Author Topic: NY Shoots itself in the Foot yet again  (Read 1810 times)

Kramer

• Repeal ObamaCare
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
Re: NY Shoots itself in the Foot yet again
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2010, 04:25:00 PM »
Explain how New York City could be disadvantaged by a different fatcat in Rush's old apartment.
Who gives a sh*t where this creep lives?
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Kramer

• Repeal ObamaCare
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2010, 06:09:58 PM »
Explain how New York City could be disadvantaged by a different fatcat in Rush's old apartment.
Who gives a sh*t where this creep lives?

When one goes many go too. Soon there won't be enough rich people to rip off. The same goes for CA and as taxes increase the rich will shelter their money in many ways including moving to places that tax less. At some point poor lazy people like you will have to work or die because their free meal ticket has left them behind to fend for themselves.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2010, 06:15:03 PM »
Oh come on Kramer, surely there are rich liberals just itching to be taxed to the hilt.  Doesn't John Edwards need a new location to call home?
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Kramer

• Repeal ObamaCare
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2010, 06:45:12 PM »
Oh come on Kramer, surely there are rich liberals just itching to be taxed to the hilt.  Doesn't John Edwards need a new location to call home?

liberals are notorious for hording their money, giving almost nothing to charity, yet expecting (demanding) everyone else to pay up. Look at all the tax cheats Obama has placed in his group.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2010, 12:54:11 AM by Kramer »

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2010, 12:51:36 AM »
According to Kramer, the wealthy will all follow Lintball out of NYC.

Let us see how accurate a prophesy this turns out to be.

I would say that NYC will neither benefit nor suffer to any degree at all from the sale of Rush's silly de-luxe apartment in the sky.

Kramer

• Repeal ObamaCare
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2010, 01:01:06 AM »
According to Kramer, the wealthy will all follow Lintball out of NYC.

Let us see how accurate a prophesy this turns out to be.

I would say that NYC will neither benefit nor suffer to any degree at all from the sale of Rush's silly de-luxe apartment in the sky.

NY is already suffering as they have a busted budget. Wealthy people will leave for many reasons like high taxes but also as the state goes to shit so will everything else and the quality of life will continue to go downhill and as more people leave the state the more downhill it will go and after time it will look like that movie 'Escape From New York'. A shithole!

Escape From New York Original 1981 Trailer

Kramer

• Repeal ObamaCare
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2010, 01:17:31 AM »
XO I have to admit that you are right.

But Conservatives will leave because they pay taxes. Liberals will stay but won't pay, they will cheat on their taxes like Tim Geitner and half the people serving on Obama's Cabinet.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2010, 01:26:43 AM by Kramer »

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2010, 06:16:32 AM »
XO I have to admit that you are right.

But Conservatives will leave because they pay taxes. Liberals will stay but won't pay, they will cheat on their taxes like Tim Geitner and half the people serving on Obama's Cabinet.

This might be the most accurate prognostication.

Will politicians dun tax  cheats or leave them alone to keep the votes?

Either way they loose the mobile money, Rush could operate from anywhere.

I wonder if Rush would be best off settling in a town with a friendly attitude , or one where he could be profitably irritateing?

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2010, 12:38:48 PM »
talk about seeing things differently.

I read the areticle and the though that comes to me is it`s not worth rush`s money to have a place in new york. 15 days a year.

I maybe wrong but it might be cheaper stay in a hotel than to pay for the expenses of keeping the stupid thing.

I live a manhatten jr and just don`t care how hurt new york will be if rich people leave. I`m willing to bet it`s ther city/states fault it got in that hole all by it`s self.

my town host money losing events and want charge fines for homeowners parking in thier own driveways.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2010, 02:21:27 PM »
The idea that "Liberals" cheat on taxes more than "Conservatives" is highly debatable. Everyone will avoid paying more for anything if they can get away with it. I know of no one who sends in state sales taxes that are legally due on merchandise bought online from Amazon or e-bay. I know of no one that has charged me sales tax at a yard sale, despite the fact that the law says that taxes are due on all used items.

