Author Topic: Speaking of Politics as usual  (Read 17774 times)

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
Re: Speaking of Politics as usual
« Reply #30 on: December 09, 2010, 11:16:18 PM »
It can be a judgement call, the Mayor can continue to think as he mops his own floor , so little is gained in hireing a janitor for the Mayor, but the clerk who renews licences is busy all day and has a reduction of productivuty when he has to stop and clean up.

Of course the assumption is that productivity is indeed increased when the mundane tasks are offloaded to other less revenue enhancing staff, and i'm not sure that is always the case.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: December 10, 2010, 12:19:33 AM »
How To Get Paid To Do Nothing
Susan Adams, 12.08.10, 6:00 PM ET

Some years ago I had a colleague I'll call June. It seemed that every time I went to the ladies' room, June was there, applying mascara, combing her long, dark tresses and chatting. She also spent lots of time out on the sidewalk smoking, and in the cafeteria. Exceedingly friendly and warm, she knew everyone and devoted much of her day to catching up on their personal news. What she didn't spend much time on was work. A guy who sat in the cubicle next to hers once told me that he estimated she put in just two hours a day of what could be described as productive labor.

Eric Abrahamson, a professor at Columbia Business School who specializes in leadership and organizational problem solving, calls people like June "Michelangelos of work avoidance." Abrahamson studies workplace fads and time management and has looked closely at the ways some employees manage to get paid to do nothing. He doesn't advocate their practices, but he says that understanding them can help managers address office inequities and make their teams more productive.
In Pictures: How To Get Paid To Do Nothing

Work-avoidance Michelangelos know how to stay idle while suffering no consequences or, in some cases, even getting promoted. June lasted in her job for more than a decade before finally being laid off, and when her termination came it had little to do with her lack of productivity. The office was automating her job.

One of her skills was spending little time at her desk or anywhere near the department where she supposedly worked, so that her bosses didn't even think about her much. Out of sight, out of mind, you might say. "If people don't think of you, they can't give you work," Abrahamson says. Other ways to accomplish that: Arrive at different, unpredictable times of day. Work from home. Set up your schedule so that you frequently change locations.

Another tactic: Don't empty your voicemail box. That way when people call they'll get the impression you're working so hard you don't even have time to delete messages. This has the added advantage of making it impossible for bosses or colleagues to leave you verbal instructions about work assignments.

If your boss does manage to track you down and try to give you some work, you can strategically deploy a kind of good-natured cluelessness. "The principal here is that you try to give work to a person and come to the conclusion that they can't even understand the instructions," Abrahamson explains. In such a case most bosses will figure it's easier to do the work themselves.

If you perform a specialized function within your office, you can distort the time it takes to get it done. Among June's supposed jobs was keeping time sheets for her department's staff. No one else knew the system she'd set up or how long keeping the data took. Thus she could make a task that took minutes appear to consume hours of toil. People with computer expertise who work among Luddites can easily exploit this tactic.

Then there's what Abrahamson calls the anticipatory screw-up. Make it clear to your boss, in the most pleasant way possible, that you will fail at the assignment she wants to give you. "You don't have to fail," advises Abrahamson. "You just have to be clear that you're going to fail." Most smart bosses will then give the job to someone else.

Appearing overworked can be a surefire way to avoid further assignments. If anyone asks you how you're doing, simply reply, "I am working so hard, I don't even have time to go to the bathroom." (For June, this line would obviously not apply.) Another good one: "I'm so busy I think I'm coming down with something."

You can also form an alliance with a colleague to mutually stage the appearance of overwork. Ask me whether Fred can take on a new assignment, and I'd say, "Fred is so busy, he hasn't been sleeping." Likewise, if the boss suggested he'd like me to do a project, Fred could say, "Susan can't possibly take on any more; she's spent every weekend in the office for the last two months."

A time-tested tactic for work avoidance: Take credit for the work of others. Especially popular in academia and in political circles and among senior executives, the idea is to grab the glory for a project that you merely supervised or got started rather than spent hours executing.

Finally, there is the burgeoning field of cyberloafing. This takes many forms. You can program your e-mail to send messages in the wee hours while you're asleep, to give the appearance that you're toiling away at 2 a.m. Or you can program your computer screen, on which you're playing your 17th game of solitaire, to display an Excel spreadsheet at the press of a key if you see the boss approaching. "It's a whole new loafing medium," Abrahamson says. "Cyberloafing is the work avoidance of the future."

http://www.forbes.com/2010/12/08/get-paid-to-do-nothing-leadership-careers-advice_print.html

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #32 on: December 10, 2010, 01:38:45 AM »
Never said they were.

Glad we can agree that janitors add to the cost to doing business.

You're not going to try pulling that misrepresentation crap again are you.  The cost is offset by the increased productivity and product of that business, that janitors allow for, as my actual respresentation made clear.  Otherwise, they wouldn't be in business      ::)
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

bsb

« Reply #33 on: December 10, 2010, 01:43:20 AM »
>>Right behind any politician that has stamped his agenda of dismantling Obama's agenda which has wrought this country it's current economic & unemployment misery<<

While I can certainly understand not knowing much about the history of this country say, during the early part of the 19th century, getting it so wrong about such recent history, though, just boggles the mind.

In case you don't remember the current economic meltdown, world wide meltdown in fact, showed it's ugly head while Bush was still in office. And further, any beliefs that anyone else would have turned it around by now, and that we'd purring along in an economy fueled by any sort of significant job growth, is living a fantasy.

bsb

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: December 10, 2010, 04:06:31 AM »
>>Right behind any politician that has stamped his agenda of dismantling Obama's agenda which has wrought this country it's current economic & unemployment misery<<

In case you don't remember the current economic meltdown, world wide meltdown in fact, showed it's ugly head while Bush was still in office.

