Author Topic: Now Libya is teetering on the brink..... Qaddafi could be next!  (Read 5736 times)

Christians4LessGvt

• View Profile
    • "The Religion Of Peace"
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Now Libya is teetering on the brink..... Qaddafi could be next!
« on: February 20, 2011, 07:41:44 PM »
Cyrenaica rises up against Qaddafi's Tripolitania regime

DEBKAfile Special Report

February 20, 2011, 11:24 PM

Muammar Qaddafi

Around two million Cyrenaican protesters, half of Libya's population who control half of the country
and part of its oil resources, embarked Sunday, Feb. 20, on a full-scale revolt against Muammar Qaddafi
and his affluent ruling Tripolitanian-dominated regime. Unlike the rights protests sweeping the Middle East
and North Africa, in Libya, one half of the country is rising up against the other half, as well as fighting to
overthrow a dictatorial ruler of 42 years.

Since last week, heavy battles have been fought in Benghazi, Al Bayda, Al Marj, Tobruk and at least two other
two cities. In some places, debkafile's military sources report protesters stormed army bases and seized large
quantities of missiles, mortars, heavy machine guns
and armored vehicles and used them.

The important Fadil Ben Omar Brigade command base in Benghazi was burnt to the ground.

Our sources cite witnesses who spied Berber tribesmen among the insurgents, which bodes ill for Algerian
and Morocco and their large Berber populations.

The reports of massacres and imported mercenaries, especially in Benghazi come mainly from opposition
sources in West Europe and cannot be independently confirmed at this time. Neither could reports from the
same sources Sunday night that Qaddafi's rule had collapsed and the revolt had spread.

At the same time, there is no doubt that Qaddafi will not scruple to use brutal measures in desperation to
save his regime, if he has not already. Hospital sources describe hundreds of dead and injured.

He has meanwhile put Ahmed Gaddaf Al-Dam, his cousin and security chief, in charge of the army's effort
to suppress the uprising in Benghazi. Most of the city appears to have fallen to the protesters, with the
exception of its airport through which the ruler is pumping heavy reinforcements and sending them straight
into battle.

So far, the Libyan Air Force and Navy have not been deployed. Helicopters sent in action to shoot into crowds
are confirmed in only one place, Al Bayda.

Since Saturday afternoon, Qaddafi has not been seen or heard in public. According to some rumors, he
has left Tripoli and made for the Saharan oasis town of Sebha, his tribal birthplace. So far, he has kept up the
flow of military reinforcements to the six rebel cities because the towns of Tripolitania have been relatively quiet.
But if Tripoli and its environs rise up too, he will be short of military strength to deal with trouble spots in both
parts of the country

Some Libyan would-be go-betweens proposed a ceasefire between Qaddafi and the protesters whereby the
government would resign and the popular former prime minister Abdul Salam Jaloud be appointed caretaker
prime minister until the crisis is resolved. But Jaloud declined the offer.

It is too early to determine in advance how the showdown between Qaddafi's army and the protesters-insurgents
of Cyrenaica turns out. Before it is over, Libya's eastern provinces may be called on to sacrifice thousands more
dead and wounded. If the Cyrenaicans do manage to hold on, they will be in a position to carve Libya in two and
break away from Tripolitania and the Qaddafi regime.
"Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!" - Ronald Reagan - June 12, 1987

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
Re: Now Libya is teetering on the brink..... Qaddafi could be next!
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2011, 11:46:04 PM »
I don't think that Quaddify will benefit from resisting his ouster.

This has reached a stage where he will only retain power by useing military power to squash the revolution , I bet he hasn't got it.

Iran is diffrent , the minority in power is much larger and directly connected to a larger military force, there the squashing of resistance might work.

Henny

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2011, 11:47:06 PM »
Qaddafi is not Funny
http://hareega.blogspot.com/2011/02/qaddafi-is-not-funny.html

Muammar Qaddafi is known to be the joke of the Arab world. Just type his name on youtube and you'll get an endless number of some hilarious speeches and remarks he's made in interviews and conferences. He clearly suffers from one or more psychological conditions that seem to be refractory to medical therapy.

That would have been funny to watch if Qaddafi was a celebrity not reluctant to embarrass himself in any possible occasion.

But when it comes to ruling a large and a very oil-rich country inhabited by only 6 million people, it stops being funny. One would expect such a country to have the best schools, colleges, hospitals, roads and energy plans in the world. Instead, Libya remains a third world country in most aspects. It's doing well when you compare it to the rest of Africa, but when you compare it to what it should be, it is centuries behind.

