Author Topic: Lousy Political Timing  (Read 10366 times)

domer

Lousy Political Timing
« on: January 05, 2007, 04:44:27 PM »
I don't know what the president's plans are to consult with the new Democratic leadership in Congress, including the appropriate committee chairs, but the timing of the politics on his decision about Iraq may submerge the substance. (One has to wonder whether either, or both, sides not only anticipated this but brought it about.)

What I mean is this: a crucial decision on our future in Iraq (and by implication, the wider conflict with violent, radical Islam) has been brewing at least since the announcement of the Baker-Hamilton Report. President Bush has taken that advice into account, putatively, and has almost completed a broad canvass of principals and aides in his administration to give his view a balanced and informed ring. During this period, public debate ensued in cafes and in the media. For a while, though interrupted by the holidays, the national discussion was very intense. Some Democrats spoke out, but many deferred. The convocation of the new Congress seems to be the trigger for open policy reaffirmation by the Democrats. The question is: Is it too late to have any substantive effect, and what, indeed, is the substantive effect the Democrats wish to have?

So far as I can see, and I'm limited in my vision, the Democrats don't have a program as much as they have a quest. Withdrawal of troops is not a strategy, I suggest, but only the first step of a strategy that simply has not been formed or articulated. To some extent, the Democrats are mirroring the president in this. He seems to think that if we "win" in Iraq (however that is defined today) everything will fall into place. The shadows this assumption casts are deeper than the Democrats' withdrawal shadows because success in Iraq by Bush's terms necessarily implies a sweeping change in Middle East politics, either causatively or resultingly. It is the very reality of that possibility which is Bush's bugaboo, and whether the effort will be a Pyrrhic victory, costing more than it yields. The Democrats seem to be saying that if we withdraw from Iraq, then everything will fall into place. Yet to the popular (and trained) mind the question automatically arises: what do we do next? How, exactly (or close enough for government work) do we position ourselves to prevail in what promises to be a long, difficult struggle with violent, radical Islam? What initiatives should we introduce, and so on?

Our "national faith" calls for a belief in the efficacy of our politics, the ability of opposing sides to talk and confer and reach a common understanding of the common good. But there seems to be no time left for that. Do we blame Bush for delaying his decision to gain not only perspective but political clout (the strong surge for the ISG conception of the problem has dramatically receded), or do we blame Democrats for waiting to join issue to a time when they have gained information on the president's thinking but also achieved ceremonial clout? 

_JS

• Salaires legers. Chars lourds.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Lousy Political Timing
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2007, 04:52:50 PM »
So far as I can see, and I'm limited in my vision, the Democrats don't have a program as much as they have a quest. Withdrawal of troops is not a strategy, I suggest, but only the first step of a strategy that simply has not been formed or articulated. To some extent, the Democrats are mirroring the president in this. He seems to think that if we "win" in Iraq (however that is defined today) everything will fall into place.

Honestly, this is one of the best charecterisations of the current political attitude towards Iraq that I've read, Domer.

Is it the nature of where we stand in the war right now that makes long-term planning impractical or are we too reliant on the notion that we can pragmatically plan our way through this predicament in general? By that I mean, perhaps we're asking too much of both sides. Perhaps there is no genuine solution or set of realistic solutions to achieve any of the political goals set by either President Bush or the Democrats (or the Iraqi factions). Would that not be the truest definition of a quagmire?
I smell something burning, hope it's just my brains.
They're only dropping peppermints and daisy-chains
   So stuff my nose with garlic
   Coat my eyes with butter
   Fill my ears with silver
   Stick my legs in plaster
   Tell me lies about Vietnam.

domer

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2007, 04:58:28 PM »
Thanks, JS. I do believe you've defined "quagmire" correctly. However, we can't avoid the fact that we're in it. There's been a lot of talk on the ethics front lately about "draining the swamp," which I suggest is an apt metaphor here. But that just re-forms the question: how do we drain the swamp?

_JS

• Salaires legers. Chars lourds.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2007, 05:13:22 PM »
I'd love to hear an objective, well-argued set of views on how we can achieve success in Iraq, either through withdrawal or continued fighting.

