Author Topic: Are you suffering from Fox-o-phobia?  (Read 13165 times)

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Are you suffering from Fox-o-phobia?
« on: November 13, 2010, 02:38:19 PM »
Even though some of the Founding Fathers, such as Thomas Jefferson, didn't much like the press, they gave the fourth estate special constitutional privileges in order for information to pass to the folks. The Founders well understood that a republic must have honest discourse so that voters are kept well informed. Without facts at their disposal, voters are simply blind.

Like most other institutions, the press has had problems over the years with corruption, and now those difficulties are becoming a direct threat to a very important check on political power in America. Let me give you a stark illustration of media dishonesty.

After last week's election results rolled in, some on the left became distraught and went after Fox News big time. Of course, we are used to the growing problem of Fox-o-phobia: an irrational fear of the Fox News Channel. On election night, FNC won the national ratings race, even defeating the network news operations, which is incredible because cable channels are much harder to access than single digit network channels.

Immediately after the votes were counted, the incoming fire began. Washington Post columnist Dana Milbank wrote that Fox News held "a victory party" for Republicans on the air. Milbank then stated: "To be fair and balanced, Fox brought in a nominal Democrat, pollster Doug Schoen."

A nominal Democrat?

Well, that is flat-out false. FNC had seven Democrats on the air that night, and I believe Geraldine Ferraro and Joe Trippi might be surprised to see themselves described as "nominal."

So, why did Milbank mislead his readers, and how does he get away with it?

We put the second question to Fred Hiatt, Milbank's editor at the Post. After a few hours of deliberation, he told us he didn't think Milbank had implied that only one Democrat was booked on FNC's election coverage. Either Hiatt is having trouble with the English language, or he really doesn't care. I'm betting the latter. Neither Hiatt nor Milbank would come on my program to explain themselves.

As to why the columnist wants to mislead readers, it's simple. He despises Fox News and wants to spread the loathing. But that's lazy. There are plenty of things to criticize about any national news organization, especially one that broadcasts 24 hours a day. Milbank just wanted to vent and didn't care about being accurate. He cared about being hostile and bitter.

There is nothing anyone can do about dishonest journalism if standards are nonexistent within media operations. The government has no power over us thanks to Tom Jeff and Jimmy Madison. We in the press are supposed to be noble enough to police ourselves.

Even in a nominal way.
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
Re: Are you suffering from Fox-o-phobia?
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2010, 02:41:50 PM »
Which begs the follow-up question......what is the function of the press?, the MSM?, Journalists?

Is it to report the facts?

or

Is it to report selected facts (many times, erroneous claims) that simply supports one's predisposed POV? 

Someone help me out here, please
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2010, 03:25:45 PM »
I just realized that was too much of a loaded either/or question.  Lemme try to make it more objective.

What is the function of the press?, the MSM?, Journalists?

Is it to report the facts, and let the chips fall where they may?

or

Is it to report selected facts that corroborate a perceived injustice?

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2010, 04:04:02 PM »
I think the role of journalist and opinion-ator has been blurred.

Not only on the media side, but also in the minds of the gen pop.

Is Krauthammer an editorialist or a reporter?

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2010, 04:32:56 PM »
I think the role of journalist and opinion-ator has been blurred.

Not only on the media side, but also in the minds of the gen pop.

Is Krauthammer an editorialist or a reporter?

Good question.  I'd say neither, more so a journalist, but an argument could be made for either of the above, especially when functioning as a political pundit.  Then one could argue a definate lean towards that of an editorialist

Is that what every political pundit is?  Should there indeed be a specific delination between journalist & opinion-ator?

What about those reporters, such as Washington Post columnist Dana Milbank.  Is he funtioning as an editorialist?  If so, is that what he should be functioning as, given how he's used by the Post?  If not, why is he?

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2010, 05:16:32 PM »
Krauthammer is an editorialist. I don't think he ever was a reporter.

Milbanks used to be a reporter, he and the Post may still think he is but he has migrated to being more an editorialist than a reporter.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2010, 05:28:50 PM »
Milbanks used to be a reporter, he and the Post may still think he is but he has migrated to being more an editorialist than a reporter.

Which brings us full circle to the original question, and the crux of O'Reily's points.  Is this acceptable?  Reporters now functioning as editorialists, under some immunity bubble provided for actual reporters?   

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2010, 06:22:59 PM »
Depends on whether you think the readers are smart enough to know the difference, and if they don't do, they need educating?

Is a law needed ?

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2010, 06:31:25 PM »
Depends on whether you think the readers are smart enough to know the difference, and if they don't do, they need educating?

As O'Reily referenced, the readers are "blind".  They read the news to be informed of the facts.  That's what the news is supposed to be, thus allowing the readers to form their own opinions.  Nothing's wrong with op-eds, as long as they remain in the editorial section.  What's wrong are folks like Milbanks, prompting editorial-like "reporting", and robbing the reader of the opportunity to make up their own mind, since they're being presented biased & misleading information to begin with, camouflaged as "news"

Is a law needed ?

Nope.  More "Fair & Balance" reporting is needed.  That can't be legislated.  It can only be policed by the media themselves, and folks like us.  Highlighting for all to see when the MSM is not functioning the way they're supposed to be

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2010, 07:03:42 PM »
What is Fox record on separating reporting from punditry?

Is there editorializing in the stories they choose to present?

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2010, 07:20:00 PM »
The op-ed that O'Reilly was complaining about is here:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/11/02/AR2010110207572.html

Clearly marked as such.

There is nothing anyone can do about dishonest journalism if standards are nonexistent within media operations.

Not sure why O'Reilly wants to blur the lines between Opinion and Journalism.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2010, 07:33:25 PM »
I don't see how he is.  Enlighten us, since he's clearly referring to Journalism & and more so journalists and "news reporters", such as Couric, Hume, Milbanks, vs your standard op-ed columnist like Coulter, Elder, or Krugman

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2010, 07:44:07 PM »
Milbanks remarks were made in an OP-ED . Not sure why O'Reilly wants us to think it was in a news report.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2010, 08:01:00 PM »
You just conceded that Milbanks is largely regarded as a reporter, NOT an editorialist.  If we wanted, we could and have gone into COUNTLESS examples of such overt bias by the MSM.  Stuff that Republicans would be crucified for, while Dems get a pass.  The lastest memo on how this Administration literally altered findings to more coincide with their decision making is a perfect, and very recent example. 

If you wish to ignore and feign such, you merely reinforce O'Reily's points on how "blind" most folks are to what's being allowed to pass for "news" now adays.  A news reporter and his editor CLEARLY lying about Fox, but you seem to have no issues with it. 

And one wonders why the MSM has been allowed to have mutated into such a LW propoganda machine.  Nothing to see here.....move along.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2010, 08:07:19 PM »
You just conceded that Milbanks is largely regarded as a reporter, NOT an editorialist.

Actually i didn't.

And if you clicked on the link i provided you would see that clearly the POST thinks of him as an OP-ED columnist. Which i wasn't clear on, until i found the column that O'Reilly took issue with.