Author Topic: What the Frell.....Fed to "License" education??  (Read 3234 times)

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
What the Frell.....Fed to "License" education??
« on: October 04, 2010, 05:13:51 PM »
Eye-popping power grab: Licensing of U.S. colleges
Federal scheme poses 'greatest threat to academic freedom in our lifetime'

Posted: October 03, 2010
By Bob Unruh

President Obama's Department of Education, where Secretary Arne Duncan appointed a longtime homosexual activist who was part of the sometimes-violent Act Up organization to head his "safe schools" office, now is proposing to force colleges and universities to submit to a political agenda, according to critics.

Under the proposed federal rule change, institutions of higher education "would be required to have a document of state approval ? to operate an educational program, including programs leading to a degree or certificate," explained an analysis by Shapri D. LoMaglio for the Council for Christian Colleges & Universities.

"I think it is the greatest threat to academic freedom in our lifetime," former Sen. Bill Armstrong, now president of Colorado Christian University, told WND. "But only if you love liberty."

Armstrong is so alarmed over the proposal identified by the federal agency as a rule change regarding "Program Integrity Issues" that he's joined with another former Colorado senator and higher education leader, Hank Brown, in writing a commentary on the subject. Brown was president of the University of Northern Colorado and the University of Colorado.

The educators were joined by prominent columnists Cal Thomas and Jay Ambrose in alerting readers about the proposal.

Armstrong is encouraging members of Congress to look into the measure, since as a proposed "regulation" change, most lawmakers probably haven't even heard of it.

Armstrong said the implications are not complicated, despite the 86 pages of tiny type in the federal agency's rule change.

"The Department of Education is attempting to subject every college and university in America ? public and private ? to political supervision," he said in an e-mail to WND.

Somebody, he said, needs to blow the whistle and put a stop "to this takeover, a huge threat to institutional autonomy and academic freedom."

Accreditation, now established by relatively independent educational councils, already is a life-or-death rating that requires institutions to meet high educational standards. But the new requirement for a "state approval" provides that "the State is expected to take an active role in approving an institution and monitoring complaints from the public about its operations and responding appropriately."

"While these regulations only encourage rather than require state involvement and oversight, if these proposals are passed as written, it is apparent the direction that future regulations will head," the analysis said. "Some states are already involving themselves in curriculum decisions for education, nursing, and other such programs for professions that require state licensure. In addition to the practical considerations of staffing and expense, this also implicates the large issues of academic freedom and religious freedom.

"As religious schools, we could particularly be adversely affected by state attempts to regulate curriculum (science, religion, etc.). Currently Colorado requires education courses to include phonics, but what if as part of 'authorization' a state required that a science course or a counseling course include certain components?"

Armstrong and Brown, in their commentary published on Colorado Christian University's website as well as in the Denver Post, asks whether colleges should "be subjugated by federal and state government."

Armstrong and Brown said what is "ominous" is "the whole idea of political supervision of higher education."

"As a practical matter, the department's power grab carries with it an implicit invitation for various pressure groups to seek legal mandates requiring colleges and universities to implement their pet theories about curriculum, degree requirements, faculty qualifications, teaching methods, textbooks, evolution, phonics, ROTC, climate change, family policy, abortion, race, sexual orientation, economic theory, etc.," they wrote.

"If adopted, regional accreditation will be denied to any institution that has not first been given 'substantive' state 'authorization.'"

They pointed out that all colleges already are licensed by one or many states and are subject to state fraud and consumer-protection laws.

That, however, is "not what the Department of Education has in mind," they warned.

"Although details are sketchy, the department's proposal calls for 'substantive' oversight, not 'merely of the type required to do business in the state.' Moreover, this legal authorization must be 'subject to adverse action by the state,' and the state must have 'a process to review and appropriately act on complaints ... and to enforce applicable state laws,'" they wrote.

"In other words, the state will be required to set standards, establish guidelines, and enact rules and regulations by which each college and university will be judged," they said. "This assault on academic freedom and institutional autonomy is a slap in the face to regional accreditation agencies whose peer reviews have been bulwarks of integrity and academic quality for decades. Loss of accreditation is literally a death sentence."

Thomas, in a column for Tribune Media Services, said the new Department of Education rule could take effect as early as November. He said a number of state lawmakers already have raised concerns about the government potentially being involved in "setting course requirements ? [and] how and what to teach."

