Author Topic: Words I Never Thought I'd Say: Angelina Jolie Is Exactly Right  (Read 5868 times)

Brassmask

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Words I Never Thought I'd Say: Angelina Jolie Is Exactly Right
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2006, 01:14:11 PM »
hygeine and nutrition.

uhm.
the government can barely feed passable food to kids
keeping them clean is a tall order
It`s next to impossible for me to get my nephews to not wear dirty clothes.
any parent with a backyard should understand what I mean.
especially when they want to make there own swimming pool out of dirt and a waterhose

Uhm, hey, I didn't say that the government should enforce hygeine and nutrition only teach it.  The class would only need to show the students what is nutritious and hygenic and if they fail to use that knowledge, so what? 

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2006, 01:36:36 PM »
The class would only need to show the students what is nutritious and hygenic and if they fail to use that knowledge, so what? 

Then what is the point? Is this one of those we should do this so we can say we tried? In other words is this more about you, than the kids?

Brassmask

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2006, 02:07:59 PM »
The class would only need to show the students what is nutritious and hygenic and if they fail to use that knowledge, so what? 

Then what is the point? Is this one of those we should do this so we can say we tried? In other words is this more about you, than the kids?

What is the point of teaching kids anything then?  Of course, it is about me.  It's about everyone!  The point is to give people as much opportunity in the form of knowledge to be prepared and learn how to do things properly but this is a free society so we can't FORCE people to do everything that is right in the absence of law.  No one is forced to use algrebra after they leave high school.  No one is forced to remember that Washington was the first president.  The point is that knowledge is power and a headstart on the unpredictability of life in general. 

Childcare classes would have the effect of giving kids a peek into the realities of life and would have no end of positive repercussions.  A kid would learn what their own parents had to do for them as a child and that would perhaps lead to a greater appreciation of parents by their kids.  Seeing how having a child is a 24-7 job can only lead to greater reticence in participating in the act that creates that job.  In the event of a childbirth by a person who took the class, that person would then have a leg up in that they know what will be required of them and what tools they will need.  And all of these things can only be good for society as a whole.  Do you honestly disagree with this?

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2006, 02:11:19 PM »
Childcare classes are offered as electives in what used to be called home ec.

Brassmask

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2006, 02:15:03 PM »

Make them compulsory and we have consensus.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2006, 02:18:18 PM »

No we don't. Who sets the curriculum? Who determines proper childrearing practices. When did the state become in charge of this?

Brassmask

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2006, 02:35:24 PM »

No we don't. Who sets the curriculum? Who determines proper childrearing practices. When did the state become in charge of this?

You say the classes are already in place!!  You're making this harder than it is.  You're trying to make it out like I'm advocating schools telling kids whether they should raise their kids as jews or Baptists when the parents are one of each.  I'm advocating teaching kids how to communicate with each other so when problems like this arise in their marriages, they can resolve them without someone getting shot or smacked around. 

Is there some ideological problem you have with teaching kids that when a baby shats its diaper, you change it asap?  Is that something that goes against your fucking freedom to make your own decisions?  I just don't get it.  Is it just that you think that a mother should have a choice in whether or not to give her kid diaper rash?  Are kids viewed as so much property to you?  WTF, dude?

Even if that is the case that you think a mother should have the right to not change a kid's diaper and to actually create diaper rash, then by all means, no one is forcing her into not allowing it to happen by telling her that it WILL happen.  Hell, maybe the knowledge will enlighten her to her choices of how to create rashes!  Either way, she has choices.

I can really understand your hesitance in having licenses for childbirth.  I get that.  I realize that is a radical solution no matter how much I believe it is nearly a necessary solution to the rampant childbirth rate and abuse rate.  Your unwillingness to go along with that is absolutely respectable and understandable on my end.

What I don't understand is this watered-down version of preparation for childrearing that you yourself have said is already in place.  As far as I know, every OB/GYN informs an expecting mother of where she can go and take child-birthing classes.  My wife and I went and it reduced our stress over the impending birth date immensely.  Knowing what was coming took a lot of the terror out of it by letting us run through it in our heads a few times prior.

Teaching kids in high school that diapers are not one a day items is just a no-brainer to me in light of the FACT that my wife had a client who actually THOUGHT THAT!  Now, if this kind of thing is offensive to your ideological sensibilities, then we have a non-starter here.  I'm talking basics that have no effect on freedoms of choice.  How to give a baby a bath and whether or not you should bathe your baby is not the same as you must never spank your child.  It just isn't.  And if you think it is, you're wrong.

If you think it is, then you have to be against teaching driver education in school as well.

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2006, 02:46:09 PM »
You say the classes are already in place!!  You're making this harder than it is.

Not only are they in place, in some districts (like the one I lived in in Minnesota) they're already part of the graduation requirements.

This is the level the decision should be on - at the local level.
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2006, 03:27:17 PM »
This is the level the decision should be on - at the local level.

Precisely.

On a side note my sister teaches such a class and has done so for close to 30 years.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2006, 07:02:35 PM »

This is the bad attitude that makes people hate Liberalism with a passion.