Author Topic: Science Fictions  (Read 3469 times)

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Science Fictions
« on: December 14, 2006, 12:49:43 PM »
Fiction: If you fall into quicksand, you’ll be sucked under and die.
Fact: You’ll only sink up to your waist.

Fiction: Sitting too close to the TV will ruin your eyes.
Fact: It causes fatigue but no permanent damage.

Fiction: Earth’s rotation causes bathtubs, sinks, and toilets to drain clockwise in the northern hemisphere, counterclockwise in the southern hemisphere.
Fact: They can go either way in either hemisphere. The shape of the basin and the direction of the incoming flow overwhelm the minuscule effect of planetary spin.

Fiction: Benjamin Franklin’s kite was struck by lightning.
Fact: The kite picked up electricity from the air, causing an arc between Franklin’s hand and a key tied to his end of the string.

Fiction: A penny dropped from the top of a skyscraper can kill someone.
Fact: It could never pick up enough velocity to kill, just to bang you up a little.

Fiction: Swimming after you eat will cause cramps and lead to drowning.
Fact: There is a very slight risk of cramps, but only for vigorous swimmers.

Fiction: A drunken teenager can tip over a sleeping cow.
Fact: It would take several semisober people and a paralyzed cow. Anyway, cows sleep lying down.

Fiction: There’s a dark side of the moon.
Fact: The entire lunar surface receives sunlight during the moon’s monthly orbit around Earth.

Fiction: Swallowed chewing gum takes seven years to digest.
Fact: Gum is not digested. It passes through the gastro-intestinal system, usually within 24 hours.

– Aria Pearson

Article
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

Brassmask

• View Profile
  • Liked:
Re: Science Fictions
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2006, 01:25:35 PM »
Fiction: There’s a dark side of the moon.
Fact: The entire lunar surface receives sunlight during the moon’s monthly orbit around Earth.

But, I'm curious, I was under the impression the same side of the moon always faces the earth.  I know that doesn't preclude the sun hitting all sides but isn't that true?

The moon does not rotate on its axis, right?

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2006, 01:44:03 PM »
But, I'm curious, I was under the impression the same side of the moon always faces the earth.  I know that doesn't preclude the sun hitting all sides but isn't that true?

It's tidally locked to the Earth, yes.

The moon does not rotate on its axis, right?

Of course it does. It's "day" is the same length as it's orbital period. If it didn't rotate, it would present different sides to the Earth during it's orbit.
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2006, 08:41:41 PM »
Fiction: If you fall into quicksand, you’ll be sucked under and die.
Fact: You’ll only sink up to your waist.

What if it's REALLY DEEP quicksand?
How did they manage to get the poor victims to vanish below the surface of the quicksand in the movies?
Did they use oatmeal?
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2006, 09:39:49 PM »
What if it's REALLY DEEP quicksand?
How did they manage to get the poor victims to vanish below the surface of the quicksand in the movies?
Did they use oatmeal?

Depth doesn't matter; quicksand is denser than water, therefore you won't sink as deeply.

"Mythbusters" built a quicksand tank to test it. Apparently YouTube has the episode - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4R0nKiE-9Q. Haven't watched it all, but it looks complete.

And they used special effects in the movies; it wasn't real. Those actors appeared in other movies after their deaths, didn't they?

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2006, 10:08:16 PM »
And they used special effects in the movies; it wasn't real. Those actors appeared in other movies after their deaths, didn't they?

Geez. I feel so silly having shed all those tears for Old Yeller lo those many years ago.

Universe Prince

• Of course liberty isn't safe; but it is good.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2006, 11:00:44 PM »

"Mythbusters" built a quicksand tank to test it.

After watching the episode where they "proved" that ice bullets were impossible, I find one has to take the show with a grain or two of salt, so to speak.
Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever.
--Hieronymus Karl Frederick Baron von Munchausen ("The Adventures of Baron Munchausen" [1988])--

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2006, 11:37:12 PM »
After watching the episode where they "proved" that ice bullets were impossible, I find one has to take the show with a grain or two of salt, so to speak.[/color]

That's not the one I have issues with - it pretty much agrees with other documentation.

What problem did you have with that episode?

Universe Prince

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2006, 11:46:44 PM »

What problem did you have with that episode?

Well, the guy who was making the ice bullet tried to make one with a mold, and he couldn't make it work, so he said it couldn't be done. I would never have tried making one with a mold. The obvious way to make an ice bullet is to carve one from a piece of ice. The guy on the show never tried that or even mentioned it. He moved on to trying frozen meat bullets or some such.
Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever.
--Hieronymus Karl Frederick Baron von Munchausen ("The Adventures of Baron Munchausen" [1988])--

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2006, 11:54:46 PM »
Well, the guy who was making the ice bullet tried to make one with a mold, and he couldn't make it work, so he said it couldn't be done. I would never have tried making one with a mold. The obvious way to make an ice bullet is to carve one from a piece of ice. The guy on the show never tried that or even mentioned it. He moved on to trying frozen meat bullets or some such.

Actually, they did a slow freeze on the a "retest" of the myth the next season. They were able to get a bullet, which instantly vaporized when it was fired. The heat is too much for the bullet.

Also, ice is very brittle and breaks easily.

Anything you think they might have gotten wrong, you can send it in, and if you have a valid claim, they'll do a retest.

The complaint I had was with their testing methods for the aerodynamics of a pickup truck. They retested in a later episode using some of my suggestions, and they found that they were wrong originally. The original test seemed to show that a pickup truck gets the best mileage with the tailgate up. However, on the retest, the best mileage was achieved by removing the gate and replacing it with a net - which was my claim.

Universe Prince

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2006, 12:23:40 AM »

They were able to get a bullet, which instantly vaporized when it was fired. The heat is too much for the bullet.

That was always what seemed to me to be the major flaw of an ice bullet. It would have to practically be supercooled to withstand the temperatures of being fired from the gun, and I'm not sure that would solve the problem.

I hardly ever watch the show, so I did not know they did retests.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2006, 06:36:04 AM »
I think that an Ice Bullet couldwork if it were pretty big and super cooled.

A slug of ice fired from a shotgun could be insulated from the heat of the powder explosion by a wadding , the ice could be a lot colder than -32 and so could soak up some heat before it reached melting point. A reduced charge of powder would keep the light projectile from haveing supersonic friction in the air.
And the range could be short.

A Shotgun shell in a cooler with liquid nitrogen would do it.

But this procedure doesn't make a reasonable assissians wepon.

Perhaps a bullet made of bone?