• Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
WTF?
« on: January 27, 2011, 02:26:44 PM »
Someone in the administration didn't consider all the angles with this slogan
-------------------------------------

President Obama's new slogan is "Winning the Future."
To Sarah Palin, it's "WTF."

Palin used the acronym at least three times last night in discussing Obama's State of the Union speech on Fox News. WTF is also a phone text-driven phrase used to avoid spelling out the f word; it stands for "what the (blank)."

"There were a lot of WTF moments through that speech," the 2008 Republican vice presidential candidate told Fox's Greta Van Susteren.

Palin used the phrase in reference to Obama's discussion of the federal debt, and his claim that the U.S. faces a "Sputnik moment" when it comes to technology and innovation challenges from other countries.

Obama used variations of "Winning the Future" several times throughout his speech. At one point, he said: "If we want to win the future -- if we want innovation to produce jobs in America and not overseas -- then we also have to win the race to educate our kids."

The president, by the way, isn't the first politician to use the phrase "Winning the Future."

Palin's fellow Republican Newt Gingrich entitled one of his books Winning The Future: A 21st Century Contract With America.

Palin also said that rather that Sputnik, the nation should declare "a spudnut moment," referring to the name of a Washington state coffee shop: "A family-owned business not looking for government to bail them out and to make their decisions for them. It's just hard-working, patriotic Americans in this shop."

Here are some of Palin's WTF comments:

His theme last night in the State of the Union was the "WTF," you know, "Winning the Future." And I thought, "OK, that acronym, spot on." There were a lot of "WTF" moments throughout that speech, namely, when he made the statement, Greta, that he believed that we can't allow ourselves to, I guess, eventually become buried under a mountain of debt. That right there tells you he is so disconnected from reality! The problem is, we are buried under a mountain of debt, and jobs cannot be created by the private sector. We cannot grow and thrive and prosper as a nation when we are buried under this $14 trillion debt.

And, later:

That was another one of those WTF moments, when he so often repeated this Sputnik moment that he would aspire Americans to celebrate. And he needs to remember that what happened back then with the former communist USSR and their victory in that race to space, yes, they won, but they also incurred so much debt at the time that it resulted in the inevitable collapse of the Soviet Union.

So I listened to that Sputnik moment talk over and over again, and I think, No, we don't need one of those. You know what we need is a "spudnut" moment. And here's where I'm going with this, Greta. And you're a good one because you're one of those reporters who actually gets out there in the communities, find these hard-working people and find solutions to the problems that Americans face.

Well, the spudnut shop in Richland, Washington -- it's a bakery, it's a little coffee shop that's so successful, 60-some years, generation to generation, a family-owned business not looking for government to bail them out and to make their decisions for them. It's just hard-working, patriotic Americans in this shop

WTF?
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
Re: WTF?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2011, 02:46:34 PM »
The problem is, we are buried under a mountain of debt, and jobs cannot be created by the private sector. We cannot grow and thrive and prosper as a nation when we are buried under this $14 trillion debt.

Why not?

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2011, 03:58:11 PM »
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2011, 05:20:00 PM »
No answer is your answer?

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2011, 06:06:38 PM »
Apparently, since I'm just following the link I provided
« Last Edit: January 27, 2011, 07:36:22 PM by sirs »

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2011, 08:35:33 PM »
oh. ok

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2011, 08:41:25 PM »
I guess I'll just keep patiently waiting.....I guess

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2011, 08:47:53 PM »
Reminds me of "Waiting for Godot". Are you familiar with the work?

Nevermind.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2011, 01:16:59 AM »
Ummmm, ok.  I'll just keep waiting patiently I suppose.  Just giving you the benefit of the doubt......at least until that's gone

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2011, 01:42:56 AM »
Waiting patiently is fine, if that is where your comfort zone is.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2011, 02:19:28 AM »
I kinda don't have a choice.  It's my question that remains unanswered

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2011, 02:38:55 AM »
Quite the dilemma.

Please ask the precise and specific question again. Perhaps you will get an answer.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2011, 03:12:17 AM »

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2011, 03:47:31 AM »
Apparently you don't follow instructions well.

Please ask the precise and specific question again. Perhaps you will get an answer.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked: