Author Topic: Republicans want review of birthright citizenship  (Read 35739 times)

Universe Prince

• Of course liberty isn't safe; but it is good.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Republicans want review of birthright citizenship
« Reply #30 on: August 05, 2010, 01:08:05 AM »

That's too bad, since it's never been a fear issue.

You're in denial if you believe that.

Go to the end of the line, pay your dues just like every other current American Immigrant, and Welcome to the U.S.A.  And guess what, MILLIONS have done just that.  If we want to talk about lessening some of the rules, shortening some of the time, I'm open to that, just so long as its applied to anyone wanting to enter this country, LEGALLY.....which ironically keeps reinforcing the point that this is indeed a LEGAL vs ILLEGAL immigrant issue

No, actually, you're reinforcing that it is an immigration issue. No one is saying we should have lots and lots of illegal immigration. If we significantly relaxed immigration restrictions and made immigrating here relatively easy, then the people coming in would be legal immigrants, and likely there would still be some illegal immigrants. Since you don't support significantly relaxed immigration restrictions and making immigrating here relatively easy, clearly the issue is immigration, not legal vs. illegal.
Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever.
--Hieronymus Karl Frederick Baron von Munchausen ("The Adventures of Baron Munchausen" [1988])--

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: August 05, 2010, 01:08:34 AM »
The point isn't what might a person do if he was unable to move somewhere else. The point is, why should he be prevented from going somewhere else?

They aren't. They simply need to properly fill out the required paperwork.

Precisely.  No one is being prevented from coming to this country.  It's simply an arduous process, and painstaking process, and given how great this country is, and the finite resources it has, which includes healthcare, it SHOULD be arduous.  It SHOULD be an effort to get in, but simply because its burdensome, doesn't equate to a closed border.
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: August 05, 2010, 01:10:52 AM »
That's too bad, since it's never been a fear issue.

You're in denial if you believe that.

Said the pot to the kettle

Go to the end of the line, pay your dues just like every other current American Immigrant, and Welcome to the U.S.A.  And guess what, MILLIONS have done just that.  If we want to talk about lessening some of the rules, shortening some of the time, I'm open to that, just so long as its applied to anyone wanting to enter this country, LEGALLY.....which ironically keeps reinforcing the point that this is indeed a LEGAL vs ILLEGAL immigrant issue

Since you don't support significantly relaxed immigration restrictions and making immigrating here relatively easy, clearly the issue is immigration, not legal vs. illegal.

And clearly, you're in denial
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Universe Prince

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: August 05, 2010, 01:14:52 AM »

Not true. People are denied entry all the time. The notion that it's just a matter of paperwork is a lie. If it were as easy as you claim, we would not be having this discussion.
Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever.
--Hieronymus Karl Frederick Baron von Munchausen ("The Adventures of Baron Munchausen" [1988])--

Universe Prince

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: August 05, 2010, 01:17:47 AM »

Interstate travel without visa is an important part of American citizenship.

I'm not advocating immigration without visa or passports. All I did was explain why your questions were irrelevant.

Universe Prince

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: August 05, 2010, 01:19:24 AM »

It SHOULD be an effort to get in, but simply because its burdensome, doesn't equate to a closed border.

No one said it was a closed border.

Universe Prince

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: August 05, 2010, 01:22:24 AM »

Since you don't support significantly relaxed immigration restrictions and making immigrating here relatively easy, clearly the issue is immigration, not legal vs. illegal.

It's simply an arduous process, and painstaking process, and given how great this country is, and the finite resources it has, which includes healthcare, it SHOULD be arduous.  It SHOULD be an effort to get in, but simply because its burdensome, doesn't equate to a closed border.

Clearly, I'm not.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: August 05, 2010, 01:23:32 AM »

Interstate travel without visa is an important part of American citizenship.

I'm not advocating immigration without visa or passports. All I did was explain why your questions were irrelevant.

Not successfully

You pointed out that crossing state borders inside the US was done for serious and trivial reasons with little or no regulation.

But you skipped a step somewhere in jumping on twards saying that croissing international borders is equivelent to crossing borders internal to a country.

Skipping that step made it seem exactly as though you were advocating immigration without visa or passports.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: August 05, 2010, 01:25:46 AM »

Not true. People are denied entry all the time. The notion that it's just a matter of paperwork is a lie. If it were as easy as you claim, we would not be having this discussion.

Should a person give the government a chance to approve or deny a visa?

Why should a government have any controll over who and what crosses its frontiers?

Universe Prince

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: August 05, 2010, 01:35:21 AM »

You pointed out that crossing state borders inside the US was done for serious and trivial reasons with little or no regulation.

I am sure I have pointed that out at some time or other. But in responding to you, Plane, in this thread, that is not what I said. My comments about people moving within the U.S. did not mention regulations. What they did was address your questions, "Why are they better off here?" and "These are great people , if they had to stay home would they not be usefull and influential in the improvement of their homeland?" The point being that moving somewhere different to live and work is not about an objective measure of "better" or about what might happen if someone were forced to remain where he was. At no point in my reply to your questions did I bring up visas, or traveling with them or without them.

But you skipped a step somewhere in jumping on twards saying that croissing international borders is equivelent to crossing borders internal to a country.

I did not say that. You have jumped to an erroneous conclusion.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #40 on: August 05, 2010, 01:41:24 AM »
The notion that it's just a matter of paperwork is a lie.

The paperwork is not a purchase of an admissions ticket Although i have heard that at some embassies the exchange of fees helps).
It is an application.
And it is required.
Of course some applications are turned down.
But to be turned down, the application at the minimum should be on file.
Thus the need to fill out the required paperwork.

Legal immigrants by virtue of their status did this.

Illegal immigrants by virtue of their status do not.

so much for the lie.

Universe Prince

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #41 on: August 05, 2010, 01:41:58 AM »

Should a person give the government a chance to approve or deny a visa?

Why should a government have any controll over who and what crosses its frontiers?

It's like no one ever remembers anything I say. As I have said before many times, I am fully in favor of government keeping known criminals and diseased people out of the country.

Universe Prince

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #42 on: August 05, 2010, 01:55:07 AM »

Of course some applications are turned down.

So we've put to rest the false notion that no one is being prevented from entering. So much for the lie indeed.

Legal immigrants by virtue of their status did this.

Illegal immigrants by virtue of their status do not.

Again, if it were as simple as filling out paperwork, we wouldn't be having this discussion. Let's see... Which seems more appealing to people who want to come here to work: filling out some paperwork or risking death crossing the desert? Hm... This is a real toughy...

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #43 on: August 05, 2010, 02:30:32 AM »
It SHOULD be an effort to get in, but simply because its burdensome, doesn't equate to a closed border.

No one said it was a closed border.

Your insinuation of how "difficult" it is, literally "preventing" an unskilled immigrant from coming to this country, is pretty transparent.  Your application in the use of not supporting "significantly relaxing" current immigration requirements, is also duely noted

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #44 on: August 05, 2010, 02:33:39 AM »

It's simply an arduous process, and painstaking process, and given how great this country is, and the finite resources it has, which includes healthcare, it SHOULD be arduous.  It SHOULD be an effort to get in, but simply because its burdensome, doesn't equate to a closed border.

Clearly, I'm not.

Clearly, I don't support your version of "significantly relaxed restrictions"