To my surprise I met many Libyans living who live in the United States, and among them I haven't met anyone who admired Al-Qaddafi. What's even worse is the horrifying stories I heard about how he handled any opposition to his regime.

One of these stories was his involvement in the war against Chad. Al-Qaddafi decided to get involved in a civil war in neighboring Chad, and actually did occupy part of this country as if he need more land (Libya is the 17th largest country in the world). One day he told high school students in Libya they were going on a field trip. He sent buses to their schools, gave them guns and sent them to fight in Chad. Thousands of Libyans died and got injured in a brutal war in 1986. Qaddafi claimed a decisive victory in Chad initially, but when he suffered a bad defeat he went on Libyan TV to criticize the "stupid military that decided on its own to get involved in this war". He didn't want Libyans to see those who were wounded with visible injuries such as head injuries or amputations, so he ordered the military to kill those injured. Yes that's right, he ordered the silent execution of those Libyan civilians and soldiers who were forced to fight in an unnecessary war against their will and were severely injured. Instead of an apology or compensation he got them killed. Nobody can argue with him. Nobody can call for change.

There are numerous of stories in Libya that reflect his brutality and make Saddam Hussain look like an angel. Unlike Saddam who established a solid health care system and got his people (men and women) extremely well-educated, Qaddafi tried to keep his people oppressed and incapable of any critical thinking.

During the very short period I worked in Jordan, I was shocked at the number of Libyan patients who traveled to Jordan to get medical care. Libya has the potential to build a Mayo clinic in every little village. Libyan doctors seem only to shine when they the country. Wealthy Libyans would never stay in Libya to get treated for anything or receive education. Leaving the country is the way to secure a future even though their country is so damn rich.

Even though I've never been to Libya, and I don't intentionally follow their news or read books about it, I can easily come up with a list for 1000 reasons why Qaddafi has been a terrible president. Maybe I will when I have more time.

To symbolize the corruption and autocracy the Libyans are subjected to think, think of the beloved son, Al-Saa'idi Al-Qaddafi. He decided to play football, placed himself as the captain of the Libyan national team even though he didn't play for any club at the time. He ordered the players to pass him the ball in every game. When the team was coached by a talented Italian coach (Bersellini), the first thing he did was fire Al-Saadi because "he wasn't a football player". The Libyan Federation fired the coach instead and brought Al-Saadi to the team. Al-Saadi then paid millions of dollars to top-quality Italian clubs just to include him in the squad. They didn't let him play a single minute, and he was eventually asked to leave Italy because he failed a drug test.

This is how Libya is run, violent dictator, family running the country, opposition is crushed (literally), corruption is the rule, and stupidity is king. Qaddafi seems funny when he talks, but nothing about his corruption or violence is funny. It wasn't surprising to learn today that he asked his military to shoot peaceful demonstrators from helicopters. What was surprising to me was to see protests growing in numbers, which gives me another reason to be very proud of those people. His people have had enough, and they're willing to sacrifice their lives for a better future for their kids. It's good to be an Arab these days.

Henny

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2011, 05:40:22 AM »
No More Blood
http://www.kabobfest.com/2011/02/no-more-blood.html

Seif al-Islam Gaddafi, Muammar?s son, appeared on Libya?s state television station late Sunday night and warned of a ?civil war? as protesters gathered in Tripoli?s Green Square. In what the Guardian referred to as a ?rambling speech,? Seif threatened that ?rivers of blood? would run in Libya if the protests against Gaddafi?s despotic regime continued. In typical fashion, Seif insisted that the protests against his father were led by ?drugged? Islamic extremists that are serving their own chaotic agendas. He asserted that Libya was unlike Tunisia and Egypt, and promised that, contrary to some rumors, Gaddafi had not fled the country and was prepared to confront protesters to ?the last man, the last woman, the last bullet.? We have no reason to believe that Seif was making empty threats. Last week?s massacre in Benghazi, which included an attack against a funeral procession, added to a body count that is well over 200. If Gaddafi is indeed preparing for a large-scale, indiscriminate crackdown on protesters demonstrating in Libya?s capital, the question remains: who is going to stop him?