(And I say that with the knowledge that I have contributed to the demise of such discussions in the past :( ).
I smell something burning, hope it's just my brains.
They're only dropping peppermints and daisy-chains
   So stuff my nose with garlic
   Coat my eyes with butter
   Fill my ears with silver
   Stick my legs in plaster
   Tell me lies about Vietnam.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2007, 07:46:34 PM »
I'd love to hear an objective, well-argued set of views on how we can achieve success in Iraq, either through withdrawal or continued fighting.

Secure and hold Baghdad, normalize life  and move outward.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2007, 11:25:45 PM »

Secure and hold Baghdad, normalize life  and move outward.

Works for me.  You ever think about throwing in your hat, for Defense Secretary, Bt?
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2007, 12:35:43 AM »
Is winning in Iraq harder to define than looseing in Iraq ?

If our effort in Iraq were an operation of Hezbollah we would be danceing in the street over the success , because success is anything short of anialation.

Or of course success can be a moving goalpost which we can get halfway twards but never reach because it has moved back again.

I think that all sides agree that at some point the fate of Iraq will be in the hands of Iriquis and American efforts will dwindle down to bare minimums of support or nothing at all.

At that point will we have done everything we could have done to acheve a good result?

And will this good result require an Obedient Iraq or merely an Iraq that takes care of itself?

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2007, 12:39:47 AM »
<<So far as I can see, and I'm limited in my vision, the Democrats don't have a program as much as they have a quest. >>

Quest for what?  How to sell the American people on a pull-out with no preconditions?  Quest for "victory" in Iraq in the form of a complete incapacitation of all armed opposition to the current so-called "government?"  Quest for a program, any program, so that they can finally say, see, we DO stand for something, we DO have a program?

I think as long as the administration does not come clean on the real reasons for the war the American people will not know why they are there.  As long as they do not know why they are there, any discussion of "success" (in the form of outcomes or strategies) is fruitless, essentially because nobody can formulate success for a mission whose purpose is not known.

If the real purpose of the invasion was oil - - as I suspect it was - - then I think this would be a good time for this to come out frankly, and a discussion can then begin as to what the real consequences would be of a withdrawal.  The discussion would include such elements as: the existing sources of oil and their rates of depletion; the relative significance of the Iraqi reserves; the forecast demands of the major players, USA, EU, Japan, India, China, Russia; the ability of the other players to project their power and influence into the Middle East and the ability of each of the players to compete with the others for oil in the next 5, 10, 15 and 20 or more years if the US maintains military bases and/or puppet regimes there and if they don't; the costs of hanging on; and other related matters.  Will other countries (Iran) have to be subdued as well to make the whole thing work?  And what is the total cost?

A decision ought to be made: stay the course or get out.  Stay the course means slaughter the bastards - - kill as many as you need to kill to ensure that the government the U.S. puts into power stays in power.  In Iraq if Iraq is the only country needed; in all the "target" countries if more will have to be subdued to make the oil grab work.  This will either result in an economic benefit to the US (the savings on oil outweigh all the loss of life and treasure spent on the conquest of Iraq) or it won't.

If the government persists in its bullshit ("We came to find WMD but we stayed to bring the blessings of democracy to the Iraqi people") then the debate will never get off the ground because even if you could convince anyone that you have a right to occupy another sovereign state until you have forced it to accept the kind of government that you think is best for it, the administration would constantly be frustrating the goals set by the "bringin 'em democracy" policies every time the goal of democracy clashed with the real (but hidden) goals of U.S. oil hegemony.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2007, 12:50:25 AM »
I think as long as the administration does not come clean on the real reasons for the war the American people will not know why they are there.  As long as they do not know why they are there, any discussion of "success" is fruitless, essentially because nobody can formulate success for a mission whose purpose is not known.

"purposes not known"... Priceless     ;D    It can't be any of the reasons that have been made public and on record, logical, and completely within the realm of common sense.  Nooooooooooooo.  It has to be something completely nefarious & sinister......because, hey's Bush & Cheney, "pure evil".  And with that as the foundation to ANY thought process, nothing good, noble, or well inentioned can be coming from the likes of them

Whew....good thing we have "Mr Objective" Tee here, to tell us the real reasons
« Last Edit: January 06, 2007, 12:56:33 AM by sirs »
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2007, 12:53:52 AM »
A decision ought to be made: stay the course or get out.  Stay the course means slaughter the bastards - - kill as many as you need to kill to ensure that the government the U.S. puts into power stays in power.  In Iraq if Iraq is the only country needed; in all the "target" countries if more will have to be subdued to make the oil grab work.  This will either result in an economic benefit to the US (the savings on oil outweigh all the loss of life and treasure spent on the conquest of Iraq) or it won't.

