Author Topic: Contractors and embedded reporters now subject to UCMJ  (Read 1633 times)

Lanya

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Contractors and embedded reporters now subject to UCMJ
« on: January 05, 2007, 10:34:12 PM »
http://www.defensetech.org/archives/003123.html

The Law Catches Up To Private Militaries, Embeds

Since the start of the Iraq war, tens of thousands of heavily-armed military contractors have been roaming the country -- without any law, or any court to control them. That may be about to change, Brookings Institution Senior Fellow P.W. Singer notes in a Defense Tech exclusive. Five words, slipped into a Pentagon budget bill, could make all the difference. With them, "contractors 'get out of jail free' cards may have been torn to shreds," he writes. They're now subject to the Uniform Code of Military Justice, the same set of laws that governs soldiers. But here's the catch: embedded reporters are now under those regulations, too.

[.......................]
Planned Parenthood is America’s most trusted provider of reproductive health care.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
Re: Contractors and embedded reporters now subject to UCMJ
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2007, 10:51:44 PM »
According to the source article it would be a stretch to interpret the law as saying embeds are subject to UCMJ as technically they aren't contractors. And the contractors gain rights with this new law a fair trade now that they can be held accountable.

I understand Lindsey Graham inserted this provision. I don't have a problem with it.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2007, 12:39:20 AM »
According to the source article it would be a stretch to interpret the law as saying embeds are subject to UCMJ as technically they aren't contractors. And the contractors gain rights with this new law a fair trade now that they can be held accountable.

I understand Lindsey Graham inserted this provision. I don't have a problem with it.

Probably a good idea , is the CIA held to the UCMJ or is that something elese?
Is a contractor employed by other than the military also subject?

Lanya

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2007, 12:42:07 AM »
I don't have a problem with it either.  High time for it.
Planned Parenthood is America’s most trusted provider of reproductive health care.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2007, 12:46:47 AM »
I don't have a problem with it either.  High time for it.

Why does it matter , in your estimation?