Author Topic: More of the new "civility" from the Left---> Death Threats against Republicans.  (Read 7355 times)

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3

Saying Walker was responsible for the conflict does not justify threats.

The hell it doesn't.  It was in direct response to the threats being made.  If it was stated at some other time, in some other contect, then yea, perhaps.  But that's not when it happened or when it was said.  This need to disagree with sirs for the sake of disagreeing with sirs is getting pretty ridiculous

What i am pointing out is your serious deficiencies in reading for content and context.

Pot, see kettle

Any more than the dems passage of ObamaCare would justify a Tea Partier hurling racial epithets at John Lewis.

It doesn't justify it there either, even if it did happen, precisely as Lewis alledged.

Exactly. and nowhere in the statement that XO made did he claim it did.

CU was the first to bring up justifying threats.

And Xo IMMEDIATELY responded to CU's reference with Walker started it, thus justifying it.  It's a timing thing Bt.  If you can't grasp that, I can't help you.  And I never claimed that Xo brought it up, merely that his immediate comments justifyed the acts.  So why you had a need to provide yet another deflection effort demonstrates the straws you are continually grasping at

BTW did Walker and the GOP initiate the legislation that brought the unions to the Capitol?

yea....and?  IF Xo was responding to THAT and not responding to threats being made, then you'd have that proverbial rhetorical leg to stand on. 

What they (unions) don't have a right to do is take the law into their own hands, and i don't see where XO said they did.

Of course you don't.  You can't.  Sirs & Cu4 said he did, and sirs must be wrong.  Walker having started it was never really said....yea, thats it, it never happened.  Its a figment of all our imaginations.

Complete nonsense.

Next thing you know you will be claiming the phase of the moon determines context and speakers intent.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Nope, gonna stick with timing.  You can continue to ignore it however
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
I'll continue to read and comprehend the words as written. You can use whatever excuse you like to bend the facts to your liking.

Christians4LessGvt

• View Profile
    • "The Religion Of Peace"
  • Liked:
"BTW did Walker and the GOP initiate the legislation
that brought the unions to the Capitol?"

BTW did the Unions initiate the crap that brought Walker to write the legislation?
"Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!" - Ronald Reagan - June 12, 1987

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
"BTW did Walker and the GOP initiate the legislation
that brought the unions to the Capitol?"

BTW did the Unions initiate the crap that brought Walker to write the legislation?

Yep

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
I'll continue to read and comprehend the words as written.

Me too, which includes the timing of when the words are written.  You can use whatever excuse you like to bend the facts to your liking, however.
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Christians4LessGvt

• View Profile
  • Liked:

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
Don't need excuses. I have the words as written. You throw subjectivity into the mix.

inferences, timing, hell you might as well write our posts for us.

Must fit template... that's the ticket.

::)

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
Actually, what you refer to as "subjectivity" is what the rest of us call context

But I understand what you're trying to say....sirs can't be right...he just can't

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
Actually, what you refer to as "subjectivity" is what the rest of us call context

But I understand what you're trying to say....sirs can't be right...he just can't

If you are you are. If you aren't you aren't. You don't wear victimhood well, bit whiney and pathetic.

Of course that is my subjective opinion.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:

If you are you are. If you aren't you aren't. You don't wear victimhood well, bit whiney and pathetic.

Of course that is my subjective opinion.

lol....yea, that's...what I said.  I've somewhat enjoyed this massive deflection tangent of yours Bt.  This near obsession you have in trying to prove me wrong, sometimes resorting to some really childish namecalling and misrepresenting my position in prior threads, is quite a fascination to ride.  And even though Cu4 had pretty much the identical POV in this thread, I got the lion's share of demeaning responses.  I guess I should feel honored, in some form or fashion.  But time to move on

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
Yes it is. The timing is good, though I'm not sure of the location.

Christians4LessGvt

• View Profile
  • Liked:

Shame: Ignoring Death Threats to Wisconsin Politicians Is Media Bias

By Lee Stranahan - Filmmaker, Writer, Photographer

March 15, 2011 01:31 PM

Three questions for you.

Do you think of Republicans and the Tea Party as dangerous, violent extremists?

Do you think the Wisconsin protests over GOP Governor Scott Walker's move to
strip public sector employees of collective bargaining were peaceful?

Do you scoff at the right wing notion that mainstream media like the New York Times,
the TV networks and NPR have a liberal media bias against the conservatives?

If you answered 'yes' to all three of those questions, then let me ask you one more...

Why isn't the mainstream media talking about the death threats against Republican politicians in Wisconsin?

Try to set aside whatever biases or preconceptions you might have for a moment and ask yourself why death threats against politicians aren't considered national news, especially in the wake of the all too fresh shooting of Rep. Gabrielle Giffords and other bystanders. And there hasn't just been one death threat, but a number of them.

