Author Topic: But can it pick a strawberry?  (Read 8026 times)

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: But can it pick a strawberry?
« Reply #30 on: December 10, 2010, 12:02:59 PM »
true,

but if you think about it. a student has a much better chance at being a doctor or lawyer than a star athlete. but alot of students will think athletics is route to go.

academics is still not thought of as a option.

according the matt lesko college grants and scholarship are still greatly under ultilized.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: December 10, 2010, 05:03:34 PM »
I am not sure that it is wise to subsidize the output of lawyers, as they produce nothing.

Doctors, of course. We need doctors, as all are mortal and prone to disease and accidents.

Professional athletes do not really have all that great a career on average. The life expectancy of an NFL player is around 55. They get hit in the head a lot. Baseball and basketball players live longer. I am not sure about hockey players.

It is rather ironic that baseball players are not required to have anything to do with college. Most of the Dominican players do not graduate with more than an 8th grade education: they give them some bogus GED, I think.Hockey pros are not normally college students either, as I understand it.

And of course, most of them do not graduate from college with useful degrees, and in addition getting your skull bashed around every week is not conducive to success at any career.

A doctor can practice medicine until he is 65 or 70. A pro jock is extremely lucky to last until he is 40.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: December 10, 2010, 09:11:20 PM »
just a guess

it could be that tv shows athlete with rapper like lifestyles and notmuch on doctors.

the show kendra is about a playboy model married to a athlete.

didn`t michael vick get a show.

the show with doctor tend to be in unrelateable formats

very few show has entertaining academic formats.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: December 11, 2010, 12:49:15 AM »
very few show has entertaining academic formats.

=======================
The only one I can think of that was really good was The Paper Chase, about Yale Law School. It had a great cast. The old series Room 222 was among the best academic shows I recall. But the plot was rarely based on anything academic.

Doctor shows are a problem because most of the public doesn't know enough about medicine to relate. "House" is the best medical show by far in my book. It is a show that could become an obsession for a true hypochondriac.

People like to say that everyone's life would be a good novel, but that is really not true: most people's lives are too complicated for others to relate to, and most people's lives do not build up to a stirring climax, either.

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: December 11, 2010, 04:15:23 AM »
I love house, It has the best and very inspirng origin story. be the best at anyone thing and you can get away with being the biggest a$$h0le.

that speaks to me

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: December 11, 2010, 05:58:54 PM »
"House" is very close to be a medical version of Sherlock Holmes, with a supporting cast of attending Watsons.

Conventional medical knowledge, that never seems to work in diagnosing any of the patients, would be the figurative Inspector LeStrade, of Scotland Yard, who also never got the right man or the right motive.