Author Topic: Collective Bargaining  (Read 12014 times)

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Collective Bargaining
« Reply #105 on: February 25, 2011, 05:25:54 PM »
This is really quite enlightening.  When it was Obamacare, even though Republicans knew they couldn't defeat it, they voted against it.....in mass.  and although it should have stalled in the Senate, a nice slight of hand, got it passed regardless the country's uproar.  The Republicans then took that proud vote to the people, and won some stunning nationwide elections in Nov.

Now, we have Democrats who are RUNNING from voting.  The one thing that they were hired to do, to VOTE up/down legislation, they're running from.  Why can the GOP face up and vote against something that was going to pass, and come out smelling like roses, but not a wimp of MSM protest as Dems run from a vote that, if they truely were against, they'd vote it down, and if it passed, proudly take that to the people.  If it's so bad, they would take majority status next election, right?  They could then repeal the "horrible legislation", right?

Someone please explain this disconnect to me

"I didn't like cap and trade, I didn't like Obamacare, I didn't like the stimulus...but I didn't walk out."....... Wis Representative Paul Ryan Calls Out Fleebaggers
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #106 on: February 26, 2011, 01:51:33 PM »
The Tax payer is tapped out

Here's a lesson that is both ironic and sad at the same time. According to the U.S. Department of Education, two-thirds of the eighth graders in Wisconsin cannot read proficiently. But assuming the kids are skilled enough to watch TV, they can now see their teachers demonstrating to keep their generous union benefits. So while things do not seem to be going well in the classroom, any thought of holding teachers somewhat responsible is cause for a protest march.

As a former high-school teacher, it pains me to criticize those trying to educate American children. You will never become rich doing that, and the job can be maddening. Today, many children are the victims of a permissive society that often refuses to hold kids responsible for their actions. Cowardly parents make excuses for the failures of their kids, rather than finding a solution to their poor academic performance. Instead of preparing their children for rigorous academic challenges, derelict parents sit it out.

But teachers are supposed to overcome apathetic parenting and at least give the kids a fighting chance to succeed. That is a challenge that's supposed to be met.

As I've written before, in my eighth-grade class at St. Brigid's School on Long Island, there were 60 students and one nun in the classroom. We all could read proficiently, and believe me, some of the parents were not exactly Ozzie and Harriet, if you understand what I'm saying. The nun brooked no nonsense. She forced us to learn.

But that was then.

In 10 years, starting in 1998, Wisconsin doubled the amount of money spent on each public-school student to more than $10,000 per pupil per year. And test scores went down! Doing the math, the equation seems to be that money is not the key to knowledge.

Discipline is.

The teachers in Wisconsin should be compensated to the best of the state's ability. But the educational gravy train is off the tracks. There's no more money. The taxpayer is tapped out.

In the future, if you want to teach kids you'll have to accept less to do it. That may not be fair, but it's the lesson Wisconsin is teaching us. The writing is very clear on the blackboard: No more public money is on the way.

I left teaching because I understood the limitations of the job. I knew at a young age that my income would be restricted and my life would be fairly predictable.

Selfishly, I wanted more.

But I respect immensely those who devote their lives to teaching. I want them to have as much as the market will bear.

Sadly, that point has now been reached
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #107 on: February 26, 2011, 03:25:58 PM »
HOW

That is the main issue....the HOW the unions became so predominant in shaping legislation.  And HOW now that legislation has been leading states to economic ruin.  It's one thing to lobby for perks, most every "group" has their lobbiests, to get their little piece of the pie.  But these Unions & their leadership, using Plane's dues, regardless of his support or not, literally bankroll politicians.....The issue is HOW the unions came about with these deals, and the repercussions placed on the state and the tax payer, as a result

An unholy alliance of Democrats and unions

Because of the essential services that ?public? employee?s provide, and the fact that there is often no alternative or competition to take their place, public employees should never have been allowed to unionize or strike. It?s an unholy alliance when the unions can use their money and manpower to elect Democrats who will continue to support salaries and benefits beyond what is reasonable and sustainable.

We have a lot of serious problems in this country and the debates on how to fix them rage on. Many ?fixes? are now necessarily drastic and/or difficult to implement. One of the easiest and best solutions to the many problems we have as a nation could be implemented by one simple action; stop electing Democrats.

As President Barack Obama once said; ?elections have consequences?, and it?s time that his administration stops siding with the forces against the taxpayers. He and his U.S. Attorney General, Eric Holder, have joined suit with Mexico against our own Arizona state citizens. He?s sent his former campaign operatives and DNC goons into Wisconsin to fight against the newly elected Republican Governors? budget plan fixes.

The majority of taxpaying citizens of this country want their voices heard and respected. They do not want things that greatly affect them to be determined by loud well-connected minorities. And they certainly don?t want their own federal government to side with foreign governments and other interests against them.

They?re mad as hell and they?re not going to take it anymore. The only person more angry than a majority voter in Arizona or Wisconsin is Al Sharpton, for allowing Jesse Jackson to beat him to the TV cameras in Madison, Wisconsin.

Op-ed

Christians4LessGvt

• View Profile
    • "The Religion Of Peace"
  • Liked:
« Reply #108 on: February 26, 2011, 05:41:06 PM »
"I didn't like cap and trade, I didn't like Obamacare, I didn't like the stimulus...but I didn't walk out"
Representative Paul Ryan Calls Out Fleebaggers

Fleebaggers?
LOL
Love it!
Great catchy "hit the nail on the head" term!
"Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!" - Ronald Reagan - June 12, 1987

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #109 on: February 26, 2011, 06:01:44 PM »
 8)

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #110 on: February 28, 2011, 01:20:53 AM »
One of the easiest and best solutions to the many problems we have as a nation could be implemented by one simple action; stop electing Democrats.

Eh , no.... this is an attractive idea but it is insufficient.

Once elected Republicans sometimes forget what it was that made them Republicans and think too much about what will keep them in power.

I am sorry that the "contract with America"was only partially implemented and is now considered a dead letter, I still like what I liked about it in the first place.

1.require all laws that apply to the rest of the country also apply to Congress;
2.select a major, independent auditing firm to conduct a comprehensive audit of Congress for waste, fraud or abuse;
3.cut the number of House committees, and cut committee staff by one-third;
4.limit the terms of all committee chairs;
5.ban the casting of proxy votes in committee;
6.require committee meetings to be open to the public;
7.require a three-fifths majority vote to pass a tax increase;
8.guarantee an honest accounting of the Federal Budget by implementing zero base-line budgeting.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Contract_with_America