"Imagine the outcry if someone identified with the tea party movement had made similar demands of a Republican administration concerning what is taught at Harvard or UC Berkeley. There would be protests in the quads and a lawsuit by the ACLU," Thomas wrote.

"If imposing outside agendas ? from textbook content to course selection ? is supposedly bad when conservatives do it (mostly in reaction to the liberal assault on any ideas that conflict with theirs), why is it not equally onerous when liberals push for state control and the dictation of course content at private colleges and universities?" Thomas questioned.

Further, Ambrose, a longtime editor with Scripps Howard News Service, said the proposal's possible impacts "are enormous, including a frightening assault on academic freedom as crucial decisions are transferred from faculty and administrators to bureaucrats and legislative bosses who just might use weapons of mass authority to demolish instruction of a kind they don't like."

"What strikes me (and Armstrong, too) is that the move is more of the same," Ambrose continued. "The Obama administration does not much trust liberty. If something out there sneezes, regulate it. Surround it with endless pages of rules, blankets and blankets of rules, enough rules to smother the slightest hope of autonomy. Do more if necessary. Take over things. Take over health care. Take over the auto industry. Take over financial institutions. Government knows all. Government should do all. Government, we praise thee!"

The suggested rules, specifically explained under "State Authorization," calls for states to grant colleges "authorization" to operate if the "authorization" is "subject to adverse action by the state and ? the state has a process to review and appropriately act on complaints."

And watch this be praised by the left, Academia, and the MSM
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Kramer

• Repeal ObamaCare
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
Re: What the Frell.....Fed to "License" education??
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2010, 05:32:01 PM »
who cares?

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2010, 06:18:32 PM »
We shall see, but since I posted it, I'd count 6.  me + the author, + 2 former Senators, + 2 columnists
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2010, 06:21:14 PM »
Do you believe physical therapists should be licensed?

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2010, 06:37:04 PM »
We already are...by the State.  Every State has their own prerequisates for the professionals performing their duties, following what they had learned in school.  Meaning, they're not only seperate (schooling from licensing), but it's a state level matter.  I got my degree, THEN had to pass the State Exam, to become licensed

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2010, 06:42:42 PM »
and along those lines:

The Demise of American Education

The words are those of the late John A. Pidgeon, the legendary headmaster of the Kiski School in Saltsburg, Pa. At the time, he was reflecting on his 45 years at the school, but what he said could apply to so many other things:

"I could not believe my ears when I heard 'an educational expert' say recently that a head master should serve only five to seven years, do what he can for the school, and then leave. This is without question the most idiotic statement I have heard, especially from educational experts who are probably the most idiotic group I know anyway."

Jack Pidgeon's low opinion of educational experts may be an exaggeration; I have come across one or two professors of education who actually made sense. But, if pressed, I would probably cite the generality of the country's schools of education as the most corrosive influence on American education in my time. With the possible exception of teachers' unions, of course.

Is there a fad that the educantists have not embraced over the years, much to the detriment of education? They seem to switch shibboleths -- sight-reading! self-esteem! emotional intelligence! -- as often as Mr. Pidgeon's idiotic expert would have them switch locales.

Jack Pidgeon spelled "head master" as two words -- as if to emphasize the primacy of teaching at his school. To him, administration was just a necessary evil. It is an order of priorities the rest of American education would do well to adopt.

To quote Laura Bush the other day, who was explaining why the new George W. Bush Institute was going to concentrate on training school principals: "A well-trained, energetic teacher can be stifled under lackluster or discouraging administrators." Here's hoping the first thing the Bush Institute teaches administrators is just to get out of the way of the talented. It's a lesson administrators could learn in many a field besides education.

But what's wrong with a school's switching headmasters on a regular basis? Why keep the same old leader, and stick to the same old dreary principles? Mr. Pidgeon explained why:

"Like people, schools must have an identity. If they do not, they drift along trying to be all things to all people. A school is not unlike a person in that it must have a set of values from which it does not waver. I have known many people who do not have this set of values and they bounce about the world standing for one thing one day and another thing another day and become feckless and pitiful people who do not command the respect of their peers and are unable to make any lasting impression on life. I hope that we can remember the same applies to schools."

And to many another institution. Like newspapers. I've long been fascinated by the kind of editorial writers who early on clamber aboard the transmission belt from smaller to ever larger newspapers, regularly jumping from one locale and one editorial philosophy to another with the greatest of ease till they wind up at the pinnacle of their trade -- either at the New York Times or in public relations. I have to admire -- I've never envied -- their sheer adaptability, which seems to go with their upward mobility.

