free, instead of stuck on the wrong end of a wall or something.  And all that just a few decades after Saint Joey the Stalinite had already killed MILLIONS of them enemies!  That damn enemy of the people Nikita Kruschev even had the nerve to apologize for that wonderous act of noble mass murder.  He shoulda been hung for it!  Stupid enemy!>>

Counter-revolutionaries ARE the enemies of the people.  I don't think Poland is any better off for the fall of its communist government and a lot of Polish working-class people now unemployed and paying for their own medical care don't think so either.  I don't think China's worse off for the failure of the student counter-revolutionaries in Tienanmen Square either.  China's doing OK, even if the "democracy activists" (read, U.S. stooges) don't like it.

<<But hey THANK GODLESS for Pol Pot.  He sure knew how to take care of those enemies, didn't he?  And Chairman Mao?  Yeah, a real hero of the people there. >>

Cheap trick lumping Pol Pot with Chairman Mao.  There's nothing in common between them.  Pol Pot was a left deviationist, Mao was a Communist hero.   There's  a lot more reason to lump George W. Bush with Adolf Hitler, but that doesn't seem to please conservatives at all.  They like to make the invidious comparisons, it's not something they're happy to see done by others.

<<Communists are mass-murderers by ideology. >>

Bullshit.  They're selective executioners by the necessity of history.

<<Like all tyrants they are scared to death (and justifiably, as the fall of the Soviets and their satellites has proved, and the uprisings of the Chinese population continue to demonstrate) of the ACTUAL people - the real bread-and-butter workers and ordinary folks who got initially fooled by promises of "land, bread and peace" none of which came true.  >>

More bullshitl  They have a realistic appreciation of the dangers of counter-revolutionaries and other enemies of the people who agitate ceaselessly against socialist authority and will sabotage it by any means available if left to their own devices.

<<Your pathetic, transparent, bigotted crap about those millions killed  by communist regimes being "enemies of the people" have the same filthy stench as the claims by slaveholders that blacks were not people, but property.>>

Nothing in common with that, except that you choose to say there is.

<<  It is EXACTLY the same rationale as Hitler used for killing millions of people. >>

More bullshit.  The enemies of the people are as I described them.  They were not Jews, gypsies, gay people, communists or freemasons, who are the people that Hitler exterminated.  You are just making up shit and hoping it will stick, but it is bullshit nevertheless.

<< It was the same motivation that led European settlers to give smallpox-infected blankets to indigenous people. >>

Again, more bullshit.  You know that the settlers were racist ass-holes who coveted the Indians' lands.  They did NOT consider the Indians to be "enemies of the people."  That is such bullshit garbage I wonder how you can make this up with a straight face.

<< You talk about American soldiers being murderers.  They are rank amateurs in the face of ANY Communist regime. >>

Yeah, tell that to the victims and their families.  Tell that to the surviving family of Abeer, the 14-year-old Iraqi girl raped and murdered by U.S. marines.  Tell the mother that her daughter's rapists and murderers were rank amateurs and how much worse it would have been for her daughter to have fallen into the hands of communists.  You would never have the balls to say that face to face with the mother and you know it.  Tell it to the families of the My Lai Massacre victims, to the father of the guy tortured to death in Baghram Base prison.   Two million Vietnamese dead, show me the Communist regime that murdered two million of its own citizens.  At least the Communists killed to produce a better world, free of exploiters of mankind, free of racists and fascists and anti-Semites.  What was the U.S. killing for?  Oil?  The wealth of the rich?

<<Fortunately, America is STILL a strong 234 year old nation, while the mighty Soviet Union is a fading memory that lasted far less than a century, Communist China is quietly abandoning communist practice for Capitalist gains and the few remaining countries who actually take communism seriously have to survive by crushing the will of the people (like in Venezuela) or starving the population (like In North Korea) and then still only amount to a fart in a whirlwind in the real world. >>

Communist China got to where it is by communism.  By the will of the Communist Party.  And it's still communist today.  The fart in the whirlwind is the U.S.A., less than a century of dominance and already fading fast.  Held at bay by piss-ant nations, beaten by the peasant army of Viet Nam fighting without airpower in sandals and black pyjamas.

