Author Topic: Is the Hitler analogy outdated?  (Read 20380 times)

hnumpah

• You have another think coming. Use it.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Is the Hitler analogy outdated?
« on: September 18, 2006, 12:20:56 PM »
http://www.xoverboard.com/cartoons/2006_09_18.png

Gotta copy it over to your browser - it won't let you get there from here.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2006, 03:10:10 PM by hnumpah »
"I love WikiLeaks." - Donald Trump, October 2016

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
Re: Is the Hitler analogy outdated?
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2006, 12:24:26 PM »
Yeah, pretty much.

It was old 5 years ago already.
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2006, 01:00:19 PM »
It was before Bush even took office
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2006, 01:31:37 PM »
It was before Bush even took office

Yeah, I know. Which is why it was getting old already 5 years ago.
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2006, 02:02:27 PM »
The best some of these BDS folks can come up with in trying to rationalize Bush = Hitler, is that we can no longer talk to foreign terrorists, without the call possibly being monitored, or red flags going up at the FBI if we were to check out a horde of Jihad made Easy, Bombmaking for Dummies , & How to hide among your neighbors 101 books.  That apparently equates with rounding up & exterminating millions of Jews, and trying to apply a New World Order, that everyone is to follow.      ???
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

_JS

• Salaires legers. Chars lourds.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2006, 02:52:57 PM »
I don't think it is outdated so much as not useful. Clearly Bush isn't similar to Hitler. Bush is not a Fascist. In fact, it is difficult to say what political philosophy Bush follows, if any. Perhaps some kind of patrician opportunist? I'd say that is as close as Bush comes to an actual political philosophy.

He's also clearly not as intelligent or as adept at understanding the general psyche of the people as Hitler was. Yes, the GOP and Karl Rove are spin machines with a lot of money and the ability to use information or statistics to meet their agenda - but Bush, personally has no concept of rallying the masses and using support. We can tell this easily by how quickly his 90% approval rating fell apart.

Lastly, Bush doesn't have the grapes that Hitler had (and ironically Hitler only had one). The world is better off for this and the previous characteristic as well. For example, Bush has had his own party in office and has personally been at the helm now since January 2001. What has he accomplished? Hitler had already turned around a horrible economy suffering from hyperinflation. Indeed, he would have gone down in western history as a great leader had he died in 1938 or 1939 pre-Polish invasion. The German military went from barely existent to feared throughout Europe. The army and air force had invented all new methods of warfare, never before seen in battle. German industry was envied. German national pride was extremely high.

And what has Bush accomplished, with his own party in control of Congress?

Indeed. The comparison is not useful. Hitler was one of history's true villains. Bush is just one of history's worst presidents. Villainy and incompetence aren't directly comparable.
I smell something burning, hope it's just my brains.
They're only dropping peppermints and daisy-chains
   So stuff my nose with garlic
   Coat my eyes with butter
   Fill my ears with silver
   Stick my legs in plaster
   Tell me lies about Vietnam.

hnumpah

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2006, 03:02:17 PM »
The best some of these BDS folks can come up with in trying to rationalize Bush = Hitler, is that we can no longer talk to foreign terrorists, without the call possibly being monitored, or red flags going up at the FBI if we were to check out a horde of Jihad made Easy, Bombmaking for Dummies , & How to hide among your neighbors 101 books.

So, let's see, I know this guy who has traveled extensively in the Middle East and makes calls overseas to Arabs in the Middle East; he visits web sites and checks out books at the library on subjects such as exotic weapons, poisons, explosive devices, organic chemistry, and firearms; he has a collection of books he picked up over the years from Palladin Press on the same subjects, as well as survival, urban warfare, sniping, terrorism, security, and several other subjects related to warfare or surviving after the apocolypse or whatever you want to call it.

Think I should call the FBI and turn myself in?

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2006, 06:48:46 PM »
I know this guy who has traveled extensively in the Middle East

Don't turn me in either, but should the FBI be prevented from looking ?

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2006, 07:11:28 PM »
I know this guy who has traveled extensively in the Middle East and makes calls overseas to Arabs in the Middle East; he visits web sites and checks out books at the library on subjects such as exotic weapons, poisons, explosive devices, organic chemistry, and firearms; he has a collection of books he picked up over the years from Palladin Press on the same subjects, as well as survival, urban warfare, sniping, terrorism, security, and several other subjects related to warfare or surviving after the apocolypse or whatever you want to call it.  Think I should call the FBI and turn myself in?[/color]

I don't see anything about Jihad made easy, and Islamic Terrorism is your Friend, so no, I see no reason.  Do you?  I have several firearms reference materials myself, though nothing related to terrorism.  Perhaps just keep focused on purchasing such books, vs checking anything out. 

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2006, 07:14:35 PM »
   I have always suspected that the Palidin Press is an FBI frount.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2006, 07:15:02 PM »

Excellent clarification, Plane

hnumpah

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2006, 08:54:29 PM »

To the point that they begin invading my privacy, no. When they begin monitoring my phone without a warrant or telling the library (or bookstore) they have to turn over records about what books I've checked out (or bought), or tell my internet provider they have to turn over records of my internet use, without a warrant, then it becomes a privacy issue.

You may be willing to give that up without a fight, in the name of security; I'm not.

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2006, 10:05:45 PM »
I think this is one more instance of the right wing's naivete.  In an ideal world where no government would ever dream of compiling lists of supporters and opponents, there's probably no reason to fear them snooping into your library records, phone calls or anything else.  Hell, they are only going to use it to catch bad guys, right?  Not a chance in hell that they'd be interested in blackmailing any political adversary they accidentally caught in an extramarital affair or checking out gay magazines behind the wife's back.  Not a chance in hell that your application for a government job would be affected by the opinions you voiced in private conversations either.

But think about it.  If there's no fear of government retaliation, why are there secret ballots?  Why not just vote on everything by open show of hands? 

A long time ago somebody figured out that democracy is fine, but the government does NOT have to know everything about you.  They are NOT as benevolent as some of our right-wing friends seem to think.  They are not above making lists and figuring out who is their kind of people and who is not.  So the right to privacy is fiercely guarded by those who care about real political freedom - - and tossed to the winds by those who do not.

hnumpah

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2006, 11:15:04 PM »
A long time ago somebody figured out that democracy is fine, but the government does NOT have to know everything about you.  They are NOT as benevolent as some of our right-wing friends seem to think.  They are not above making lists and figuring out who is their kind of people and who is not.  So the right to privacy is fiercely guarded by those who care about real political freedom - - and tossed to the winds by those who do not.

Perzactly.

Lanya

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2006, 11:19:50 PM »
I thought this was a truly conservative belief---one I agreed with, by the way---that the government should be kept out of our business, our privacy respected.  What happened with that?  Now Bush is talking about how he wanted to "re-invigorate" the Presidency.  Well, take the little blue pill, Mr. President. Leave us alone.
Planned Parenthood is America’s most trusted provider of reproductive health care.