Author Topic: Iraq Vets and health care  (Read 1233 times)

Lanya

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Iraq Vets and health care
« on: January 06, 2007, 04:03:00 PM »
http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/la-oe-bilmes5jan05,0,6627236.story?coll=la-opinion-rightrail

The battle of Iraq's wounded
The U.S. is poorly equipped to care for the tens of thousands of soldiers injured in Iraq.
By Linda Bilmes, LINDA BILMES teaches public finance at the Kennedy School of Government at Harvard University. She is the coauthor, with Joseph Stiglitz, of the report, "The Economic Cost of the Iraq War: An Appraisa
January 5, 2007

THE NEW YEAR brought with it the 3,000th American death in Iraq. But what's equally alarming — and far less well known — is that for every fatality in Iraq, there are 16 injuries. That's an unprecedented casualty level. In the Vietnam and Korean wars, by contrast, there were fewer than three people wounded for each fatality. In World Wars I and II, there were less than two.

That means we now have more than 50,000 wounded Iraq war soldiers. In one sense, this reflects positive change: Better medical care and stronger body armor are enabling many more soldiers to survive injuries that might have led, in earlier generations, to death. But like so much else about this war, the Bush administration failed to foresee what it would mean, failed to plan for the growing tide of veterans who would be in urgent need of medical and disability care. The result is that as the Iraq war approaches its fourth anniversary, the Department of Veterans Affairs is buckling under a growing volume of disability claims and rising demand for medical attention.

So far, more than 200,000 veterans from Iraq and Afghanistan have been treated at VA medical facilities — three times what the VA projected, according to a Government Accountability Office analysis. More than one-third of them have been diagnosed with mental health conditions, including post-traumatic stress disorder, acute depression and substance abuse. Thousands more have crippling disabilities such as brain or spinal injuries. In each of the last two years, the VA has underestimated the number of veterans who would seek help and the cost of treating them — forcing it to go cap in hand to Congress for billions of dollars in emergency funding.

The VA system has a reputation for high-quality care, but waiting lists to see a doctor at some facilities now run as long as several months. Shortages are particularly acute in mental health care. Dr. Frances Murphy, the VA's deputy undersecretary for health, recently wrote that some VA clinics do not provide mental health or substance abuse care, or if they do, "waiting lists render that care virtually inaccessible."
[..............]
Planned Parenthood is America’s most trusted provider of reproductive health care.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
Re: Iraq Vets and health care
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2007, 04:19:33 PM »
Again this does not match what i see when i visit the VA. It may be true that some VA clinics do not offer mental health care. It is also true in the past 10 years the VA has opened numerous satellite clinics and these may be the clinics the undersecretary was referring to. I also know that the VA does offer outpatient substance abuse programs, they no longer offer a 28 day program. They will detox if necessary.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Iraq Vets and health care
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2007, 04:27:59 PM »
They are able to keep soldiers alive that would have been doomed in earlier wars. This is a good thing for the soldiers, but a very bad thing for the budget.

The maintenance of a grave plot at Arlington Cemetery is quite minimal: prosthetics, psychotherapy, organ replacement, plastic surgery are all very costly. I think that every Presidential Library tour should begin with a tour down a hallway in which all the most gruesome-looking veterans' photos are on display. At least in the case of presidents who declared unnecessary wars.

It would keep the BS in perspective.  The LBJ LIbrary, by the way, is the best one I've seen.

"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."