Author Topic: I wonder why they dont trust US- HMMM  (Read 2143 times)

Mucho

I wonder why they dont trust US- HMMM
« on: December 22, 2006, 03:13:22 PM »
Back to Story - Help

Iraq town has little faith in U.S. trial of Marines
By Majid HameedFri Dec 22, 10:45 AM ET
Iraqis in Haditha, where 24 unarmed civilians were killed last year, said on Friday four U.S. Marines charged with their murder should be executed, a penalty they will not face in the United States.

"They should hand them over to us so that we can kill them. They do not deserve a trial," said one young man who refused to give his name.

Khaled Salman, whose sister Asmaa was among 24 people killed in Haditha, gathered with friends in the early hours of Friday to watch television coverage of the charges being announced.

"Those soldiers killed 24 people. They killed women and children, isn't that enough for them be executed? Just so that the family can have peace," said Salman, 41.

"It's a political trial and it will not bring our rights back," said Salman, visibly angry.

Staff Sgt. Frank Wuterich, Sgt. Sanick Dela Cruz, Lance Cpl. Justin Sharratt and Lance Cpl. Stephen Tatum will not face a death sentence because they are charged with unpremeditated murder, for which the maximum penalty is life in prison.

It was midnight in Iraq when the U.S. military announced it had charged the four Marines with murder and four others with dereliction of duty in the November 2005 killing in Haditha, in the restive province of Anbar northwest of Baghdad.

Iraqi witnesses say enraged Marines shot the civilians in their homes to retaliate for the death of a popular comrade who was ripped in half by a bomb that hit a convoy in the town.

Defense lawyers dispute the Iraqi witnesses' version of events and say the Marines were engaged in a furious battle in Haditha after the bomb exploded and the civilians may have been killed during the chaos.

Many in Haditha, a town of over 100,000 people on the Euphrates river, stayed up to watch coverage on Arabic satellite channel Al Jazeera. On Friday, the trial was the talk of the town and many were glued to the screen watching special coverage. They had little confidence in U.S. justice.

Talal Saed, a judge who watched the news at Salman's home, said: "If I were the judge on that trial I would have sentenced them to death for the terrible crime they have committed. They should be tried in Iraq and under the Iraqi law."

"This is a show trial just to show that the Americans are doing something to be fair with Iraqis but it's nothing more than that," he said.

TOWN UNDER SIEGE

Iraqi Prime Minister Nuri al-Maliki has called the killings a "terrible crime." Along with widely publicized abuses of Iraqi prisoners at Abu Ghraib prison, they have contributed to tarnishing U.S. prestige and drawn international condemnation.

Anger at U.S. forces has grown since tight security measures were imposed three weeks ago following a helicopter crash.

The U.S. military said the tightened security and a dirt wall recently built around the city were not meant to affect "innocent people's way of life" but to control movement and supply lines of insurgents.

Shopkeeper Mohammed Ali said there had been food shortages for three weeks until two days ago, when U.S. troops allowed some goods to enter the town.

"The Americans drive around in their cars and tell us on loudspeakers that we should hand over the gunmen or the siege will continue, but where are we going to get the gunmen from? We don't know them," Ali said.

Saber Mohammed, head teacher at a school, said the situation was difficult. "There is no school, the Americans have cut Haditha off from the rest of its neighborhood so most of the time the students can't come to school," he said.

"How long is this situation going to continue? If gunmen attack U.S. troops why is it the innocent who pay the price?"

(Additional reporting by Dan Whitcomb at Camp Pendleton)

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20061222/ts_nm/iraq_haditha_scene_dc_4&printer=1

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: I wonder why they dont trust US- HMMM
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2006, 11:00:33 PM »
"How long is this situation going to continue? If gunmen attack U.S. troops why is it the innocent who pay the price?"

[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]

What a bunch of hypocrytes!

Under Iriqui justice people who are good at killing innocents gain rank.

Because that is what the gunmen have in mind when they attack , the innocents are the gamepeices .

Do these guys expect Americans to just adsorb the bombs and bullets and not reply at all ?