<<Enemies of the people, my eye.  The enemies of the people in communist countries are all party members.>>

The enemies of the people are the exploiters, the capitalists, the racists, who the party fights with all its strength.  Your bullshit attempt to stand reality on its head is just that, just bullshit.  The enemies of the people are identified by their actions, by their exploitation, by their counter-revolutionary activities, not because Pooch chooses to call them that.

<<The "revolution" is not, and never has been the people.  It is only a transfer of wealth and power from one elite set of people to another. >>

Nonsense.  It is the ownership by the people of the means of production.

<<The only difference is that the first group generally earned the power and wealth and knew how to maintain it.  >>

Yeah.  Maybe all you need to do is read a newspaper once in awhile.  See what happened to your banking system, your financial industry.  Get real.

<<No Communist system ever made life better for its population, created any real wealth (except when it resorted to capitalism) or succeeded in any real way.>>

China.  The U.S.S.R. before WWII.  No need to say more.  Your bullshit is just totally unsupported by facts, but you just don't want to see the facts anyway.

Quote from: Michael Tee on July 04, 2010, 05:09:20 PM

<<I support the free election of leaders in a multiple-party system.  That's freedom. >>

Free election my ass.  It's determined by money and campaign donors and the whole thing is a sham.

<< You support sham elections in a one-party system.  That's oppression. >>

You just described your own country, sucker.

<< I support the right to earn your keep, make your way and better yourself and your family.  That's freedom. >>

Rubbish.  It's wage-slavery.

<<  You support the subjugation of the individual to the state.  That's oppression. >>

Not when the state IS the people.

<< I support the right to worship God, protect my family and do what I choose to do.  That's freedom.  >>

You can worship anything you like, the state will protect your family, and you can do what you choose to do so long as it's not some kind of anti-social activity that hurts others.

<<You support the abolishment of religious freedom . . . >>

I do not.

<< . . the dismantling of the family unit . . . >>

I do not.

<<and giving the state the right to dictate my choices. >>

Depends on the choice.

<<That's oppression.  >>

Maybe it is, but it's not what I support.

<<You wouldn't know how to define freedom.>>

Better than you, my friend.  You've spent your life in the service of the U.S. military, which suppresses freedom all over the world.  Your country invaded Viet Nam specifically to PREVENT them from holding free elections in the south as previously agreed, precisely because your President knew that Ho Chi Minh would take over 80% of the vote and said so.  So you can quit your BS blathering about "freedom" because you're not fooling anyone.

<<You think forced labor, mass-murder and government control is freedom. >>

That is absurd.  I think no such thing.  Get back to me when you want to have an argument with Michael Tee, instead of with yourself.

<<What I support has EVERYTHING to do with freedom. >>

Yeah, you support the freedom of the Israelis to wall off the Palestinians and force them off their land, the freedom of the Iraqis to choose a non-Baathist capitalist government with a made-in-America constitution, the freedom of the Afghans to have the American government of your choice, etc.  Apparently also the freedom of the Iraqis to have another made-in-America government instead of the Parliamentary democracy they now enjoy and the freedom of the Venezuelans to have any leader except the one they freely voted in in two consecutive elections.  

<<What you support has only to do with oppression.>>

I support the Revolution of the peasants, workers and oppressed against the rich and the oppressors.  Call it what you want, it makes no difference.  Your country is all over the world, torturing, murdering, assassinating, disappearing people, and you want to call it "freedom."  You want to call anyone who opposes your invasions, occupations, tortures and murders "oppressors."  Fine, who gives a shit?  Get yourself a new dictionary, the Pooch Dictionary of the English Language and create your own 1984.  War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength.  Me, I'll stick to my old Random House Dictionary of the English Language, thank you very muc

<<[Quoting MT]Ooops!  I guess "greeted as liberators" has kind of worn out its welcome.  Now there's another hare-brained scheme to replace it - - you'll "drive the hardliners and the opposition together."  And you know this of course by your long and patient study of Iran, its government, people and customs.>>

All I meant by that was that the opinion expressed seemed to be ill-considered and not likely to have any relation to the reality of the situation.  I didn't mean to imply that my knowledge of the facts or the background was superior to yours

<<I am an American, and an American soldier at that.  I don't hope their isn't a God, I know there is one - and that fact gives me comfort, not fear.  >>

I stand by my original comment.  You and your country are very lucky that there isn't a God.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2010, 07:34:45 AM by Michael Tee »