Author Topic: Herman Cain inches closer to presidential run  (Read 2559 times)

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Herman Cain inches closer to presidential run
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2011, 03:48:19 PM »
He would have simply been a different-appearing person, one that kluxers would not automatically loathe.

I do not see why Edward's fooling around would necessarily disqualify him from being an effective leader in a country less prudish than this one, by the way. I agree that Edwards was bright enough to understand the situation, but to write him off as totally incompetent is also not valid.

What is scary about Edwards is not incompetance, he had the political game down pat.

Depth of caricter he didn't have. He was like the anti -Reagan.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2011, 03:54:22 PM »
Reagan apparently diddled dozens of women while married to Jane Wyman, but she was discreet, as were the diddlees. That is what the scuttlebutt in Hollywood was. Then he met Nancy, whose father was a richer than God doctor, and suddenly he became the epitome of pulchritude.

Reagan wrote two bios, rather ghostwrote two biographies, and mentioned his first wife exactly once.

I disagree with the concept that every man who fools around has no character. I am pretty sure than no one every caught Edwards passing bad checks, or other financial scams.

"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2011, 03:57:57 PM »
I even like Benjimin Franklin , being sexually experienced is not what I ment , also not what I said.

Edwards was a shallow caricter, do you have an anecdote or evidence to the contrary?

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2011, 04:05:57 PM »
Franklin was a major libertine. He put Edwards to shame. This does not detract from his many positive attributes. Without Franklin's PR in France, this would not be the United States. There would have been no United States. Cornwallis surrendered because of the French naval blockade at Yorktown. Do not forget that. American patriots would have been hanged were it not for the French. We would be part of Canada, more than likely, or Canada would be part of us.

I see no evidence that Edwards was a man of poor character, other than his tendency to fool around.

I would not have voted for him in the primary had I known about his fooling around, but simply because I would have decided that he would have no chance of being elected, not his moral character.

The Great God Horn does not a have the same effect on all men. As Mark Twain pointed out, sexual drive is a result of being young, but it is the old geezers who can't have any sort of sex other than fantasies, that wrote the rules condeming it.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2011, 05:30:43 PM »
I am not satisfied with assumeing he has depth of caricter untill otherwise proven.

For my vote I want to know somehow that something there behind the facade.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2011, 07:20:21 PM »
Edwards had rather a lot to say of value. I do not think that he was hypocritical. He was of course, not discrete in his fooling around.

In an exaggeratedly Baptist place like South Carolina, hypocrisy is to be avoided because it is sort of the favorite sport. Edwards should have known this.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2011, 07:33:33 PM »
I see no evidence that Edwards was a man of poor character, other than his tendency to fool around.....

....while married, having extramarital affairs, having children with them, trying to cover it up, etc., etc.   Which is pretty much the epitome of someone of poor character.  But cudos on trying to minimize it with a simple "tendency" to "fool around".

Given those standards, Tiger Woods is a major stand-up guy.  He never had any kids with any of his "fooling around"

"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2011, 07:38:03 PM »
Edwards had rather a lot to say of value.

That is precicely what he wasn't doing.

He was trying to appeal to the lessor americans that he couldn't be caught talking to.

Remember his building a huge manse on the hill above a trailer park?

Everything he thought about the needy Americans was an assumption.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2011, 10:32:09 AM »
Which is pretty much the epitome of someone of poor character.

No, someone of truly poor character has children in extramarital affairs and ignores them completely.

And again, libertine behavior and other types of public morality are really unrelated.

I am reminded of Mitterand, the French PM. When he died, his wife and his mistress were both at the funeral. And this did not bother the French.

I also note at this point that there is not enough about Herman Cain to even sustain a conversation on this forum. He's not getting any nomination. He should just design a new pizza, work on developing better-tasting anchovies or something like that. Republicans are not giving the nomination to a loud Black guy who has never been elected to anything. Even Rush or Beck would have a better chance.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2011, 01:31:53 PM »
Which is pretty much the epitome of someone of poor character.

No, someone of truly poor character has children in extramarital affairs and ignores them completely.

LOL......so we now have levels of poor, truly poor.  Let's see, does Edwards fall into "very poor"?  How about "extremely poor".  Ahh, I know, ludicrous poor, like in the movie Space Balls

"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2011, 05:11:26 PM »
Reagan apparently diddled dozens of women while married to Jane Wyman, but she was discreet, as were the diddlees.

Hard to beleive this would get past the dragnet of factoid reporters who constantly search for such stuff.

Herman Cain built a business, survived a cancer and hosted a talk show on the radio , his opinions are well documented and widely known. His walk matches his talk, why wouldn't Republicans like him?

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2011, 06:36:14 PM »
I did not say they would not like him. They probably love his sorry pizza-peddling ass. But since the have never run anyone for president in recent memory that has zero political experience, they are quite unlikely to run him.

Just watch and see. If he invests in a campaign, he will p!ss away his money and not get any nomination. Would YOU donate to his candidacy? Why? a government with extra mozzarella in its crust? A Supreme Court with four toppings?

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2011, 07:47:32 PM »
2004 U.S. Senate candidacy

In 2004, Cain ran for the U.S. Senate in Georgia, pursuing the seat which came open with the retirement of Democrat Zell Miller. Cain sought the Republican nomination, facing Congressmen Johnny Isakson and Mac Collins in the primary. Cain and Collins both hoped to deny Isakson a majority on primary day in order to force him into a runoff.[citation needed] Collins tried to paint Cain as a moderate,[7] citing Cain's support for affirmative action programs, while Cain argued that he was a true conservative, noting that he opposed the legality of abortion even in cases of rape and incest.[8] Cain finished second in the primary with 26.2% of the vote, ahead of Collins who won 20.6%, but because Isakson was able to win 53.2% of the vote, Isakson was able to avoid a runoff against Cain.[9]

Collins was a 5 term congressman and Cain outpolled him.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herman_Cain#2004_U.S._Senate_candidacy

Kramer

• Repeal ObamaCare
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2011, 08:56:22 PM »
Reagan apparently diddled dozens of women while married to Jane Wyman, but she was discreet, as were the diddlees. That is what the scuttlebutt in Hollywood was. Then he met Nancy, whose father was a richer than God doctor, and suddenly he became the epitome of pulchritude.

Reagan wrote two bios, rather ghostwrote two biographies, and mentioned his first wife exactly once.

I disagree with the concept that every man who fools around has no character. I am pretty sure than no one every caught Edwards passing bad checks, or other financial scams.

Running for POTUS takes lots of money and usually from outside sources. So I'm more than certain that the people that loaned Edwards money might consider his actions to be character issues.

A federal criminal investigation targeting John Edwards is examining how much the two-time presidential candidate knew about money used to cover up his extramarital affair and out-of-wedlock child and whether he had other practices that pushed the bounds of campaign finance laws, people involved in the case have told The Associated Press.

A federal grand jury meeting in Raleigh, N.C., is combing through records and testimony involving several political organizations and individuals connected to Edwards and trying to determine if the former North Carolina senator and 2004 vice presidential nominee broke any laws. A recently issued subpoena focuses on a web of these political groups allied with Edwards, according to subpoena details provided to AP that offer a glimpse into the investigation being conducted behind closed doors.

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/news/national/grand_jury_probes_what_john_edwards_GzEqVeGjazmjkvISNjUB5H#ixzz1BLNMSV5r

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: January 17, 2011, 11:28:56 PM »
Edwards is now totally irrelevant as a candidate for anything. That is unfortunate, but that is how it works.

Cain won't ever be a nominee for president, nor is he likely to come close.