Author Topic: But can it pick a strawberry?  (Read 8031 times)

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: But can it pick a strawberry?
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2010, 03:01:32 PM »
maybe certain labors should not be replaced by machines.

the farming population has been shrinking anyway , so machine replacements would be fairly doable.

I think fishing should not be since this is a occupation which also has wealthy people pay large amount money to do.

what do you guys think of coal miner being replaced by machines?

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2010, 10:55:37 PM »
Coal mining would be difficult to accomplish with robots, but they are useing a lot of power tools.

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2010, 11:43:22 PM »
uhm

I talked to a solor energy lawyer and he`s very certain that human labor will be removed in coal mining.
it does make abit of sense for companies to get rid of the miners.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2010, 12:15:03 PM »
Hopefully, coal mining will cease to exist before all the coal is burned. There is much harm in mining and burning coal, and even well-organized nuclear energy is vastly superior as an energy source.

In the 1960's there were still a few "gyppo" mines left around Buckhannon, WV, where I lived, where family groups and other non-union tiny companies still used only the traditional equipment to pull out a few tons a day. No one does this anymore, I hear.

The machines they use today are far more efficient and one operator can do the work that it took dozens to do in the 1940's.

But still, too many people die in mines,and the land is ruined for generations, if not forever, by mountaintop removal.

Coal mining will go the way of whaling, if we are lucky.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2010, 02:35:51 PM »
I wish that too
I`ve only been to leesburg once and what i saw is a very beautiful place.but what I understand is coal is extremely big part of that state and chances of any altenatives being introduced will be very hard

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2010, 06:13:23 PM »
Coal is too expensive to use when you calculate the damage to the miners, the land and the atmosphere. There is no such thing as "clean coal" that could be economically competitive with natural gas, which the US has in abundance.

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2010, 06:39:14 PM »
I just talked to that lawyer and he explained it not possible to extract a large percent of that coal without the tunnels falling apart. so it`s not exactly straight forward process

Kramer

• Repeal ObamaCare
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2010, 09:43:13 PM »
Coal is too expensive to use when you calculate the damage to the miners, the land and the atmosphere. There is no such thing as "clean coal" that could be economically competitive with natural gas, which the US has in abundance.

There you go again

well first off the miners like the work and it's optional whether they mine or not

Secondly if not for coal you would not be here today. Our nation became a Super Power out of coal.

Third, assholes like Jane Fonda screwed up the Nuclear Power in this country and you and Jane's minds think alike.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2010, 10:02:13 PM »
Yeah, right: Jane Fonda wrecked nuclear power. Three Mile Island, Hansford Works  and insurance companies refusing to write liability insurance had nothing to do with it.

You are a moron. con cascabeles.

Brassmask

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2010, 01:27:11 PM »
I love coming back here because Kramer always reminds what there is to hate about this country.   :D

It also makes me realize what a dumbass Obama is for wasting two years trying to reason with the right.  They simply know what they know and don't bother with things like facts.

Obama should have squashed them like cockroaches at a picnic and moved the country forward like El Capitan LBJ did.

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2010, 02:08:14 PM »
good seeing you

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: December 09, 2010, 06:20:26 PM »
Good to see you again, Brassmask.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: December 09, 2010, 11:12:48 PM »
That huge underclass with nothing to do could then enjoy a nationalized education system designed to create a population of educated folks who could spend hours and hours a day thinking of new ways to make life better for everyone on the planet rather than the underclass of folk who clean toilets and pick fruit just to make a few dollars a day to buy food and heat to remain alive so they can go back and clean toilets and pick fruit.

This seem like exactly the opposite of what I would expect.

How is "the underclass" going to come into possession of many robots?

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: December 09, 2010, 11:33:45 PM »
 I do believe in a national education but I do not believe it will develope a society of scholars. People are by nature lazy(or better term minimulist)and education is hardwork. unlike free healthcare people are not gonna signup in great amount for it. if you think about it the kids who goto public school are not exactly voluntary.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: December 10, 2010, 11:39:29 AM »
My experience is that a majority of students are far more interested in passing the class and getting a degree to actually learning anything useful. But there are students that are truly intellectually curious, who are actually seeking solutions to problems that are beyond their desires to earn more money. There are also students who are inspired by their college classes and become intellectually curious and learn to enjoy a quest for solutions.

And those are the people that this country actually desperately needs. They should be given all the education that can possibly benefit them.