It takes years, maybe a lifetime, to acquire a working knowledge of just a small town, let alone a small state, but some of my brightest colleagues can jump from convivial communities in the South to impersonal megalopoli up North or out West unburdened (and unsupported) by what is called a sense of place.

An innocent Northerner once asked me, apparently seriously, what Southerners mean by a sense of place. And I thought of Louis Armstrong's response when someone asked him what jazz is: If you have to ask, you'll never know.

A sense of place is inextricably bound up with a set of values. Forget where you came from, and who are you?

Jack Pidgeon, who died about a couple of years ago, had every one of his boys at Kiski memorize the last page of F. Scott Fitzgerald's "The Great Gatsby." ("So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.")

It's not only people that need a sense of their past and the values that go with it. Constancy of purpose is also what distinguishes a successful family, newspaper, political party, republic ... life.

Without a set of inner beliefs, we wind up abandoning principles as regularly as we adopt them. The way educantists do catchphrases.

Now the line is: Forget the classics, concentrate on an education for the 21st century! Which apparently means knowing how to operate electronic devices and figure out a spreadsheet. That's not education, it's vocational training. What once were means seem to have become ends in education. And our more with-it "educators" shift with every passing wind, clutching at the latest gimmick the way drowning men do at straws.

If there is a single factor that separates the enduring from the passing in institutions great or small, local or national, it is constancy of purpose. The way in which that purpose is pursued may be flexible, but forget one's purpose and decide to stand for everything as it comes into vogue, then a school, a university, a newspaper, an individual, a nation ... will come to stand for nothing.

The Demise of American Education

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2010, 06:57:30 PM »
HOw much would this measure amount to enforcement of orthodoxy?

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2010, 07:07:39 PM »
Do you believe that schools that teach physical therapy should be licensed?

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2010, 07:45:59 PM »
HOw much would this measure amount to enforcement of orthodoxy?

If you don't follow fed "guidelines", expect repercussions

Do you believe that schools that teach physical therapy should be licensed?

They already are...by the state.  Its referred to as an accreditation

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2010, 08:13:53 PM »
They already are...by the state.  Its referred to as an accreditation

According to your article, accreditation organizations have nothing to do with the state.

Which asks the question, should the state license accreditation organizations?

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2010, 02:01:36 AM »
That's strange, since my University was accredited by the state.  I wonder how that slipped by.  In fact, I wonder how all the universities in the state became accredited, if not by the state.  Hmmmmmm

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2010, 02:45:13 AM »
Interesting. Where did you go to school?

The University of Georgia is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2010, 03:39:02 AM »
University of LaVerne, followed by College of Osteopathic Medicine of the Pacific.  I'm stunned places like UCaliforniaLA & CaliforniaSUFullerton can get away with being accredited by the state.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2010, 04:30:30 AM »
The University of LaVerne is accredited by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges.

The College of Osteopathic Medicine of the Pacific is accredited by the American Osteopathic Association?s Commission on Osteopathic College Accreditation.

At both schools the teachers are certified by the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing.

The full text of the proposed changes can be found here:
http://edocket.access.gpo.gov/2010/pdf/2010-14107.pdf

But the gist of the changes indicate that the fed has no interest in licensing higher education centers, they rightfully leave that to the state, and the licensing required by the state could be as simple as a business license. The reasoning apparently has a lot to do with minimum requirements for the availability of federally backed student loan programs.

Update: Both UCLA and CAL State Fullerton are accredited by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges.

« Last Edit: October 05, 2010, 04:35:51 AM by BT »

Christians4LessGvt

• View Profile
    • "The Religion Of Peace"
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2010, 11:22:34 AM »
SIRS....this sounds like a plan of the "control freaks" to ram
their pro-homo agenda even in the church schools....thats
why they have so much contempt for religion...look at XO
every chance he gets he demeans religion....so now they
want to force excellent schools like BYU, Notre Dame, SMU,
Georgetown, Texas Christian University, Gonzaga, Creighton,
Villanova, ect.....to teach that homo sex is a-ok.

We didn't have the US Department of Education until 1979-1980.
Boy our test scores have sure improved since then haven't they?  ::)
I say lets get rid of the US Department of Education...
It's none of their damn business anyway.
"Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!" - Ronald Reagan - June 12, 1987