According to Reuters, al-Jazeera experienced interference with its signal over the weekend, and Lebanese communication authorities claimed that the jamming originated in Libya. However, despite Gaddafi?s desperate attempts to keep international attention away from his brutal repression of largely peaceful and secular anti-government protests, AJE continues to cover the events through a live blog, giving protesters a much-needed international audience. At the same time, such a platform may be rendered useless if the international community?s power-brokers remain silent.

While the US State Department issued a ?statement? condemning state-sponsored violence against civilian protesters, Obama has not explicitly taken the side of democracy in Libya by demanding Muammar Gaddafi?s immediate resignation. Italy, a prominent member of the European Union with significant economic and energy interests in Libya, is in an even better position to help protesters realize an end to 42 years of dictatorship and protect them against further violence. For his part, Silvio (as in Italy?s Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi) has yet to contact his Libyan counterpart. According to AJE, Silvio doesn?t want to ?disturb? the despised tyrant. More likely, Silvio is preoccupied with his pending criminal trial, and couldn?t give a damn about Italy?s North African interests, let alone the safety of the average Libyan.

Nevertheless, Libyans have already taken matters into their own hands, demonstrating their readiness to up the ante against Gaddafi if he continues to kill protesters. The leader of the al-Zuwayya tribe threatened to suspend oil exports if more protesters are harmed, and fresh protests across Libya coincide with the massive uprising in the capital.

Christians4LessGvt

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2011, 07:43:29 AM »
He didn't want Libyans to see those who were wounded with visible injuries such
as head injuries or amputations, so he ordered the military to kill those injured.
Yes that's right, he ordered the silent execution of those Libyan civilians and
soldiers who were severely injured.

Good grief and I thought I had heard it all!

Christians4LessGvt

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2011, 07:52:12 AM »
Emergency EU ministerial meeting in Brussels on Libyan crisis:

Italian FM Franco Frattini: "If Muslim emirate rises in Benghazi, Libya...Europe must step in"

Christians4LessGvt

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2011, 09:25:08 AM »
Reports: Gaddafi Has Left Libya, Fled for Venezuela

Update: In a news conference, Saif al-Islam Gaddafi tried to explain away the
protests as a "plot against Libya" and "people on narcotics."  He also stated that Libya
falling would be "one thousand" times worse than Egypt falling.  He also stated that
"tomorrow" Libyans would create the Libya "we all dreamed of."  .
If not, he continued, everyone "will pay."

Update #2:  Iran's Press TV is now reporting that Gaddafi has left Libya according
to their sources.

Update #3:  News.am is now reporting that Gaddafi has fled for Venezuela.

In reports that are as of now unconfirmed, it is being reported that Libyan Dictator
Muammar Gaddafi has left Libya.  This could possibly mark an end to Gaddafi's regime,
which has ruled the country with an iron fist for over four decades.

Protests have reached the capital of Tripoli, while various news sources are reporting
that the government is "faltering."  Even worse for Gaddafi, protesters now hold several
cities; not streets or squares, but entire cities.

The German news site TT.com is now reporting that opposition groups in Libya are
now saying that "Muammar Al-Gaddafi had to leave the country for Brazil or Venezuela." 

Al Jazeera refused to take on the issue straight on, but their reports suggested that
Gaddafi is no longer in his country.

Doha, a news site linked with Al Jazeera, is reporting that Gaddafi has in fact fled
the country

Possibly telling, the state news agency of Libya, Jana, is now stating that Gaddafi's
son Saif al-Islam would "soon" hold a television press conference.  Why Gaddafi's
son would be making a news address instead of his father could indicate that the
dictator is no longer in the country

Gaddafi and Venezuelan autocratic President Hugo Chavez are good friends,
which makes it extremely like that if Gaddafi has indeed fled that he would be heading
to Venezuela.  Both Chavez and Gaddafi share man ideologies and a hate for the
United States.

The protests in Libya have exploded since Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak stepped
down slightly over a week ago.

http://punditpress.blogspot.com/2011/02/reports-gaddafi-has-left-libya-fled-for.html

Henny

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2011, 10:46:00 AM »
Reports: Gaddafi Has Left Libya, Fled for Venezuela

If this is true, that Qaddafi ranks as wimpiest on the Middle East dictator scale!

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2011, 11:41:55 AM »
Qadaffi at the beginning was an improvement of old King Idris, who kept bales of paper money in the basement of the palace where it was eaten by bugs and rodents, but the bar in Libya was quite low. Losing a war with an impoverished nation like Chad has to be a severe embarrassment, but he did develop a major artesian well irrigation system in the desert I hear.

