Author Topic: Barry throws another former General under the bus  (Read 1952 times)

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Barry throws another former General under the bus
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2010, 09:53:04 PM »
   Most Officers have engineering degrees , tho a few of every sort of degree can be found.

The US military has a lot more enlisted with some colledge time or degree than other contries .

One outstanding example is general Omar Bradley who would work complex math for recreation.

Ours is a world of nuclear giants and ethical infants. We know more about war that we know about peace, more about killing that we know about living.
Omar N. Bradley
http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/o/omar_n_bradley.html

Are wars stimulating to science?

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2010, 10:01:23 PM »
<<My cousin, at least, was inspired by the Blue Angels and the Thunderbirds. Best way to become a pilot in the Air Force or the Navy is with an engineering degree.>>

I think Obama was trying to find ways to inspire kids to become scientists and mathematicians, not to inspire them to study engineering so they could become pilots.

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2010, 11:56:56 AM »
I think Obama was trying to find ways to inspire kids to become scientists and mathematicians, not to inspire them to study engineering so they could become pilots.

Err, engineering *is* a science.
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2010, 12:02:53 PM »
I think they had more abstract sciences in mind.  Engineering is a very practical, applied science.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2010, 01:41:35 AM »
I think they had more abstract sciences in mind.  Engineering is a very practical, applied science.

Engineering can be as elegant and artistic as any other study.

Why does it have a utilitarian reputation?

Just because engineers have got to have utility in their results elese they don't get paid?

Beatuty is where you see it , an elegant program , a highly streamlined vehicle, a tiny electrical device laid into a grid of millions of tiny transistors that store an encliclopedia in less volume than a grain of rice, an alloyed crystal casts an x-ray shadow of diffraction patterns , a jet engine on afterburner produces a plume of incandesant flame with a row of sharp mach diamonds, a lattice of struts defines a space of strength,etc, etc...

Aaah,  yes it is a beautifull universe , and every bit we understand it better opens new beauty , every time we refine or invent a new sensor we see more of it and new beautys never before known are opened.

HOw is it forgotten that the old masters of painting had to be masters of the best chemestry of their day? That grand sculpture is possible only with good understanding of geometry and structural strength?

Whence comes this false division between the esoteric and the practical? one enables the other and the subtraction of one destroys the other.