If the government persists in its bullshit ("We came to find WMD but we stayed to bring the blessings of democracy to the Iraqi people") then the debate will never get off the ground because even if you could convince anyone that you have a right to occupy another sovereign state until you have forced it to accept the kind of government that you think is best for it, the administration would constantly be frustrating the goals set by the "bringin 'em democracy" policies every time the goal of democracy clashed with the real (but hidden) goals of U.S. oil hegemony.

Killing the bastards is one of the goals, the one that we have been doing best at too.

Why do you have this oil fixation?  Ther is no possible outcome that would give the USA such "controll" as you imagine , it is so far fectched that I have troubble following your imagination.

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2007, 01:08:56 AM »
<<Why do you have this oil fixation?  Ther is no possible outcome that would give the USA such "controll" as you imagine , it is so far fectched that I have troubble following your imagination.>>

You can come to it from three directions.

1.  Process of elimination:  the WMD story was so patently absurd only a moron could fall for it.  But even if you did fall for it, that rationale ended when no WMD were found.  THAT was the time to say "Sorry, no WMD here after all," pack up and leave.  But then the new rationale, bringing democracy to Iraq.  From people who never gave a shit about democracy in their lives.  Some of them veterans of the campaigns to overthrow the Allende government in Chile, all of them totally unconcerned about democracy in Egypt, democracy in Saudi Arabia, democracy in Iran, democracy in the West Bank, democracy in Gaza, democracy in Syria, democracy in Uzbekistan, democracy in Kyrghistan, democracy in Pakistan, democracy in El Salvador, democracy in Paraguay, fuck 'em all and fuck their democracy.  But Iraq?  Iraq needs democracy folks, Iraq's hurtin for democracy, they need it so bad there we'll fight and die for it and spend half a trillion dollars for it.  Again, you gotta be a moron to believe that.

2.  History - - the history of the modern post-WWI Middle East is the history of oil and exploitation, the landmarks of which are the British and French division of the old Ottoman Empire into fragmented states each around its own oil wells, the occupation of "Mesopotamia,"  post-WWII U.S. support of the House of Saud to cement its interest in Saudi Arabian oil, and the CIA overthrow of the Mossadegh government in the wake of its nationalization of the Anglo-Persian Oil Co., and its installation of the Shah.  They've always had a history of meddling in the affairs of the local states, often militarily, for no reason other than oil.

There's also just plain logic and common sense:  why SHOULDN'T they control those oil fields?  Who will if they won't?

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2007, 02:22:41 AM »
<<Why do you have this oil fixation?  Ther is no possible outcome that would give the USA such "controll" as you imagine , it is so far fectched that I have troubble following your imagination.>>

Process of elimination:  the WMD story was so patently absurd only a moron could fall for it.

So apparently nearly every country's head of state and intelligence agency were morons.  But Bush....he lied.    :D   Good thing we have "Mr. Objective" Tee here to clear it all up

But even if you did fall for it, that rationale ended when no WMD were found.  THAT was the time to say "Sorry, no WMD here after all," pack up and leave.  But then the new rationale, bringing democracy to Iraq. 

No, that was never a change, only a moral requirement following regime change & taking out the WMD threat.  Apparently "morons" can't grasp that concept

There's also just plain logic and common sense:  why SHOULDN'T they control those oil fields? 

So why don't we??  Most powerful nation on the Globe...largest, most technically advanced military.  Every justification could be made in taking over the oil fields in "repaying us" for taking out Saddam, and yet.........................

Here's a hint.  It wasn't

Who will if they won't?

Ummm, the Iraqi people?  Gads, what a concept

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2007, 05:41:25 AM »

You can come to it from three directions.

1.  Process of elimination:  the WMD story was so patently absurd only a moron could fall for it.  But even if you did fall for it, that rationale ended when no WMD were found.  .....Again, you gotta be a moron to believe that.

2.  History - - the history of the modern post-WWI Middle East is the history of oil and exploitation, .... for no reason other than oil.

