Author Topic: Rats Leave the Sinking USS Bush  (Read 2627 times)

hnumpah

• You have another think coming. Use it.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Rats Leave the Sinking USS Bush
« on: January 05, 2007, 12:50:28 PM »
Cakewalk Crowd Abandons Bush
by Patrick J. Buchanan

Victory has a thousand fathers, but defeat is an orphan, said a rueful John F. Kennedy after the Bay of Pigs. George W. Bush knows today whereof his predecessor spoke.

For as he prepares to "surge" 20,000 more U.S. troops into a war even he concedes we "are not winning," his erstwhile acolytes have begun to abandon him to salvage their own tattered reputations.

Case in point, the neoconservatives. As the Iraq war heads into its fifth year, more than half a dozen have confessed to Vanity Fair's David Rose their abject despair over how the Bushites mismanaged the war that they, the "Vulcans," so brilliantly conceived.

Surveying what appears an impending disaster for Iraq and U.S. foreign policy, the neocons have advanced a new theme. The idea of launching an unprovoked war of liberation, for which they had beaten the drums for half a decade before 9-11, remains a lovely concept. It was Bushite incompetence that fouled it up.

"The policy can be absolutely right, and noble, beneficial, but if you can't execute it, it's useless, just useless," wails Ken Adelman, who had famously predicted in The Washington Post that "liberating Iraq would be a cakewalk."

Bush's team of Powell, Cheney, Rumsfeld and Rice, says Adelman, "turned out to be among the most incompetent teams in the postwar era. Not only did each of them, individually, have enormous flaws, but together they were deadly, dysfunctional." Their incompetence, he adds, "means that most everything we ever stood for ... lies in ruins."

Professor Eliot Cohen of Johns Hopkins, whose book on war leaders Bush used to carry about, says his mistake was in not knowing "how incredibly incompetent" the Bush team would be.

Richard Perle is sickened by the consequences of the war he and his comrades so ardently championed. "The levels of brutality ... are truly horrifying, and, I have to say, I underestimated the depravity."

Calling the Bush policy process a "disaster," Perle blames Bush himself: "At the end of the day, you have to hold the president responsible. ... I don't think he realizes the extent of the opposition within his own administration, and the disloyalty."

This is the second fallback position of the War Party. Not only incompetence, but treachery made a nightmare of their vision.

Ãœber-hawk Frank Gaffney also hits hard the theme of sabotage and disloyalty: "This president has tolerated, and the people around him have tolerated, active, ongoing, palpable insubordination and skullduggery that translates into subversion of his policies. ... He doesn't in fact seem to be a man of principle who's steadfastly pursuing what he thinks is the right course."

David Frum, the cashiered White House speechwriter who co-authored the "axis-of-evil" phrase, faults the president. While he provided the words, says Frum, Bush "just did not absorb the ideas. And that is the root of maybe everything."

Where Frum, four years ago, accused antiwar conservatives of being "unpatriotic" haters of America and President Bush, he is now saying that that same president either lacked the I.Q. to realize what he was saying or lacked a belief and commitment to follow through.

As Rose writes, this is "the most damning assessment of all." Moreover, it is an indictment of Bush's judgment that he could clasp so many such vipers to his bosom.

Rose describes James Woolsey, the ex-CIA director who was ubiquitous on the op-ed pages and national TV making the case for war, as "aghast at what he sees as profound American errors that have ignored the lessons learned so painfully, 40 years ago" in Vietnam.

Conspicuous by its absence from disparagements of the president by these deserters from his camp and cause is any sense that they were themselves wrong. That they, who accuse everyone else of cutting and running, are themselves cutting and running. That they are themselves but a typical cluster of think-tank incompetents.

No neocon concedes that the very idea itself of launching an unprovoked war against a country in the heart of the Arab world – one that had not attacked us, did not threaten us and did not want war with us – might not be wildly welcomed by the "liberated." No neocon has yet conceded that Bismarck may have been right when he warned, "Preventive war is like committing suicide out of fear of death."

"Huge mistakes were made," says Perle, "and I want to be very clear on this: They were not made by neoconservatives. ... I'm getting damn tired of being described as an architect of the war."

Almost all the neoconservatives have now departed the seats of power in the Bush administration and retreated to their sinecures at Washington think tanks, to plot the next war – on Iran.

Meanwhile, brave young Americans, the true idealists and the casualties of the neocons' war, come home in caskets, 20 a week, to Dover and, at Walter Reed, learn to walk again on steel legs.