I think it would be quite difficult for Rush or anyone (a liberal, a conservative, a libertarian or a communist) to cheat on their NYC property taxes in a deluxe high rise building. Generally, the property appraiser appraises the building compared with other similar buildings, with his evaluation dependent  on past sales of units in the building. Then the condo association contests the appraisal, and after several months, a reappraisal verdict is issued, and no further disputes are accepted. So Rush either pays his property taxes, or he loses his apartment, because the city takes a lien on all units on which taxes are due. So I am pretty sure that he and everyone else in his building pay their taxes.

People who lie to reduce their taxes are every bit as likely to be a Democrat as a Republican. What they are most likely to have in common is a high tax bill. Wealthy people are less willing to pay taxes than poor people. Poor people are less likely to be able to pay taxes, though.

NYC is not losing wealthy people. It makes little sense, as Kimba says, for Rush (or anyone) to pay all that money to have an apartment that he does not use.  He probably bought it as an investment, and is selling it to make a profit, or to invest the money in something that will yield a bigger profit or perhaps one with less risk. I am pretty sure Rush as a financial adviser whose advice he follows. NYC has been losing middle class people for rather a long time: they sell the house when they retire, pocket a nice profit and buy a better place in a more economical part of the country when they retire and are no longer bound to the city. But their home will be bought and lived in by others: NYC is not at all like Detroit, and I really doubt that this ever will be the case.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2010, 06:28:06 PM »
People who lie to reduce their taxes are every bit as likely to be a Democrat as a Republican.

I would like to know why you think so , or see the figures.

Kramer

• Repeal ObamaCare
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2010, 06:50:58 PM »
People who lie to reduce their taxes are every bit as likely to be a Democrat as a Republican.

I would like to know why you think so , or see the figures.

How many tax cheats were in the Bush Administration? We all know that Obama has more than a few.

TomDaschle was an early supporter of Barack Obama’s presidential candidacy, and was offered the position of Secretary of the Department of Health and Human Services after the 2008 election. He was President Barack Obama's nominee to serve as the Secretary of Health and Human Services in Obama's Cabinet, but withdrew his name on February 3, 2009, amid a growing controversy over his failure to accurately report and pay income taxes.

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2010, 02:08:12 AM »
tax cheating is alot trickier

taxwise it`s a whole different world the magical tax haven the camen islands is no more. laws now has closed a good deal of these loop wholes. swiss bank account are not hidding places anymore.

there are still ways to shift stuff around but all the flashy stuff is almost gone

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2010, 10:26:36 AM »
Most tax dodges are really not worth the bother. If you buy a corporate bond and pay the taxes, you will earn more than if you buy tax-free municipal bonds. I suppose that there are a lot of accountants that tell their clients "we saved you $x00,000 by putting your money in munis" when they would have earned perhaps 2% more by just paying the damn taxes. A lot of financial advisers never bother with any investment that does not get them a fee, even when the investor is paying them for their services.

I met a "Professional" adviser who was entirely unaware of Vanguard, TIAA-CREF, Scottrade, T Rowe Price a number of other no load companies, and mentioned only the ones with the hefty fees: Merrill Lynch, Eaton-Vance, American and others I had never heard of.

The goal of  a good adviser should be to determine the appropriate risk and then to find those investments that have the best yield within that risk category. If all they are thinking about is them getting paid twice (once by the investor, once more by the company), then they are not doing their job.

I was unaware of any deals with the Cayman Islands. Often the deal there is to deliver cash in a briefcase. They have a huge number of flights every day out of Miami, considering the minuscule size of the islands, the fact that staying there is more expensive than many other Caribbean islands, and a population of under 60,000. They do have a good educational system, it seems. All the Cayman Is. students I have had from there were excellent. Of course, it could be that the bad students do not get scholarships to leave the country, but I am told that there are few drop outs and the educational level is quite high.