Author Topic: Two films I have not yet seen that seem promising.  (Read 973 times)

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Two films I have not yet seen that seem promising.
« on: May 12, 2011, 12:11:10 PM »
http://www.imdb.com/video/imdb/vi3568211993/

In "The Beaver" Mel Gibson goes psycho and uses a beaver hand puppet with a Michael Caine accent to communicate.

http://www.indiewire.com/article/2011/05/05/review_caterpillar_makes_horror_out_of_wartime_propaganda

In "The Caterpillar" a Japanese soldier rapes a Chinese woman, loses his arms and legs, half his face and his voice, and returns to his wife. And yes, they have sex.

The actress who plays the wife got a major award in Berlin for this. Will there be an American remake about a US soldier?

The problem is finding an armless, legless guy to play the role.

Two film concepts more challenging than "The Return of Mother Fokker" at least.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

BSB

Re: Two films I have not yet seen that seem promising.
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2011, 01:41:00 PM »
>>loses his arms and legs, half his face and his voice, ............................................................................... Will there be an American remake about a US soldier?"<<

They made it 40 years ago. "Johnny Got His Gun", based on the novel with the same name.

BSB

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2011, 05:19:38 PM »
They mentioned this in the reviews, but the plot of this film is quite different, according to the reviews.

BSB

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2011, 10:01:50 PM »
XO, "They mentioned this in the reviews, but the plot of this film is quite different, according to the reviews."

I glossed over that review but didn't see "Johnny Got His Gun" mentioned.

Anyway, "Johnny Got His Gun", soldier comes homes, no limbs, no face, can't talk, can't see, finds a way to communicate with his nurse by tapping his head on the pillow. Decides to us himself for anti war-propaganda purposes by traveling around to different venues, country fairs etc., to be looked at. I'm sure you read the book if you didn't see the movie.

I went to see the movie, 1971, because there was a guy on the ward next to mine at Chelsea Navel Hospital, 1968, who had a Hemicorporectomy, or amputation at the waist. Extremely rare, I think there have only been around 40 of them. He wasn't a happy camper I can report. He asked several of us to kill him.

BSB

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2011, 01:00:58 AM »
The focus of "The Caterpillar" is the soldier's wife.
The Army proclaims the soldier to be a "heroic war god" and simply dumps him with his wife, and she has to take care of him: feed him, dress him, change his diapers, and have sex as well. So the beginning premise of both films starts out the same, but the focus of this film is on the wife rather than on the soldier.

As I said, it should be an interesting and probably uncomfortable film to watch. I expect I'll have to see it on DVD. Japanese films do not normally make it into theaters here in Miami.

The film was obviously made for a Japanese audience.

Some Japanese films are terrific. Others are utterly incomprehensible.
The most amusing was one about a single mother who ran a noodle shop, "Tampopo".

There is an excellent study of how to make ramen noodles and even how to eat them.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2011, 01:07:09 AM by Xavier_Onassis »

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2011, 06:01:05 PM »
I showed this film (tampopo)to my nephew and he can`t see this movie enough. it like office space it hits a nerve with some people.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2011, 09:16:52 PM »
The same woman who starred in Tampopo also made another film with the same group: I think it is called "A Taxing Woman".

It is a little harder to understand, because it points out funny stuff in the Japanese tax system, which is a bit more complicated than cooking and eating noodles.

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2011, 09:41:25 PM »
sounds familiar,I`ll check it out