Clearly, he has been in charge far too long. Libya has lots of oil and few people, so as Henny says, there is no reason for Libya not to be at least as enlightened as Qatar, the UAE or Kuwait. Money can work miracles. If you are a nuisance in Kuwait, the government sends you away with a lot of money to study abroad, or to buy a Maserati with so you can kill yourself in an amusing way.

Libya could develop a major coastal tourist industry and be a guiding light for the rest of Africa, but it isn't.

Qadaffi's"Little Green Book" seems to be a potpourri of Italian corporate statism and Islam combined in an imitation of Mao's Little Red Book. In the 1970's I was curious of this, and wrote the Libyan Embassy, and they sent me a set of English language Little Green Books, five in all. Qadaffi was longer-winded than Mao. Qadaffi was about as true to his ideology as stated in them as Mussolini was to his Corporate State doctrine, which is to say, not at all.

I hear that the rebels are in charge in Benghazi and that unrest has spread to Tripoli. Let's hope that he actually has left. I imagine that it is easier to run off with tons of money before they throw you out and close your bank accounts. Poor King Idris had to leave with almost nothing. I imagine that this was on Qadaffi's mind.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2011, 02:27:53 PM »
Considering all of the costumes he owns , it probly took a long time to pack.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2011, 02:50:28 PM »
There are now some demonstrations taking place in Morocco, which has been influenced more than a bit by Spain. The call is for a king that reigns, but does not rule.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2011, 05:52:18 PM »
He didn't want Libyans to see those who were wounded with visible injuries such
as head injuries or amputations,
so he ordered the military to kill those injured.
Yes that's right, he ordered the silent execution of those Libyan civilians and
soldiers who were severely injured. 

Good grief and I thought I had heard it all!

LIBYA: Colonels defected to Malta rather than bomb protesters

The pilots of two Libyan military jets that landed in Malta on Monday are "senior colonels" who were ordered to bomb protesters, Al Jazeera satellite network reports.

The colonels say they refused to bomb protesters demonstrating against Libyan leader Moammar Kadafi and instead defected to Malta, according to Al Jazeera reporter Karl Stagno-Novarra in Malta.

The pilots reportedly told Maltese officials they were based in Tripoli and ordered to attack protesters in Benghazi.  After seeing fellow pilots begin bombing, the colonels changed course and headed for Malta, according to Al Jazeera.

Al Jazeera has been relaying eyewitness reports of airstrikes Monday, but cautioned that the bombings could not be verified.

Clashes in the Libyan capital of Tripoli on Monday left 160 dead, Al Arabiya network quoted eyewitnesses as saying Monday

executions via silent bombs, it would seem
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Christians4LessGvt

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2011, 06:15:18 PM »

Cleric orders Gaddafi killed

Updated: 08:50, Tuesday February 22, 2011

Influential Muslim cleric Yusuf al-Qaradawi has issued a fatwa that any Libyan soldier
who can shoot dead embattled leader Muammar Gaddafi should do so 'to rid Libya of him.'

'Whoever in the Libyan army is able to shoot a bullet at Mr Gaddafi should do so,' Qaradawi,
an Egyptian-born cleric who is usually based in Qatar, told Al-Jazeera television.

He also told Libyan soldiers 'not to obey orders to strike at your own people,' and
urged Libyan ambassadors around the world to dissociate themselves from Gaddafi's regime.

Famous in the Middle East for his at times controversial fatwas, or religious edicts,
the octogenarian Qaradawi has celebrity status in the Arab world thanks to his religious
broadcasts on Al-Jazeera.

He has in the past defended 'violence carried out by certain Muslims.'

The West accuses the cleric of supporting 'terrorism' because he sanctioned Palestinian
suicide attacks in Israel. Britain and the United States have refused to grant him entry visas.

The cleric, spiritual leader of Egypt's Muslim Brotherhood and longtime
resident of Qatar, heads the International Union for Muslim Scholars.

http://www.skynews.com.au/topstories/article.aspx?id=580641&vId=

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2011, 06:28:08 PM »
He's just a splinter fella C.  Not connected to MB in any way.  Closer ties to Kevin Bacon, in fact.  Or so I'm told
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Christians4LessGvt

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2011, 06:53:41 PM »
Didn't realize Qaddafi was such a big Obama fan!

Gadhafi Praises Obama in Speech to Americans