Yea, ....................and?  Timing not your strong suit?  The tax cuts went into effect, and by nearly every account referenced, helped steer us out of would could have been a complete economic meltdown, when 911 hit the WTC.  Unemployment remained at record lows...jobs were plentiful.  It wasn't until the Housing bubble burst, just like the dot-com bursted Clinton's economy, that the economy started to tank.  Had nothing to do with the tax cuts, and very much to do with the egregious mismanagement of Freddy & Fannie.  And Bush IS at fault for pushing home ownership, and not directing the GOP to better reign in Fannie & Freddie.  But when the Dems took over, Fannie & Freddie went unchecked.  And when Obama opened the spending spickets, you get what we have now

"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: December 10, 2010, 06:34:06 AM »
The cost is offset by the increased productivity and product of that business, that janitors allow for, as my actual respresentation made clear.  Otherwise, they wouldn't be in business      Roll Eyes

You assume that there is a corresponding increase in productivity amongst the revenue generating portion of the staff. And that is not a given. You also stated that given the choice you would hire a revenue generator before you hired a janitor. To say that i misrepresented your position is just nuts.  :o

bsb

« Reply #36 on: December 10, 2010, 07:10:01 AM »
What are you talking about sirs? I didn't say anything about tax cuts involving the economic meltdown. That was another thread.

The current meltdown arrived full blown, although it had been brewing for years, in the fall of '08. Remember? The banking crisis, financial crisis, etc., etc? TARP, remember? Remember Bush signing TARP into law in Oct of '08? Huh?

That's what the current economic uncertainty is all about. That's why we're in the boat we're in. And it isn't over by a long shot.

bsb

« Last Edit: December 10, 2010, 01:44:52 PM by bsb »

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: December 10, 2010, 02:21:48 PM »
What are you talking about sirs? I didn't say anything about tax cuts involving the economic meltdown. That was another thread.

The current meltdown arrived full blown, although it had been brewing for years, in the fall of '08. Remember? The banking crisis, financial crisis, etc., etc? TARP, remember? Remember Bush signing TARP into law in Oct of '08? Huh?

Yea, and the Phillies won the World Series while Bush was in office in '08.  Obviously then, he led to the demise of the Pittsburg Pirates.  Are you purposely not paying attention?  Seems to be going on alot around here when folks are trying to disagree with me.  A) I did NOT give Bush a pass.  I HAVE criticized him for signing TARP and signing on to the increased spending.  B) The economy tanked when the Housing bubble blew, and that can be traced directly to Fannie & Freddie, and the DC push to get banks to take on home loans to folks who had no business owning a home in the 1st place.  This can ALSO be attributed to Bush

The policies, and worse, the completely irresponsible spending of Washington, spearheaded by the Democrats, took an exponential turn for the worse when Obama took over.  THERE's your perpetuating uncertainty at the heart of the current economic abyss we're in

The cost is offset by the increased productivity and product of that business, that janitors allow for, as my actual respresentation made clear.  Otherwise, they wouldn't be in business      Roll Eyes

You assume that there is a corresponding increase in productivity amongst the revenue generating portion of the staff. And that is not a given. You also stated that given the choice you would hire a revenue generator before you hired a janitor. To say that i misrepresented your position is just nuts.  :o

No, the nuts part is to imply that the janitor is simply an "extra cost", that could apparently be absorbed by the salesman taking out his own trash.  Can't explain it any more on how it helps the bottom line of the company by hiring the janitor.  And that is what the issue has been all about
« Last Edit: December 10, 2010, 04:49:22 PM by sirs »

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: December 10, 2010, 02:29:36 PM »
A janitor is an extra cost, almost a luxury for a small business. Not sure why that is too difficult a concept for you to grasp.

Compared to other strategic staff additions a janitor's direct contributions to the bottom line would be dwarfed.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: December 10, 2010, 02:36:02 PM »
Your bubble problem is that the janitor is not hired just to be hired.  A business that doesn't make a profit fails.  If a janitor causes a business to lose money because of "their cost", they won't be much of a success, will they.  Apparently, to business wanting to succeed, they actually hire janitors, so their salesman can focus on sales vs time taken away in cleaning bathrooms, thus improving the company's bottom line

Not sure why that concept is so hard to grasp

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #40 on: December 10, 2010, 02:49:40 PM »
Again,  a janitor is not a necessary component to a business's profitability.

Have you ever run a business?

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #41 on: December 10, 2010, 03:06:06 PM »
AND I NEVER SAID THEY WERE "NECESSARY".  Again, someone who can't seem to pay attention, when I clearly said that earlier.  Business apparently have a need for improving their bottom line, and the hiring of said janitors apparently helps that bottom line.  Otherwise, they wouldn't be in business

oy

Brassmask

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #42 on: December 10, 2010, 03:37:23 PM »
Offset by the increased revenues brought in by the increased production of x

Hiring a new accountant doesn't make the cheese product shredders run any faster.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #43 on: December 10, 2010, 03:40:20 PM »
If it helps their bottom line, it doesn't matter how fast the shredders are going

Brassmask

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #44 on: December 10, 2010, 03:49:00 PM »
If it helps their bottom line, it doesn't matter how fast the shredders are going

Look, dude, an accoutant is an added cost to a company that makes shredded cheese. Ok?  You can ramble on about offsets and bottom lines, but an accountant's salary, unless his added duties included "dropping blocks of cheese product into the shredder, is never going to be offset by an increase in cheese sold because an accountant can make people buy more cheese.

Not you can make the case that he may improve the bottom line by exploiting loopholes and finding unnecessary workers and firing them but the amount of product sold (whether less or more) can never be attributable to his being hired.

That's all I'm saying.