If they have gunmen in the basement they are not innocent , they are playing the game.

If they are not satisfied with Americans drawing long prison sentences for war crimes ,can they be satisfied with Al Queda and Insurgent organisations justice which has no disapline against killing innocents at all?

Mucho

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2006, 01:53:39 AM »

[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]

What a bunch of hypocrytes!

Under Iriqui justice people who are good at killing innocents gain rank.

Because that is what the gunmen have in mind when they attack , the innocents are the gamepeices .

Do these guys expect Americans to just adsorb the bombs and bullets and not reply at all ?

If they have gunmen in the basement they are not innocent , they are playing the game.

If they are not satisfied with Americans drawing long prison sentences for war crimes ,can they be satisfied with Al Queda and Insurgent organisations justice which has no disapline against killing innocents at all?

I guess they dont care by which they are killed. They probly would just  prefer not to be killed. Go figure.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2006, 01:55:32 AM »
I guess they dont care by which they are killed. They probly would just  prefer not to be killed. Go figure.

Perhaps they shouldn't provide shelter to the killers. Go figure.

Mucho

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2006, 02:15:39 AM »

Perhaps they shouldn't provide shelter to the killers. Go figure.

You musta been there, huh, BT. If that were the case it is unlikely that his fellow jarheads would have pressed charges no matter how picayune those charges are.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2006, 02:36:07 AM »
No i wasn't there and i wasn't commenting on the marines charged in haditha. If found guilty they should be punished to teh fullest extent of the law.

Mucho

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2006, 02:49:32 AM »
No i wasn't there and i wasn't commenting on the marines charged in haditha. If found guilty they should be punished to teh fullest extent of the law.

Thanx for the clarification . It is hard to believe we might agree on this one thing.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2006, 10:38:13 AM »
The Iraqis naturally think that the Marines should be executed. I am betting that if the Marines' families were killed by some bunch of armed and dangerous Middle Easterners in the streets of, say, Bakersfield, CA, they and a majority of Americans would think exactly the same thing.

But no one is likely to be executed for this, no matter how cruel and gory the details. I can agree with this in principle: the Marines were sent to Iraq for the purpose of wreaking bloody mayhem of uncooperative Arabs, and that is what they did. Had they been in the US, the odds are perhaps the most crime they would have committed was perhaps a domestic disturbance or two and maybe a bar fight, probably nothing more, perhaps nothing at all. They were sent to Iraq to threaten and shoot at Iraqis who refused to be threatened.

Naturally, Rumsfeld, Wolfowitz, Cheney and the rest of the NeoCon crew who sent the Marines to Iraq cannot and will not be charged.
They will be given stiff sentences, to send a message to other Marines. Thden after maybe two years of the next administration, they will be released on good behavior, perhaps pardoned silently, quietly, on page 26, where you might read about John Dupont.

"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Mucho

« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2006, 11:19:19 AM »
The Iraqis naturally think that the Marines should be executed. I am betting that if the Marines' families were killed by some bunch of armed and dangerous Middle Easterners in the streets of, say, Bakersfield, CA, they and a majority of Americans would think exactly the same thing.

But no one is likely to be executed for this, no matter how cruel and gory the details. I can agree with this in principle: the Marines were sent to Iraq for the purpose of wreaking bloody mayhem of uncooperative Arabs, and that is what they did. Had they been in the US, the odds are perhaps the most crime they would have committed was perhaps a domestic disturbance or two and maybe a bar fight, probably nothing more, perhaps nothing at all. They were sent to Iraq to threaten and shoot at Iraqis who refused to be threatened.

Naturally, Rumsfeld, Wolfowitz, Cheney and the rest of the NeoCon crew who sent the Marines to Iraq cannot and will not be charged.
They will be given stiff sentences, to send a message to other Marines. Thden after maybe two years of the next administration, they will be released on good behavior, perhaps pardoned silently, quietly, on page 26, where you might read about John Dupont.

You are sadly correct that the real culprits will never get punished, but these peons deserve their special place in Hell for enjoying it so much.