Author Topic: LOL I Can't Stop Laughin'!! Bush...Earmarks...LOL, OMG!!!  (Read 4932 times)

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
Re: LOL I Can't Stop Laughin'!! Bush...Earmarks...LOL, OMG!!!
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2006, 01:24:11 PM »
I also spend a lot of time informing them what I want.

Hopefully they will listen

_JS

• Salaires legers. Chars lourds.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2006, 01:40:20 PM »
Ok you are right , but Republicans were the vehicle of Conservatism in 94 and this brought them a mandate that they are busy giveing away for the sake of "pragmatism".

There are a number of reasons for that. For starters, 1994 was twelve years ago and things have changed in twelve years. Pragmatism and realpolitik are strategies that update as things change, they evolve and adapt to the times. If you stick to a twelve year-old manifesto then you are doomed to the political wasteland.

Secondly, much of the political capital gained in 1994 was spent in what was seen by the public as a wasted effort of vehemently attacking President Clinton to the point of bringing about articles of impeachment. It was to the point that even Republican Senators such as Fred Thompson and John Warner did not find the president guilty on all of the charges. (I'm not stating an opinion, just that it was perceived by the public at the time to be a waste and the President's approval ratings were not bad during that time). Plus the author of much of the 1994 "revolution" went down in scandal after the President survived his scandal.

Third, it is easy to criticize from outside the seats of power (as the Democrats will surely see). You can make all kinds of spending promises and delight socially conservative-minded folks with your speeches when you are out of power. When you are in power it is far more difficult to enact such legislation and such fiscal restraints. Cutting programs is difficult, not because people don't have the will or we live in a "dependency dociety" or some such bullshit, but because the fiscal processes of the Federal Government are far more complex than that "run government like a business" or "the government budget should be like a family budget" talk implies. Plus, many of those Federal programs and operations actually exist for a legitimate reason, so you have to have an equally compelling reason to remove them.

Fourth, pork and PAC influence is difficult to prevent. I once lived in a district that had a Republican Congressman for thirty-two years. Did he author any spectacular legislation? No. Was he a talented public speaker? No. So people voted for the guy because they were mindless Republicans? No. They loved him because he got things done locally in a region that rarely received any national or even state attention. Plus, he ran an office that could get things done for you quickly (far more quickly than the dopes who replaced him - though thankfully I live elsewhere now). So, on a national level you might critique the guy as not being a good Congressman, but locally he won Republican and Democrat votes because he was good to his constituents. Whether or not that is a bad thing depends upon one's point of view. Newt did not like him and removed him from committees when he became Speaker. The older generation of moderate Republicans loved him. Now the district has a nobody who preaches the gospel of Newt and gets nothing for the locals (plus runs a lousy office). Which was really the better?

I smell something burning, hope it's just my brains.
They're only dropping peppermints and daisy-chains
   So stuff my nose with garlic
   Coat my eyes with butter
   Fill my ears with silver
   Stick my legs in plaster
   Tell me lies about Vietnam.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2006, 02:43:21 PM »
Which was really the better?

You bring up a good point. The job of a representative is to you guessed it represent the people who sent him to DC.

It is not there job to preach fiscal conservatism if their district and the people in it are not fiscal conservatives. It is not to enact socially conservative legislation if the people in their district don't give  damn what their neighbors do.

It is not hard to understand conservative democrats like Zell Miller. It shouldn't be hard to accept moderate republicans like Olympia Snowe.

Far as i am concerned these purity tests are silly.

Brassmask

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2006, 05:50:02 PM »

The questions begs, "why then have parties at all?"  More and more I see the D and the R as totally useless especially when I see a Lieberman, Ford or Miller.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2006, 06:54:07 PM »
The questions begs, "why then have parties at all?"  More and more I see the D and the R as totally useless especially when I see a Lieberman, Ford or Miller

Because parties bring added value.

Let's say you made the best hamburgers in town and everyone one said you should open a lil restaurant. You agreed you made a good burger and with a restaurant you could serve more people.

Think of parties as the soft drink you would serve. Coke? Pepsi? Who would give you the best marketing package? Who would bring the most feet to the store.

They come for the candidate (burger) the soda (party) is part of the combo pack.

You ever notice the more local the election the less party matters?

yellow_crane

« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2006, 09:29:35 PM »

What administration in the past has commanded such a hard line, one idea party (on both sides of the aisle) like the current administration?  Seemed for the longest time, there was only one voice, and so intratable were they that the Democrats where deadchecked on both sides of the aisle.

Talk about 'purity tests.'

Because of their purity tests to date, I would feel indeed cheated if I voted for a moderate Republican, only to have them go to DC under this administration, pressured to vote in concert under a ruthless Rove/DeLay eye.

Course things are a little different now.   

Probably the greatest thing to come out of the Iraq War was it allowed some Republicans to stand up and say, as did Olaf . . . "there is some shit I will not eat."

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2006, 10:06:25 PM »

What administration in the past has commanded such a hard line, one idea party (on both sides of the aisle) like the current administration?  Seemed for the longest time, there was only one voice, and so intratable were they that the Democrats where deadchecked on both sides of the aisle.

Talk about 'purity tests.'

Because of their purity tests to date, I would feel indeed cheated if I voted for a moderate Republican, only to have them go to DC under this administration, pressured to vote in concert under a ruthless Rove/DeLay eye.

Course things are a little different now.   

Probably the greatest thing to come out of the Iraq War was it allowed some Republicans to stand up and say, as did Olaf . . . "there is some shit I will not eat."

So you did not see the Republicans of Congress getting more moderate and pragmatic as BT and I did?