Author Topic: Hypothetical Senate Question  (Read 5835 times)

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Hypothetical Senate Question
« on: December 14, 2006, 04:11:55 PM »
Again, this is purely hypotehtical, and in no way is wishing to see Senator Johnson incapacitated or on his death bed.  Besides simple common human concern, as a medical professional, my position will always be in support of a complete recovery. 

If the poll allows for comments, by all means, please add the "why" to any option you choose, that doesn't follow both legal & historical precedent.  Legally, as Bt has indicated, the governor can appoint whomever, and historically, when Dems gained a 50/50 in the Senate, during Bush's 1st tenure, they demanded and received co-chairmanships.

So what-say-you folks?
« Last Edit: December 14, 2006, 05:46:59 PM by sirs »
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
Re: Hypothetical Senate Question
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2006, 04:20:52 PM »
The law of South Dakato says that the governor appoints a replacement as necessary, there are no restrictions as to whom he can appoint.

The same type of law was in effect here in Georgia when Paul Coverdell died and was replaced by Zell Miller.

Where there joint chairs when Jeffords switched?

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
Johnson able to retain senate seat even in prolonged absence
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2006, 05:44:53 PM »
Thursday, December 14, 2006

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- The Democrats' slight hold on power in the Senate is largely safe despite South Dakota Democratic Sen. Tim Johnson's health scare, Senate Historian Don Richie tells CNN. As stipulated by Senate rules, Johnson could retain his seat even if he is incapacitated, unable to vote, and not even able to show up to work.

Moreover, the Senate does not have the power to forcefully remove Johnson unless he committed a crime.

Such a scenario has even occurred in Johnson's home state of South Dakota. After South Dakota Sen. Karl Earle Mundt had a stroke in 1969 he remained in office until his term expired in 1973 without casting another vote after the governor refused Mundt's wish of appointing his wife to the post.

A state governor has the power to appoint a new senator only if the current senator dies in office or resigns his seat.

-- CNN Congressional Producer Ted Barrett

Article
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2006, 05:48:19 PM »
Thanks for the heads-up, Ami
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2006, 07:00:14 PM »
Hmmm, over 11 viewings, and yet only 1 vote, outside of myself.  Interesting

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2006, 01:08:36 PM »
Hmmm, over 11 viewings, and yet only 1 vote, outside of myself.  Interesting

I voted once.

Did you vote three times?

For a Democrat?

Can this be true?

I guess it depends on how you define "vote outside of myself"/

Was it like, an out-of-body experience, dude?
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2006, 03:00:47 PM »
I voted once.  Did you vote three times?  For a Democrat?  Can this be true?

No, you're only allowed to vote once.

Was it like, an out-of-body experience, dude?

Well, considering your rhetoric is most often non-reality based, you tell us

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2006, 03:20:28 PM »
Did you vote three times?

Ignoring the snark, at the time he posted his comment, there were a total of 2 votes cast. His and mine. For the same result, actually - the one enshrined in the South Dakota Code.
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

Brassmask

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2006, 04:42:32 PM »
Clearly, Rush and FOX are pushing hard for the Senator from SD to be declared incapacitated or else sirs wouldn't be so interested in what happens.

I haven't really looked into it yet, but I will be checking to see if his bout could have been induced in some way.

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2006, 04:45:27 PM »
Clearly, Rush and FOX are pushing hard for the Senator from SD to be declared incapacitated or else sirs wouldn't be so interested in what happens.

Apparently, the Governor can only name a replacement if he:

• Dies
  • Resigns
  • Is kicked out of the Senate

Being declared incapacitated won't do it.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2006, 04:54:08 PM »
I haven't really looked into it yet, but I will be checking to see if his bout could have been induced in some way.

::)

And of course the lack of proof will be proof positive that such a nefarious undertaking was at hand.  Knock your socks off, Brass

Brassmask

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2006, 05:15:12 PM »

Apparently, the Governor can only name a replacement if he:

• Dies
  • Resigns
  • Is kicked out of the Senate

Being declared incapacitated won't do it.

Too bad they didn't know that yesterday.

http://thinkprogress.org/2006/12/14/johnson-fox-news/

They report, you decide.

Brassmask

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2006, 05:16:13 PM »
And of course the lack of proof will be proof positive that such a nefarious undertaking was at hand.  Knock your socks off, Brass

Let's just see how it goes, shall we?

I said that I would be looking into it not that it had happened.  You should know how to assume, don'tcha?

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2006, 06:11:35 PM »
Let's just see how it goes, shall we?  I said that I would be looking into it not that it had happened.  You should know how to assume, don'tcha?

See how what goes?  You should know what a practical hypothetical is, correct?  So, what-say-you?  Something other than current legal and historical precedent?

Brassmask

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2006, 06:57:12 PM »
See how what goes?  You should know what a practical hypothetical is, correct?  So, what-say-you?  Something other than current legal and historical precedent?

You're out in Crazytown again.  I have no idea why you're getting all worked up.  All I said was I going to look into whether or not his condition could have been induced.  That's all.   ???

Geez.  At least let me make crazy accusations first!  We haven't even gotten to the point where we can make them yet.  There aren't even any indicators that something might have been done to Sen Johnson in order to try and get control of the Senate back to the lying scum in the GOP.  Sheesh.