Author Topic: Are you suffering from Fox-o-phobia?  (Read 13168 times)

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Are you suffering from Fox-o-phobia?
« Reply #30 on: November 15, 2010, 04:48:28 PM »
That's what a debate forum is all about
- Reporter: Brian Williams
- Columnist: Paul Krugman
- Depends on who is reporting (and what) on your Debkafiles

The blurr is the folks hosting cable news shows, radio shows, blogs, and how they are treated/assumed to be.  The sharp clearness is the bias present, within the MSM.
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #31 on: November 15, 2010, 05:01:02 PM »
Is Brian Williams part of the MSM?

Does he show bias?

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: November 15, 2010, 05:13:33 PM »
This might help in your quest:

The main activity of journalism is the reporting of events by stating who, what, when, where, why and how and explaining the significance and impact of the event or trend. Journalism exists in a number of media: newspapers, television, radio, magazines and the internet as a newcomer.

Generally, a distinction is drawn between reporting (just the facts) and opinions: such as editorials, (the official opinions of the paper) and op-ed columns ("opposite the editorial page" commentary).

However, this distinction is sometimes difficult to make. Journalists may unintentionally fall prey to propaganda or disinformation. Journalists may give a biased account of facts by being selective in their reporting, for instance focusing on anecdote or giving partial explanation of actions. Foreign reporting may be more susceptible, because few people can and do check such reports.

http://www.wordiq.com/definition/Journalism

I have bolded what to me would be objective facts. The why is subjective and could be subject to bias.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: November 15, 2010, 08:08:19 PM »
Is Brian Williams part of the MSM?  Does he show bias?

Yes & yes
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: November 15, 2010, 08:12:00 PM »
In his role as reporter, how does he show bias?

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: November 15, 2010, 08:35:21 PM »
By all-too-frequent parroting of Democrat talking points, both in his reporting of stories, and when interviewing politicians or pundits.  It's one thing to play "devil's advocate" by taking a contrary position in questioning someone.  But when it becomes all too one sided in a particular position, the objectivity to that of a supposed "reporter" is lost.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: November 15, 2010, 08:37:49 PM »
Could your provide a specific example of this?

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: November 15, 2010, 09:16:33 PM »
NBC?s Tom Brokaw: ?Matt Kibbe, who speaks for Freedom Works, the Dick Armey organization has said, ?We want this message to go across the country. The people want less from their federal government.? We?ve heard that before, when it bumps up against reality and you?re talking about closing a base or shutting down an agricultural substation of some kind, then it gets pretty tough to do, Brian.?
Anchor Brian Williams: ?Reminds me of the signs at more than one rally this past season: ?Get the government out of my Social Security. Get the government out of my Medicare.??
? During NBC?s election night coverage, November 2.

Before the Nov elections: In selecting which excerpts, from his sit-down with former President Jimmy Carter, to showcase on Monday's NBC Nightly News, Williams began with the not so humble boast from Carter that ?I feel that my role as a former President is probably superior to that of other Presidents, primarily because of the activism and the injection of the Carter Center into international affairs,? but also decided to highlight Carter's blast at Fox News for ?totally distorting everything possible concerning the facts? and having ?no regard for the truth.?   Basically providing Carter a podium to bash Fox, with no demonstrating of "playing devil's advocate"

Williams showed a dramatic contrast in interviewing presidents on Katrina: Bush was bullied as a racist, but Obama was treated like a statesman offering wisdom.  Even went so far as to "feel Obama's pain" as it relates to how there are too many who misunderstand his faith

The examples are countless, and they demonstrate a consistent bent in both his "reporting" and how he interviews his guests.  Hint, they are neither fair nor balanced

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: November 15, 2010, 09:56:26 PM »
Did you cut and paste that from somewhere?

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: November 16, 2010, 01:01:18 AM »
Many of the examples are taken from Media Research Center

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #40 on: November 16, 2010, 01:40:29 AM »
Many of the examples are taken from Media Research Center

Are they unbiased?

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #41 on: November 16, 2010, 02:53:01 AM »
They report liberal bias.  Does that automatically make them bias?  More importantly, is what they report inaccurate?

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #42 on: November 16, 2010, 03:09:19 AM »
They report liberal bias.  Does that automatically make them bias?  More importantly, is what they report inaccurate?

I would think that if they were to report media bias whether it leans left or right, they might be considered more impartial. But that isn't their mission, nor is it what their readers expect when they come to their page each day.

I have no idea whether what they report is accurate or not. Nor do i know what they expect the endgame of all this effort would be.

What would you like the endgame to be, as this seems to be an issue dear to your heart.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #43 on: November 16, 2010, 03:31:55 AM »
They report liberal bias.  Does that automatically make them bias?  More importantly, is what they report inaccurate?

I have no idea whether what they report is accurate or not. Nor do i know what they expect the endgame of all this effort would be.

And end game mandates an agenda.  There is no "endgame" here, by MRC.  They're merely reporting the bias.  That's what provides the objectivity, you're looking for, not to mention no refuting of much, if not all, their reporting

What would you like the endgame to be

MY endgame would be education of the electorate...especially on the points that echo O'Reilly's concerns, regarding the MSM and what it has mutated into
« Last Edit: November 24, 2010, 12:36:00 AM by sirs »

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #44 on: November 16, 2010, 04:06:33 AM »
Do you believe persons of reasonable intelligence are aware that pretty much all the data they receive from outside sources is biased, filtered or incomplete in one way or another?

Do you believe that those persons of reasonable intelligence are more than capable of finding out further details concerning issues of interest to them, whether it be through the internet, libraries or discussing the issue with others who have similar curiosity?

I am sure that those who are incapable of determining the facts on their  thank your for your valiant efforts

But in regards to MRC, they can't be objective when dealing with subjective issues. Especially when they bring a predetermined bias to the table.