There's also just plain logic and common sense:  why SHOULDN'T they control those oil fields?  Who will if they won't?

Number one , Saddam had history of seeking , buying , building and useing WMD. Saddam was worse than Hitler in this particular respect , especially if you were to ask a Kurd or an Iranian . I suppose he might have been reformed , but when did he ever say he was repentant? 

Number two , oil has lubed history for more than a century now , but "controll" as you put it is not a possibility now as much as it once was back when national enonomys were more independant , can you imagine the result of some idiotic contorller trying to reduce the availiblity of Oil to one of the major markets ?The "controll " that had to be wrested from Sadam was cash , a result of Oil, which Saddam was useing to preserve instability where it was usefull to him , and to purchase strength for himself ,oh, and to buy precursors to WMD.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2007, 09:26:53 AM »
Oh, come on!
The people that control the oil are the ones who refine and sell it.

The oil industry by its very nature is corruption-prone.

No one but the experts know how much or what kind of oil is in a well.

No one but an expert knows how much is being pumped out.

No one but an expert at the refinery knows how much and what kind can be produced from any specific amount of crude oil.

All these experts work for a salary and can be bribed without danger of anyone ever being convicted.

Whenever Iraqi oil is pumped, US oil companies will profit.
And unless you own stock in them, they will not share it with you, no matter how many Iraqis died, no matter how much you spent to finance the war, no matter how many relatives and/or friends died in Iraq.

"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2007, 02:26:51 PM »
I found it kind of interesting that the only people who argue against oil as the main reason for the invasion and occupation are the usual suspects, sirs and plane.  Let's examine their reasoning.

sirs:  <<It can't be any of the reasons that have been made public and on record, logical, and completely within the realm of common sense.  Nooooooooooooo.  It has to be something completely nefarious & sinister>>
In other words:  1.  We should believe in the multiple reasons that the U.S. government has given for its actions. Those reasons are logical and completely within the realm of common sense.  It is both logical and common sense to believe that Iraq  would attack the U.S.A., an infinitely more powerful nation, with WMD, for what unimaginable benefit other than its own anihilation we cannot say - - very logical and commonsensical; and
2.   It's ridiculous to believe that a U.S. government led by Bush and Cheney could have nefarious and sinister motives, since they are, presumably, as saintly and pure a pair of men as ever led the U.S. to launch an unprovoked attack on a sovereign state.

plane:  <<Ther is no possible outcome that would give the USA such "controll" as you imagine , it is so far fectched that I have troubble following your imagination.>>

yeah, I agree, this is very hard to follow.  I invade a country and destroy its leadership, pick another government, choosing all the candidates who can run for office and who cannot, keep it in power by my own force of arms and stay there as long as I have to stay, either in permanent military bases within the very boundaries of the country itself or all along its borders.  Nevertheless, despite my installation of this government and my ability to intervene at a moment's notice to keep it in power, I expect it to be scrupulously fair in its oil policies, especially when there are more barrels of oil sought than there are barrels of oil for sale, I will be treated as just one more customers in a whole line of customers waiting patiently, money in hand, to purchase what that government will allow us to buy and accept whatever allocation it chooses to make amongst its customers.  Yeah, that makes sense.  Also, if the government owing its very existence to my military forces decides as its predecessor did that it will sell its oil for euros instead of dollars, I will just tell them, "Well that's OK, that is YOUR decision to make and although I am very disappointed in you, I say God bless you and may you enjoy your new euro bank account in good health."  BOY are you naive!

sirs:  <<So apparently nearly every country's head of state and intelligence agency were morons.  But Bush....he lied. >>

Relying again on the fiction that every head of state and every foreign intelligence agency also believed in Bush's bullshit.  On what basis no one has ever figured out, except sirs, who probably speaks to all of them on a daily basis or believes he does, and hears from them (or the voices in his head that claim to be them) that "We believed it too, sirs, honest we did!")  Which clashes oddly with the known fact that NONE of the heads of state of France, Germany, Canada, Russia, China and dozens of other countries were taken in by this bullshit and WOULD NOT SUPPORT a Security Council initiative to authorize an invasion of Iraq because there was no justifying evidence.  I don't expect these inconvenient facts will ever stop sirs from spouting that same tired bullshit about the unanimity of international opinion behind Bush, but the fact of the matter is there, and I hope these facts will put some perspective on sirs' nonsense.

