Author Topic: Seriously, Ami, Plane, Why can't something go faster than the speed of light?  (Read 6393 times)

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
They would transmit light at some rediculously low speed and the light emergeing would be a record of anchient scenes on the other side.

==============================================
Is light emerging from stars at the normal speed a record of more recent scenes?  I tend to think that it's just light, not like anything coming from a movie projector.

"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
They would transmit light at some rediculously low speed and the light emergeing would be a record of anchient scenes on the other side.

==============================================
Is light emerging from stars at the normal speed a record of more recent scenes?  I tend to think that it's just light, not like anything coming from a movie projector.

Generally light travels at a very steady speed and in very streight paths (exceptions are interesting).

The light that tans you on the beach left the sun eight minutes ago , the light from a twinkleing star left it years ago , if you look at a more distant star you are looking further into the past.

This is one of the reasons that the Hubble is so valuable , it has looked at objects so distant that it is presently considered that we have seen halfway back to the big bang.

Brassmask

• View Profile
  • Liked:

Holy crap!

The reason I was asking about the speed of light is because I had this fantastical idea about sending cameras out into space to capture events that happened in earth's history and, of course, the camera would have to go faster than the speed of light or use some kind of warping.

For instance, sunlight bounced off Earth from Dealey Plaza on November 22nd, 1963 and is now somewhere out in space.  Someone on another planet 43 light years away has just missed the opportunity to know if there was a second gunman on the grassy knoll.

In order to see that spot, you'd have to have the camera out in space in the direction that Earth was facing wherever it was in its orbit.  That would be the easy part with computer models, I mean, figuring out where the camera would have to be, of course.

Naturally, the seemingly impossible part of it would be getting a camera out light years ahead of the light that left Earth in 1963.  Also, the camera would have to be capable of seeing extremely small detail from light years away but we can pretty much do that already, right?

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
Also, the camera would have to be capable of seeing extremely small detail from light years away but we can pretty much do that already, right?

Not the kind of detail you're talking about.
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

hnumpah

• You have another think coming. Use it.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
Someone on another planet 43 light years away has just missed the opportunity to know if there was a second gunman on the grassy knoll.

They probably still wouldn't be able to tell. I suspect that gunman was a time traveller from our distant future, sent to prevent JFK from making some seemingly minor decision that would have affected the world in a negative way many years down the road. And he would have been wearing a cloaking device, so the camera wouldn't have seen him anyway.
"I love WikiLeaks." - Donald Trump, October 2016

Brassmask

• View Profile
  • Liked:
Someone on another planet 43 light years away has just missed the opportunity to know if there was a second gunman on the grassy knoll.

They probably still wouldn't be able to tell. I suspect that gunman was a time traveller from our distant future, sent to prevent JFK from making some seemingly minor decision that would have affected the world in a negative way many years down the road. And he would have been wearing a cloaking device, so the camera wouldn't have seen him anyway.

We're talking about reality over here.  You're just talking crazy!  ;)

hnumpah

• You have another think coming. Use it.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
We're talking about reality over here.

Oh, okay. By my calculations, by the time we invented a craft that could travel faster than the speed of light, and a camera with the resolution necessary to capture a recognizeable image from the distances required, the light images from November 22, 1963 will have such a huge headstart, we wouldn't be able to get a camera out in front of them with enough time to capture the images and send them back to Earth before the world came to an end anyway. So the identity, or even the mere existance, of the gunman on the grassy knoll will remain in the realm of speculation, except for those of us who know the truth.
"I love WikiLeaks." - Donald Trump, October 2016

Lanya

• View Profile
  • Liked:
So the identity, or even the mere existance, of the gunman on the grassy knoll will remain in the realm of speculation, except for those of us who know the truth.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
There is a film of the President as the bullets struck him.

The Film is fuzzy and the background is very out of focus.

NASA has developed Algorythyms to sharpen up out of focus pictures , especially for pictures that are repeats of the same background.

How much potential for improvement does the Zapgruder film have?

Brassmask

• View Profile
  • Liked:

NASA has developed Algorythyms to sharpen up out of focus pictures , especially for pictures that are repeats of the same background.

Do you mean the REAL Zapruder film or the one that everyone has been shown for the last few years in order to try and revise history?

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:

Do you mean the REAL Zapruder film or the one that everyone has been shown for the last few years in order to try and revise history?

Do all the ones that there are , if it is possible , sharpening up a phony might make its phonyness more evident. If it is real, it may have information hidden in it.

Time travel might be beaten as a tecnical problem someday , if it ever is the croud at Deally Plaza is likely to doubble and some really good camers will have been will be there in impossible tense.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2007, 03:54:37 AM by Plane »

Lanya

• View Profile
  • Liked:

I saw something like that.  A film that had been 'stabilized' or something.  I thought i posted it.  Will try to find it. It was horrifying, I could see...well, never mind.  Horrifying will do.
Planned Parenthood is America’s most trusted provider of reproductive health care.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  I have on my Desk here a book by David Bodanis titled "E=mc2".

I have to reccomend it strongly , it is about the people who made the equation what it is , not just Einstien but his parents and collegues , his predissessors and his students . It is an engrossing story with Women and Men and governments struggleing loveing and betraying each other . It is more about the people than anything elese but in the process of understanding how these people came to be able to understand the principals the reader gets a good idea of what these principals are too.

I learned several surprising things in it, but I found most strikeing the  principal of how people must be prepared to understand something before they do , and how the prejudices and preconceved notions of a scientist can be both a conduit for discovery or a dam against understanding.

Brassmask

• View Profile
  • Liked:
Do all the ones that there are , if it is possible , sharpening up a phony might make its phonyness more evident. If it is real, it may have information hidden in it.

I'm for that.  Where might I read on this sharpening of older films technology?

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
http://planetquest.jpl.nasa.gov/technology/planet_imaging.cfm > interesting

http://www.nasa.gov/audience/foreducators/topnav/subjects/technology/Photography_and_Imaging.html  >  close

http://science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2003/26mar_visar.htm  > Here it is!

The NASA researchers--using their expertise and equipment for analyzing satellite video--have created a new crime-fighting software tool called VISAR. Short for Video Image Stabilization and Registration, VISAR transforms dark, jittery images captured by security systems and video cameras in police cars into clear, stable images that can reveal clues about crimes. This new technology is expected to benefit medical research and improve home entertainment, too.