Author Topic: NEW DebateGate coming  (Read 10962 times)

Christians4LessGvt

• View Profile
    • "The Religion Of Peace"
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: NEW DebateGate coming
« Reply #60 on: February 18, 2011, 09:43:37 PM »
Knutegross
"Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!" - Ronald Reagan - June 12, 1987

Christians4LessGvt

• View Profile
    • "The Religion Of Peace"
  • Liked:
« Reply #61 on: February 18, 2011, 09:46:17 PM »
Does Yahoo Chat exist anymore?
I tried to find it...I have a Yahoo account....I could not find it
"Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!" - Ronald Reagan - June 12, 1987

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #62 on: February 19, 2011, 02:43:19 AM »
Gannymeade and JK

Henny....look at the link below for a trip down memory lane.
I must really be getting old...because I see something i posted
and I don't even really remember being a member of that forum!

http://www.post41.com/members/history.htm

That was good to see.

Spin Cycle was my favoriate.

R.R.

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #63 on: February 19, 2011, 02:04:20 PM »
Yeah he was a scary dude. Was that you?

NO! He was real. I hate to see what (or who) was driving around in his trunk.

He wasn't around very long because nobody ever responded to him. They were too scared.

R.R.

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #64 on: March 02, 2011, 11:32:41 PM »
What good 80's movie didn't have this song in it? Brass should have used it in his movie because it had no music.

Katrina And The Waves - Walking On Sunshine 25

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #65 on: March 03, 2011, 11:02:31 AM »
What good 80's movie didn't have this song in it?

Top Gun
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

R.R.

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #66 on: March 03, 2011, 11:57:28 PM »
Geeks in the Pre-Geek World

Today geeks have practically become mainstream and nearly everyone is familiar with some of the different varieties - computer geeks, anime geeks, film geeks, video game geeks, etc.

But before the internet, before computers, before D&D and Star Trek did these types still exist? And what uncool things were they into back in the day?

Well Gilligan at Retrospace has a nice retrospective on the origins and early history of geeks and nerds here.

First a bit of terminology:

Nerds are simply intelligent, industrious individuals who lack some social skills. Geeks, according to the modern definition, are those with a high level of interest and enthusiasm for a certain subject, whether it be baseball or horror movies. ?Nerd? has become much more pejorative than ?geek? because it carries a negative connotation on your place in society; whereas, there is now ?geek chic?.

A lot of what we refer to today as geekery would really fall under traditional nerdism. Classic geeks were a rarer, more elusive breed in the past before they were able to discover each other over long distances or evangelize. Neither were particularly athletic or familiar with the touch of a woman.

And what were the nerds into back then? Well I'm going to guess that it was mostly ham radio, rockets, and science fiction.

And lest you snicker - just remember that it's thanks to them and their nerdly efforts that kids today can finally watch pr0n from around the world at home on their computing machines x-boxes. The dream - achieved at last!

R.R.

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #67 on: March 04, 2011, 12:01:57 AM »
Europe's Gun Culture

Here George Handlery talks about how the Swiss view firearms and gun ownership in general. And points out that it's not all that far from the American view.

Universal military service in a small standing army backed up by reserves relying on all males is a national tradition here. Serving, being armed and citizenship are, to many, related concepts. By tradition, reservists, obliged to serve periodically to maintain their skills, take their weapons home. That made me the delighted guardian of my son?s assault rifle ?an excellent product. After the service, at around 45, the weapon can be kept if one participates in the ?obligatory? yearly shooting practice. A combination of these factors means that every village has a gun and pistol club and a shooting range. Target shooting is a national past time.

Plus his descriptions of a new in the wrapping K-31 makes me wish I had sprung for one a few years ago. But then I would have had just one more oddball caliber to deal with.

R.R.

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #68 on: March 04, 2011, 12:04:43 AM »
How Come The Kids Don't Talk So Good?

So why do kids these days always use vague terms and stuff and like, put in so many you know filler words and like uptalk too? Well Clark Whelton says he knows exactly when this happened:

Everything went so well that I hired interns at every opportunity.

Then came 1985.

The first applicant was a young man from NYU. During the interview, he spiked his replies so heavily with ?like? that I mentioned his frequent use of the word. He seemed confused by my comment and replied, ?Well . . . like . . . yeah.? Now, nobody likes a grammar prig. All?s fair in love and language, and the American lingo is in constant motion. ?You should,? for example, has been replaced by ?you need to.? ?No? has faded into ?not really.? ?I said? is now ?I went.? As for ?you?re welcome,? that?s long since become ?no problem.? Even nasal passages are affected by fashion. Quack-talking, the rasping tones preferred by many young women today, used to be considered a misfortune.

Well language does like change and stuff. I notice this kind of talking mostly among the teenaged members of my extended family. Part of it is just a teen language style but there's also an element of being deliberately vague and non-declarative so that you can never really be called on anything. Towards adults this style becomes a form of verbal passive-aggressiveness. So everything is kinda like tentative. And stuff.

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #69 on: March 04, 2011, 11:01:11 AM »

Where did you find that picture of me? :-D
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

R.R.

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #70 on: March 06, 2011, 06:53:34 PM »
Geez, I thought that was a younger pic of Harry Caray.

Cubs win!

You had a sweet computer setup anyway.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #71 on: March 07, 2011, 01:12:36 AM »

Plus his descriptions of a new in the wrapping K-31 makes me wish I had sprung for one a few years ago. But then I would have had just one more oddball caliber to deal with.

I bought one of those a few years ago for $100  it turned out to be a lot of fun to shoot with a few odd features. The trigger pull is very long , the bolt pulls straight back like a Karg, and putting a scope on it is difficult. Also the bullets are Bredan primed so relaoding is very very difficult.

Not as hard to find bullets as you would think.

I sold it again and made money but I would buy another one if at a low price.