sirs:  <<So why don't we??  Most powerful nation on the Globe...largest, most technically advanced military.  Every justification could be made in taking over the oil fields in "repaying us" for taking out Saddam, and yet.........................>>

And yet . . . YOU CAN'T.   That is the problem, and you stated it very well.  "Most powerful nation on the Globe . . . largest, most technically advanced military."  You can't commit all your forces to that one point because then you would be powerless at many other points.  So you commit what you sensibly can commit to the job, but those limited forces are not enough.  So more will have to be committed.  Still many more will have to be held back otherwise you will be attacked at other points, or powerless to protect your friends who are attacked at other points.  And a superpower who can't protect its friends . . . won't have those friends for very long.  Long story short:  you can't because you just aren't powerful enough.

sirs: << No, that [the change in rationalization from WMD to "bringing democracy"] was never a change, only a moral requirement following regime change & taking out the WMD threat>>

It was a "moral requirement" to kill 600,000 Iraqis so that they could have the kind of democratic government the American government thinks they should have?  How on earth is the blatant violation of the basic principle of non-intervention in the affairs of another sovereign state, a part of the Charter of the United Nations which the U.S. itself has solemnly pledged itself to obey, a "moral requirement?"  And BTW, the intellectual dishonesty of your argument that the U.S. "took out" a "threat" of WMD is duly noted.  Nobody can "take out" a non-existent threat.

The American people were lied into war with the lie that Saddam had WMD that posed an immediate threat to America; once that lie was exposed, they were told that they had to stay in Iraq until the Iraqis had a self-sustaining democratic government or a reasonable shot at one, or similar nonsense - - definitely a change from the original rational of "protecting" America from the "threat" of Saddam's WMD.

sirs:  [in response to my question, who will control the Iraqi oil fields if the U.S.A. does not?]
<<Ummm, the Iraqi people?  Gads, what a concept>>

Oh, THAT'S a relief.  So in about ten or fifteen years time, the Russians, Chinese and Indians, as desperate for oil as they may be, will still voluntarily refrain from taking any steps towards securing the Middle East oil fields --  in fact will be just as scrupulous about respecting Iraqi sovereignty as the U.S. and Britain have been.  Gee, it's nice to know that the neo-cons in Washington are so trusting of other rival powers' intentions regarding something as important as oil.  Are you there when they all sing Kumbaya together sirs, or are those little singalongs just limited to heads of state?

plane:  <<Number one , Saddam had history of seeking , buying , building and useing WMD.>>

Well that's a perfect example of a little knowledge being a dangerous thing.  Or of the misleading power of half-truths.  You mis-stated "history" here by what you left out.  The "history" of Saddam's use of WMD was that it was allegedly used against powers that were vastly inferior in retaliatory power to the U.S.A.  Neither the Kurds nor Iran had the power or have the power to wipe Iraq off the map.  It is almost like arguing, "Well he ("he" being the 98-pound weakling next door) spanked his four-year-old, that proves he was about to come over here and punch my lights out."  The fact that he used a weapon against victims who were in no position to wreak massive retaliation (anihilation, actually) upon him and his country is NOT an argument that makes it any more likely that he would use the same weapon against a country that COULD physically anihilate Iraq.  Also, not just Iraq but many countries (Israel and the U.S. included) have histories of "seeking, buying and building WMD."  India and Pakistan to name just the two most obvious.

plane:  <<Number two , oil has lubed history for more than a century now , but "controll" as you put it is not a possibility now as much as it once was back when national enonomys were more independant , can you imagine the result of some idiotic contorller trying to reduce the availiblity of Oil to one of the major markets ? . . . >>

plane is speaking of today's conditions when there is still enough oil to satisfy every major player's need.  I am speaking of a time when there won't be enough oil to satisfy all buyers, when allocations will have to be made by the producers.  A time when China will be much more militarily powerful than it is now.  I pointed out several times in this group a statement made by a senior Chinese defence official that China's goal was to achieve technological parity with the US military in fifteen years, which IMHO would be a very significant milestone.  It could be argued that it would be sheer negligence for any U.S. administration today NOT to take steps against that eventuality.  In any event, I do not take plane seriously on this point since he is basing his argument on today's market conditions and my argument rests on a longer but still foreseeable term.