January 5, 2007
http://www.lewrockwell.com/buchanan/buchanan48.html
"I love WikiLeaks." - Donald Trump, October 2016

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
Re: Rats Leave the Sinking USS Bush
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2007, 01:10:21 PM »
Glad we have a dem congress to save us.

They will won't they?

Mucho

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2007, 01:12:41 PM »
Except for the usual suspects in here, it looks like it may be only Laura and Barney that still supports the Bushidiot anymore. ( Well, maybe just Laura. Barney looks more intelligent.)

Lanya

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2007, 01:19:17 PM »
http://www.humanevents.com/article.php?id=18797

Even Ollie North says more troops=more targets. 
Planned Parenthood is America’s most trusted provider of reproductive health care.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2007, 01:20:48 PM »
During riots they bring in the national guard. I guess that means more targets also.

Mucho

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2007, 01:45:09 PM »
http://www.humanevents.com/article.php?id=18797

Even Ollie North says more troops=more targets. 

As screwed as Ollie was and is he at least was once in the military. For the most part, the neo con Chickenhawks werent. 

hnumpah

• You have another think coming. Use it.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2007, 01:51:04 PM »
They will won't they?

Guess we'll have to wait and see.

In '00, I voted for Bush. He and his cronies turned out to be a huge disappointment. They had my support all the way up until they started beating the drums to go to war in Iraq. I wouldn't have known that was coming, either, just two months after the '00 elections.

Things will either get better or worse under the Dems. Only time will tell which.
"I love WikiLeaks." - Donald Trump, October 2016

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2007, 02:41:14 PM »
I found the whole article hilarious.  Some of the highlights were the Bismarck quote (that preventive war is like committing suicide out of fear of death) which I had never heard before, and Adelman was priceless:

<<Bush's team of Powell, Cheney, Rumsfeld and Rice, says Adelman, "turned out to be among the most incompetent teams in the postwar era. Not only did each of them, individually, have enormous flaws, but together they were deadly, dysfunctional." Their incompetence, he adds, "means that most everything we ever stood for ... lies in ruins." >>

And this is a BAD thing, right?

Lanya

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2007, 08:10:54 PM »
<<Their incompetence, he adds, "means that most everything we ever stood for ... lies in ruins."   >>

Oh, if only that were true!  I fear It is much worse than that. 

Bush has 2 years to go, and I think he's just gonna try to run the clock out.  Let the next president pull the troops out, or, and this is my big fear, he's going to start a war with Iran.  We have the ships there already.  One of the generals, the one he's put in charge of two land wars, is a Navy man.  So what's up? 

Of course, I'm sitting here in Ohio and have no inside-the-Beltway source so I could be all wrong.  I fervently hope I am as wrong as...sand.  Whatever is the opposite of right as rain.

By the way...
Senate Regrets Vote to enter Iraq
http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/Politics/story?id=2771519&page=1
Planned Parenthood is America’s most trusted provider of reproductive health care.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2007, 08:26:13 PM »
Let the next president pull the troops out

Your dem congress can end the war tomorrow. Deauthorize and defund.

Ball in your court.

I look forward to your reaping buckets of scorn on the dem leadership as well as the dem rank and file when they disappoint.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2007, 12:48:54 AM »

Ball in your court.

I look forward to your reaping buckets of scorn on the dem leadership as well as the dem rank and file when they disappoint.

Is the whole thing a Rovian Plot to make Democrats stand there holding the bag?

Mucho

« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2007, 01:14:56 AM »

Ball in your court.

Is the whole thing a Rovian Plot to make Democrats stand there holding the bag?

People of limited intellectual capabilities only see things in simplistic terms. To de-authorize and defund are simple and obvious and can be easily thwarted. It is proven that the simpleminded  Bushidiot cannot fight an insurgency. The most effective techniques will be insurgent techniques . The diff is our insurgents have some power now. The Bushidiot's goose is cooked.

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2007, 09:00:13 AM »
The most effective techniques will be insurgent techniques . The diff is our insurgents have some power now.

Pelosi is gonna have our troops plant IEDs on the roads and blow up marketplaces?

I don't think that's gonna work.
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2007, 09:14:59 AM »
Juniorbush's goose is of the self-cooking variety.

Lamentably, it is our troops that will pay for his incompetent and useless warmongering with their lives.
We get to pay for the monetary costs

Juniorbush, however ignorant, arrogant, stupid and asinine he is, will still get his nifty pension, free medical care, secret service 24/7 for himself and his family, and  (o irony of ironies) a huge library with his name upon it.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."