Here's an example and it's real. According to Wisconsin State Department of Justice, authorities have found a suspect who admitted to sending the following email:

I want to make this perfectly clear. Because of your actions today and in the past couple of weeks I and the group of people that are working with me have decided that we've had enough. We feel that you and your republican dictators have to die. This is how it's going to happen: I as well as many others know where you and your family live, it's a matter of public records. We have all planned to assult you by arriving at your house and putting a nice little bullet in your head. However, this isn't enough. We also have decided that this may not be enough to send the message. So we have built several bombs that we have placed in various locations around the areas in which we know that you frequent. This includes, your house, your car, the state capitol, and well I won't tell you all of them because that's just no fun. Since we know that you are not smart enough to figure out why this is happening to you we have decided to make it perfectly clear to you. If you and your goonies feel that it's necessary to strip the rights of 300,000 people and ruin their lives, making them unable to feed, clothe, and provide the necessities to their families and themselves then We will "get rid of" (in which I mean kill) the 8 of you. Please understand that this does not include the heroic Senator that risked everything to go aganist what you and your goonies wanted him to do. The 8 includes the 7 senators and the dictator. We feel that it's worth our lives becasue we would be saving the lives of 300,000 people. Please make your peace with God as soon as possible and say goodbye to your loved ones we will not wait any longer. Goodbye ASSHOLE!!!!

After the Giffords shooting, authorities have to take this sort of threat seriously. The media should too, even if the disturbed person who sent that email was motivated by exactly the kind of rhetoric that's been used by many liberals against GOP officials over and over again during the Madison protests. And there are more threats floating around the internet, in varying degrees of scary and credible.

If you read liberal blogs, you might have heard of some of these threats. Indirectly, anyway. Sarah Palin said the rhetoric should be toned down. The threats themselves were ignored and Palin was mocked.

On the other hand, if you read conservative blogs or listen to conservative media, you know all about these threats because people like Bill O'Reilly and Rush Limbaugh and websites like Newsbusters and BigJournalism have not only been talking about the death threats for days now but they've been talking about the mainstream and liberal media ignoring the threats for days.

Ignoring the story of these threats is deeply, fundamentally wrong. It's bad, biased journalism that will lead to no possible good outcome and progressives should be leading the charge against it.

Just before writing this article, I did a Google search and it's stunning to find out that the right wing media really isn't exaggerating -- proven death threats against politicians are being ignored by the supposedly honest media. If you've never agreed with a single thing that Limbaugh, Bill O'Reilly et al have said about anything, you can't in any good conscience say that they don't have a point here. Death threats are wrong and if a story like Wisconsin is national news for days, then so are death threats.

I'm in an odd position. In the last few months, I've had one foot in the left wing news stream and one foot in the right. My media duality began when conservative publisher Andrew Breitbart hired me to work with him on the Pigford 'black farmers' settlement story. I'm a pro-choice, pro-single payer, anti-war, pro-gay rights independent liberal with years of work in print and film backing those positions. Breitbart hired me to bring a different perspective to the non-partisan issue of corruption in Pigford.

Since then, I've written both here for the left-leaning Huffington Post and at Breitbart's right leaning BigGovernment.com. I've ended up reading a lot more conservative sites and dealing firsthand with a lot more conservatives than any time since I attended a high school dedicated to the principles of Ayn Rand about 30 years ago.

Unlike many on the left, I didn't view the Wisconsin battle as the end of days. I wasn't convinced that I had a dog in that hunt, in part because I think there's a strong case to be made those public employees shouldn't have the same collective bargaining rights as private sector workers -- a case made well by Franklin D. Roosevelt, who said...

"All Government employees should realize that the process of collective bargaining, as usually understood, cannot be transplanted into the public service. It has its distinct and insurmountable limitations when applied to public personnel management. The very nature and purposes of Government make it impossible for administrative officials to represent fully or to bind the employer in mutual discussions with Government employee organizations. The employer is the whole people, who speak by means of laws enacted by their representatives in Congress."

Roosevelt's statement makes sense to me; it does seem that public employees are different than private. I'm not at all anti-union. (I've publicly supported unionizing the visual effects industry, for example.) I'm open to a good rational argument against the case FDR made but in discussions on Twitter and elsewhere, all I got in response from people on the left was anger and insults. I saw little light and felt much heat.

That tone of extreme hostility I experienced brings me back to the death threats in Wisconsin. Frankly, the bile and invective in that threat reminded me of the tone I saw directed at me from many so-called liberals because I committed the heresy of taking a different position from them on the issue of collective bargaining for public sector employees... based on something FDR said.

Is this really what liberalism has come to in 2011?

Since working with Breitbart, my position on political issues hasn't changed but I'd be lying if I didn't say I'm deeply disappointed by the virulent, lockstep attitude I see on the left. My experience in the last few months tells me what I would not have believed possible; on any number of issues (including Pigford, by the way) I've seen liberals act much nastier and with less factual honesty than the conservatives... and this includes on issues where I disagree with conservatives.

Burying the death threat story is a clear example of intellectual dishonesty and journalistic bias.

Don't take my word for it, though. Look into the story of death threats in Wisconsin yourself and see who has been covering the story and who hasn't. Try for a moment to see this story from the perspective of those who you may disagree with on policy and ask yourself how this looks to them. Can you blame them for feeling that way? Then take a few seconds and read those questions I asked you at the beginning of this article.

And then ask why progressives shouldn't expect more from our media -- and ourselves -- than we expect from our political adversaries.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/lee-stranahan/shame-ignoring-death-thre_b_835805.html