Author Topic: How do you fear something currently not possible?  (Read 23372 times)

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
Re: How do you fear something currently not possible?
« Reply #30 on: February 10, 2011, 01:14:46 PM »
Which has very much to do with the Obama proposal...more taxes being placed on the one area that doesn't need any more taxes, IF we're to start turning the economy around and bring down the unemployment #'s, that those same businesses & employers will be shouldered with.  That IS the here and now

So you haven't read any of the follow up information concerning the Obama proposal. Figures.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #31 on: February 10, 2011, 01:27:33 PM »
ahhh, so the follow-up is that he recinded the proposal for broader unemployment taxes?  I hadn't seen it on Drudge yet, but good to hear
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: February 10, 2011, 01:45:45 PM »
on smoking, I was talking about outdoor smoking which exposure is extremely limited compared to smoked trapped indoors, so I`m pretty sure my statement is still valid.

about meat. the majority of people who lived passed 100 years has meat in there diet. but the primary key that ties thier longevity is moderation. so excessive meat eating is bad but afew mcnuggets will help you protien levels. true lack of claws mean we started out not eating meat. but the introduction to it has vastly improve our quality of life. other animals had similiar result. the chimp who eats the most meat will tends to be leader.

but I maybe biased since last week I binged KFC 5 pieces in 5min. and I feel much better from the experience.

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: February 10, 2011, 02:04:00 PM »
true lack of claws mean we started out not eating meat. but the introduction to it has vastly improve our quality of life. other animals had similiar result. the chimp who eats the most meat will tends to be leader.

Lack of claws does not mean we did not start out as meat eaters. To the contrary, the presence of canine teeth indicates that we did eat meat.

Humans are scavengers, not hunters - we started out eating food that could be easily foraged and leftovers from other hunters. We only became hunters when we could make our own artificial "claws".
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: February 10, 2011, 02:08:18 PM »
but I maybe biased since last week I binged KFC 5 pieces in 5min. and I feel much better from the experience.

Hahahahahahahahaahahaha!

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: February 10, 2011, 02:24:21 PM »
often I `ve cut meat (just being cheap)from my diet and that`s also the time people should not trip and fall in front of me , I never had that irrational adversion to cannibalism.

Christians4LessGvt

• View Profile
    • "The Religion Of Peace"
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: February 10, 2011, 03:16:37 PM »
Kimba this is an interesting read.....

Are human beings anatomically more similar to
natural carnivores or to natural herbivores?

Lets find out:

Intestinal tract length. Carnivorous animals have intestinal tracts that are
3-6x their body length, while herbivores have intestinal tracts 10-12x their body
length. Human beings have the same intestinal tract ratio as herbivores.

Stomach acidity. Carnivores' stomachs are 20x more acidic than the stomachs
of herbivores. Human stomach acidity matches that of herbivores.

Saliva. The saliva of carnivores is acidic. The saliva of herbivores is alkaline,
which helps pre-digest plant foods. Human saliva is alkaline.

Shape of intestines. Carnivore bowels are smooth, shaped like a pipe, so
meat passes through quickly, they don't have bumps or pockets. Herbivore
bowels are bumpy and pouch-like with lots of pockets, like a windy mountain road,
so plant foods pass through slowly for optimal nutrient absorption. Human bowels
have the same characteristics as those of herbivores.

Fiber. Carnivores don't require fiber to help move food through their short
and smooth digestive tracts. Herbivores require dietary fiber to move food through
their long and bumpy digestive tracts, to prevent the bowels from becoming clogged
with rotting food. Humans have the same requirement as herbivores.

Cholesterol. Cholesterol is not a problem for a carnivore's digestive system.
A carnivore such as a cat can handle a high-cholesterol diet without negative health
consequences. A human cannot. Humans have zero dietary need for cholesterol because
our bodies manufacture all we need. Cholesterol is only found in animal foods, almost
never in plant foods. A plant-based diet is by definition cholesterol-free.

Claws and teeth. Carnivores have claws, sharp front teeth capable of subduing prey,
and no flat molars for chewing. Herbivores have no claws or sharp front teeth capable of
subduing prey, but they have flat molars for chewing. Humans have the same characteristics
as herbivores.

But aren't humans anatomically suited to be omnivores?

Nope. We don't anatomically match up with omnivorous animals anymore than we do
with carnivorous ones. Omnivores are more similar to carnivores than they are to herbivores.
For a more detailed summary table that compares the properties of carnivores, herbivores,
and omnivores side by side, see this page: Comparative Anatomy & Taxonomy

http://www.tierversuchsgegner.org/wiki/index.php?title=Taxonomy

The link above also debunks the opportunistic feeder theory, which states that because
humans can eat like omnivores, that we must therefore be omnivores. And this is of course
false because mere behavior doesn't indicate suitability. There are plenty of things we can
do as a species that would threaten our survival if we all considered them suitable default
behavior, such as shooting each other, lobbing hand grenades, or sending spam.

"Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!" - Ronald Reagan - June 12, 1987

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: February 10, 2011, 03:44:50 PM »
One can't help but be intrigued with some of the tangents a thread may take      8)
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: February 10, 2011, 05:14:55 PM »
Intestinal tract length. Carnivorous animals have intestinal tracts that are
3-6x their body length, while herbivores have intestinal tracts 10-12x their body
length. Human beings have the same intestinal tract ratio as herbivores.

Wrong. Human intestinal tracts are roughly 5-8m long, while a typical human has a length of 1.7-2m, so our intestinal tract is more in line with carnivores.

Stomach acidity. Carnivores' stomachs are 20x more acidic than the stomachs
of herbivores. Human stomach acidity matches that of herbivores.

Wrong. Humans have a stomach acidity of around pH 1-2 (very acidic). Herbivores have nearly neutral (or in some cases slightly basic) pH of 6.8-8 (7 is absolutely neutral).

Saliva. The saliva of carnivores is acidic. The saliva of herbivores is alkaline,
which helps pre-digest plant foods. Human saliva is alkaline.

Wrong. Humans have saliva with a pH between 6-7.4 (slightly acidic to slightly basic, changing depending on what we're eating). Herbivores have saliva that is always basic, while carnivores have saliva that is always acidic. Our saliva, like other omnivores, varies based on what we're eating. Also, herbivore saliva is basic, not to help pre-digest plants, but to help keep their stomach environment more neutral. Herbivores rely on bacteria to help with their digestion, and if the environment gets too acidic it will kill the bacteria.

I don't feel like debunking the rest - it's all wrong, just like those that I've pointed out already.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2011, 05:22:00 PM by Amianthus »
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

Christians4LessGvt

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: February 10, 2011, 06:23:39 PM »
science is full of disagreement
personally i think humans are clearly built to be closer to the herbivore category

How many carnivores/omnivores on the planet have to cook their
food (meat) before they eat it? How many would get sick and die
if they do not? It seems that carnivores & omnivores are designed
so that meat does not make them sick and die, unfortunately for
us it has the opposite effect.

« Last Edit: February 10, 2011, 10:04:02 PM by Christians4LessGvt »

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #40 on: February 10, 2011, 06:37:01 PM »
I`m going by my observation that not many vegetarians (if any) live past 90.

My data is from asking vegetarians themselve and none so far has known any to live that long, but thier are many documented data people who live past a hundred and all eat meat to some degree.

I`m not saying meat causes long life, but i am saying alittle bit of it will definately not hurt .

but I thought some carnivore eat grass sometimes for the fibers?

I see cats do it

actually not all vegetables are safe for humans to eat
« Last Edit: February 10, 2011, 06:45:36 PM by kimba1 »

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #41 on: February 10, 2011, 06:57:12 PM »
maybe cooking food in general is the cause in a longer lifespan. it kills any parasite/bacteria that may harm us.

I`m willing to bet in a few years this organic food trend may shorten people live since alot of these folk tend to not wash thier foods and eat them raw.

Christians4LessGvt

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #42 on: February 10, 2011, 09:48:57 PM »
kimba.......oh I agree....meat in moderation is fine
the problem is....most Americans have way to much meat in their diet
myself included
Americans in general are not eating enough vegetables
in my mind our diets are skewed on meat vs veggies
to me our bodies are screaming at us (via health problems) that we are not designed to eat this much meat

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #43 on: February 10, 2011, 10:15:04 PM »
How many carnivores/omnivores on the planet have to cook their  food (meat) before they eat it? How many would get sick and die if they do not? It seems that carnivores & omnivores are designed so that meat does not make them sick and die, unfortunately for us it has the opposite effect.

Another very wrong claim.

I eat eat meat raw all the time. Seafood, too. I've never gotten sick from eating raw meat. I *prefer* the taste of raw or rare meats, there are few dishes that I eat where the meat is cooked more than medium rare.

I've had all of these, and many more, plus I'm a big fan of nigiri sushi, sashimi, and raw bars.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steak_tartare
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hackepeter
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carpaccio
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kibbeh_nayyeh
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yukhoe

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #44 on: February 10, 2011, 11:55:53 PM »
Someone says that humans are not herbivores.
Someone says that humans are not carnivores.
Someone says that we are not omnivores, either.
I reject the idea that we are not all of these things. We do not eat dirt and stones, after all.

About 4-6 oz. of meat per day seems to be about right to me. I crave meat if II do not eat some sort of meat, fish or eggs for several days. If I eat a lot more than this, I get sleepy.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."