Author Topic: Craigslist Exec To Soon Catch Bullet With His Forehead  (Read 28076 times)

Brassmask

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Craigslist Exec To Soon Catch Bullet With His Forehead
« on: December 12, 2006, 03:24:20 PM »
This sure sounds like a move towards an RBE type situation.

http://www.brassmask.com/news.php

In a staggering turn of events, an executive of a company has stated that it is more important to serve the customers of his business than necessarily increase profits.

What can only be called a deathwish must have led Jim Buckmaster to tell a UBS global media conference that Craigslist exists to help people communicate needs and offers and not so much to make money. When asked how Craigslist intended to "maximize revenues" his answer, flying in the face of everything that attendees perceive as holy, was simply, “That definitely is not part of the equation,” he said, according to MediaPost. “It’s not part of the goal.”

The Tech Trader Daily blog ponders this question: “If YouTube was worth $1.65 billion, who knows what Craigslist would be worth if Jim and [site founder] Craig Newmark ever considred becoming — what’s the word? — capitalists.”

Craigslist charges money for job listings, but only in seven of the cities it serves ($75 in San Francisco; $35 in the others). And it charges for apartment listings in New York ($10 a pop). But that is just to pay expenses.

Mr. Schachter still did not seem to understand. How about running AdSense ads from Google? Craigslist has considered that, Mr. Buckmaster said. They even crunched the numbers, which were “quite staggering.” But users haven’t expressed an interest in seeing ads, so it is not going to happen.

Following the meeting, Mr. Schachter wrote a research note, flagged by Tech Trader Daily, which suggests that he still doesn’t quite get the concept of serving customers first, and worrying about revenues later, if at all (and nevermind profits). Craigslist, the analyst wrote, “does not fully monetize its traffic or services.”

http://dealbook.blogs.nytimes.com/2006/12/08/craigslist-meets-the-capitalists/

A business that doesn't intend to increase its profits? And doesn't feel the need to keep it on the downlow? What is this? Cuba?

As someone who delights in hearing of corporationists getting the slapdown applied to their belief system, this can only be declared a DAY.

Furthermore, my subject line was something of a funny when I posted it but as I have typed, it seems to me that this may not happen literally, but could potentially happen figuratively. Corporatists in America can't sit idly by as an upstart brings communism into the mainstream of financial America. This could lead to widespread TRUE Communism in America. 

Seriously.

Imagine someone like Buckmaster getting a CEO gig at some place like Citigroup or, heaven forbid, Exxon. (like that could ever happen) But imagine someone following in his image? Exxon reducing profits? Exxon existing only to hand out gas and oil and not to make billionaires even more billionairey? How would we know that they are more important or more valuable to the world if they weren't the most billionairey?

We wouldn't. And instead of there being classes ranging from The Extreme Have's to The Absolute Have Not's, we'd have a world of Moderately Comfortable, Highly Educated Have's. And what kind of world would that be with no way for 1% of the populace to look down on the other 99%. Don't they have rights? That 1% has the right to use a tool to buy them the importance that they normally wouldn't have if all things were equal, don't they?

Buckmaster's business model is smart and more importantly Honorable.

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
Re: Craigslist Exec To Soon Catch Bullet With His Forehead
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2006, 04:54:10 PM »
In a staggering turn of events, an executive of a company has stated that it is more important to serve the customers of his business than necessarily increase profits.

Isn't it a wonderful country where you can always volunter your time and services, but are still allowed to make a profit if you wish?
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

Brassmask

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2006, 05:18:28 PM »
Isn't it a wonderful country where you can always volunter your time and services, but are still allowed to make a profit if you wish?

I wouldn't really call it volunteering since they get paid for doing the job they do, I'm sure.

But I would agree with you statement.  And add that it would be greater if weren't such a shocker to some that a company might not be interested in turning a profit.

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2006, 05:41:29 PM »
And add that it would be greater if weren't such a shocker to some that a company might not be interested in turning a profit.

Never been involved with a 501(c) corporation? You're really surprised that there are a plethora of "not for profit" corporations out there?
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2006, 05:46:40 PM »
And add that it would be greater if weren't such a shocker to some that a company might not be interested in turning a profit.

Never been involved with a 501(c) corporation? You're really surprised that there are a plethora of "not for profit" corporations out there?

I work for a fairly big one myself, St Joseph Heritage Medical
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Brassmask

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2006, 05:55:44 PM »

Not exactly the same thing, now is it?

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2006, 06:53:57 PM »
I shall be extremely impressed when ExxonMobil becomes an 501(c) Corporation
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2006, 07:31:52 PM »
Not exactly the same thing, now is it?

Err, a "not for profit" corporation is exactly the same thing as a corporation that is not trying to make a profit. That's pretty much the definition.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2006, 11:18:14 PM »

If a 501(c) company were to get into the gasoline business could it do as well as Exxon at getting Gas to customers ?

Brassmask

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2006, 11:09:25 AM »

If a 501(c) company were to get into the gasoline business could it do as well as Exxon at getting Gas to customers ?

Why not?  They wouldn't have those ultra-bright Tiger Marts but $1.50 20oz Cokes but they could very easily keep on doing what they do. 

But a bit of snark...If you ask the execs who testified that they put all their "profits" into research (I believe Ami and the gang also said that's what they do) then they really are a 501c company.

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2006, 11:17:02 AM »
(I believe Ami and the gang also said that's what they do)

Not I.

I said that they used a portion of their profits for research. A portion is also paid to their investors (that's the "for profit" part).

Ever taken a finance course? Remember all those categories in the general ledger?

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2006, 12:09:29 PM »

Why not?  They wouldn't have those ultra-bright Tiger Marts but $1.50 20oz Cokes but they could very easily keep on doing what they do. 

But a bit of snark...If you ask the execs who testified that they put all their "profits" into research (I believe Ami and the gang also said that's what they do) then they really are a 501c company.

I don't beleive it possible for a non profit company to deliver commodities with effeciency , but you are welcome to show me wrong .
I think that the profit motive is a virtuous thing and causes most of the goodness that we experience in our day to day American lives.

Without a profit motive what wold keep the nasty hand of greed from ruining everything?

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2006, 12:41:52 PM »
I don't beleive it possible for a non profit company to deliver commodities with effeciency , but you are welcome to show me wrong .

American Red Cross. Consumer's Union (publishes Consumer's Reports). Alcoholics Anonymous (and most of the other self-help organizations).

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2006, 01:05:30 PM »

American Red Cross. Consumer's Union (publishes Consumer's Reports). Alcoholics Anonymous (and most of the other self-help organizations).

Ok, what is the commodity involved in these examples?

How would an organisation organised along the lines of the Red Cross deliver Gasoline to consumers and compete with Exxon?

I can imagine that an organisation organised something like AA could compete with Segrams .

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2006, 01:16:08 PM »
Ok, what is the commodity involved in these examples?

Blood, magazines, self-help.

How would an organisation organised along the lines of the Red Cross deliver Gasoline to consumers and compete with Exxon?

I can imagine that an organisation organised something like AA could compete with Segrams .

While blood is illegal to sell currently, it could be sold at a profit. Consumer's Union successfully competes with other magazine publishers, and AA successfully competes with other self-help industries.

I'm sure a non-profit could compete against Exxon, if it's startup was funded adequately. Exxon has a big head start, with lots of cash reserves. However, regional non-profit energy co-ops have successfully competed against for-profit energy companies.