Author Topic: Plane, Ami? Water on Mars?  (Read 2666 times)

Brassmask

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Plane, Ami? Water on Mars?
« on: December 12, 2006, 10:25:39 AM »
Have you guys seen this?  I know it was on the news a week or so ago but I couldn't remember if we had talked about it.

http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/image/0612/marswater_mgs_big.jpg

That's the monster version.

Here's the regulare'.

http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/astropix.html

I'm on my way to a meeting but I'll type about it when I get back.

Brassmask

• View Profile
  • Liked:
Re: Plane, Ami? Water on Mars?
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2006, 11:12:01 AM »
Yeah, that's pretty amazing stuff if that is water just bubbling up from underground.  It conjures images of underground rivers and the like.

I can't imagine that if there are large quantities of water underground on Mars that there isn't some kind of "life" living there.  It may only be ameobic but it would be something.

What would be the implications for that discovery here on earth?  I've always felt that it would have religious implications for the theists but lately I've started trying to figure out exactly why that would be.

I've always just sort of assumed it would.

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2006, 11:16:31 AM »
I've always just sort of assumed it would.

I haven't. I have yet to see a version of any religion that categorically denies life on other planets. Now, there have been some people that have twisted their religion's teaching to deny it, but that it's the fault of the religion in question...
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2006, 02:42:12 PM »
http://www.space.com/spacenews/MarsGulliesweb_120606.html

The appearance of a certain sort of deep crater found in severl places on Mars has fueled speculation about subterainian Water .
The Roveing robots on Mars have found a lot of indications of anchent water flow.

This is the first evidence seen of a recent flow .

http://www.sciam.com/article.cfm?articleID=CDCC3E05-E7F2-99DF-3B7C143967CC31FA&sc=I100322

C.S. Lewis was a science fiction writer and Christian Apologist , he wrote a whole series about Life on Mars , Venus and Earth being made to a common plan. He also wrote a good one about alternate universes.

If there is ever Life found on another planet in our solar system wold this prove that the Hand of God had put it there?

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2006, 05:19:02 PM »
uhm
I though we already had proof mars had life.
we found fossils of bacteria from mars
or from space in general.

yellow_crane

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2006, 08:24:30 PM »

I remember reading from several sources that there were canals on Mars.  I even remember seeing pictures of canals on Mars.  Maybe they are all out there in Area 53, under lock and concrete.

I also remember reading opinions stating that Earth is in its prime (well, was, before the new corporate dispensation), that Mars was a cinder, left over from a planet that died, and that Venus was a new born.

I believe that anybody who thinks that the only life in the universe is here on Earth suffers from elephantiasis of the ego and a gullibility too gigantic to describe. 

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2006, 09:39:21 PM »
I also remember reading opinions stating that Earth is in its prime (well, was, before the new corporate dispensation), that Mars was a cinder, left over from a planet that died, and that Venus was a new born.

All three planets were formed at the same time.
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2006, 11:10:44 PM »

All three planets were formed at the same time.

This was the plot of the C.S. Lewis story I mentioned earlyer, when it was written there was less detailed cosmology knoledge.

There may have once been great oceans on Mars , but its gravity is just a little less than it needs to keep the water, it is possible that several times comet impacts have delivered lakesfull of water which would gradually sink from sight and evaporate into space.

yellow_crane

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2006, 11:33:41 PM »

Thank you Issac Amizof.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2006, 11:39:26 PM »

Thank you Issac Amizof.

You like Asimov?

He was my favorite for a long time.

Brassmask

• View Profile
  • Liked:

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2006, 02:44:29 AM »
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16187534/

Space weather forecasters revised their predictions for storminess after a major solar flare erupted overnight, threatening damage to communication systems and power grids.

"We're looking for very strong, severe geomagnetic storming" to begin probably around midday Thursday, ...

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2006, 03:13:19 AM »
Davies, who heads SETI's "post-detection" committee—the best committee to be on, he says, since it never meets.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16126932/site/newsweek/