Author Topic: That piss poor judgement is spreading  (Read 12603 times)

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
Re: That piss poor judgement is spreading
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2011, 07:04:38 PM »
Context please.  What cop killer were they embracing?

What's that? O' Reilly had no problem with Deval Patrick defending cop killers?

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2011, 07:11:59 PM »
Meanwhile O'Reilly has as a guest on his show numerous times a guy who believes Shakur and Jamal are innocent too.

Where is the outrage?

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2011, 07:16:26 PM »
Lets ask this again....what cop killer was this Patrick fella embracing, since obviously you can't be referring to someone defending another in a court of law, as part of their job.  And you can't be referring to his defending a board that released a cop killer, since it wasn't he who released anyone

Not sure where you're trying to go with this......unless its some deflection effort to get away from the point of this thread being about the Obama's piss poor judgement, and squat to do with free speech
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2011, 07:23:17 PM »
A Song For Assata
A song for Assata

A (common)
In the spirit of god.
In the spirit of the ancestors.
In the spirit of the black panthers.
In the spirit of assata shakur.
We make this movement towards freedom
For all those who have been oppressed, and all those in the struggle.
Yeah. yo, check it-

There were lights and sirens, gunshots firin
Cover your eyes as I describe a scene so violent
Seemed like a bad dream, she laid in a blood puddle
Blood bubbled in her chest, cold air brushed against open flesh
No room to rest, pain consumed each breath
Shot twice wit her hands up
Police questioned but shot before she answered
One panther lost his life, the other ran for his
Scandalous the police were as they kicked and beat her
Comprehension she was beyond, tryna hold on
To life. she thought she'd live with no arm
That's what it felt like, got to the hospital, eyes held tight
They moved her room to room-she could tell by the light
Handcuffed tight to the bed, through her skin it bit
Put guns to her head, every word she got hit
'who shot the trooper? ' they asked her
Put mace in her eyes, threatened to blast her
Her mind raced till things got still
Opened her eyes, realized she's next to her best friend who got killed
She got chills, they told her: that's where she would be next
Hurt mixed wit anger-survival was a reflex
They lied and denied visits from her lawyer
But she was buildin as they tried to destroy her
If it wasn't for this german nurse they woulda served her worse
I read this sister's story, knew that it deserved a verse
I wonder what would happen if that woulda been me?
All this shit so we could be free, so dig it, y'all.

(cee-lo vocals)
I'm thinkin' of assata, yes.
Listen to my love, assata, yes.
Your power and pride is beautiful.
May God bless your soul.

(common)
It seemed like the middle of the night when the law awakened her
Walkie-talkies cracklin, I see 'em when they takin her
Though she kinda knew,
What made the ride peaceful was the trees and the sky was blue
Arrived to middlesex prison about six inna morning
Uneasy as they pushed her to the second floor in
A cell, one cot, no window, facing hell.
Put in the basement of a prison wit all males
And the smell of misery, seatless toilets and centipedes
She'd exercise, (paint? ,) and begin to read
Two years inna hole. her soul grew weak
Away from people so long she forgot how to speak
She discovered frredom is a unspoken sound
And a wall is a wall and can be broken down
Found peace in the panthers she went on trial with
One of the brothers she had a child with
The foulness they would feed her, hopin she's lose her seed
Held tight, knowing the fight would live through this seed
In need of a doctor, from her stomach she's bleed
Out of this situation a girl was conceived
Separated from her, left to mother the revolution
And lactated to attack hate
Cause federal and state was built for a black fate
Her emptiness was filled with beatings and court dates
They fabricated cases, hoping one would stick
And said she robbed places that didn't exist
In the midst of threats on her life and being caged with aryan whites
Through dark halls of hate she carried the light
I wonder what would happen if that woulda been me?
All of this shit so we could be free.
Yeah, I often wonder what would happen if that woulda been me?
All of this shit so we could be free, so dig it, people-

(cee-lo)
I'm thinkin' of assata, yeah.
Listen to my love, assata, yeah.
Your power and pride, so beautiful...
May God bless your soul.
Oooh.

(common)
Yo
From north carolina her grandmother would bring
News that she had had a dream
Her dreams always meant what they needed them to mean
What made them real was the action in between
She dreamt that assata was free in they old house in queens
The fact that they always came true was the thing
Assata had been convicted of a murder she couldna done
Medical evidence shown she couldna shot the gun
It's time for her to see the sun from the other side
Time for her daughter to be by her mother's side
Time for this beautiful woman to become soft again
Time for her to breathe, and not be told how or when
She untangled the chains and escaped the pain
How she broke out of prison I could never explain
And even to this day they try to get to her
But she's free with political asylum in cuba.

(cee-lo vocals)
I'm thinkin' of assata, yeah.
Listen to my love, assata, yeah.
We're molded from the same mud, assata.
We share the same blood, assata, yeah.
May God bless your soul.
May God bless your soul.
Oooh.

(assata)
Freedom! you askin me about freedom. askin me about freedom?
I'll be honest with you. I know a whole more about what freedom isn't
Than about what it is, cause I've never been free.
I can only share my vision with you of the future, about what freedom is.
Uhh, the way I see it, freedom is-- is the right to grow, is the right to
Blossom.
Freedom is -is the right to be yourself, to be who you are,
To be who you wanna be, to do what you wanna do. (fade out)

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2011, 07:29:04 PM »
Lets ask this again....what cop killer was this Patrick fella embracing, since obviously you can't be referring to someone defending another in a court of law, as part of their job.  And you can't be referring to his defending a board that released a cop killer, since it wasn't he who released anyone

Not sure where you're trying to go with this......unless its some deflection effort to get away from the point of this thread being about the Obama's piss poor judgement, and squat to do with free speech

Oh yeah Patrick was the go to guy for the NAACP defense fund. Got all kinds of cop killers off death row.

So let me get this right. Patrick gets a pass because it was his job, meanwhile Common gets slammed for practicing his art?

????

BSB

« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2011, 07:32:54 PM »
Actually Sirs it would appear that the one exercising poor judgement on this issue is you. No surprie there though.

As for O'Reilly, I happen to like him. But I know who and what O'Reilly is. He is a guy that will openly admit he isn't above using commentary as a means of loading up his bank account.

BSB

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2011, 07:38:33 PM »

Oh yeah Patrick was the go to guy for the NAACP defense fund. Got all kinds of cop killers off death row.

So let me get this right. Patrick gets a pass because it was his job, meanwhile Common gets slammed for practicing his art?

Pretty much.  But hey, if you can show me Patrick embracing cop killers as an art & passion, vs doing their job, he's definately on my criticising hit list

Actually Sirs it would appear that the one exercising poor judgement on this issue is you. No surprie there though.

BSB

Well, You'd definately be the expert on poor judgement, with your anti-waterboarding rants.  No surprise there

Sirs
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2011, 07:48:24 PM »
  I think the President can have sympathy wherever he likes , and he can seek sympathy wherever he likes , if this is done publicly I can use this as part of the foundation of my opinion of him.

Thank you first couple, for the insight.

Of course if reveiling his thoughts costs him votes , that might be poor judgement .

Kramer

• Repeal ObamaCare
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2011, 07:56:32 PM »
  I think the President can have sympathy wherever he likes , and he can seek sympathy wherever he likes , if this is done publicly I can use this as part of the foundation of my opinion of him.

Thank you first couple, for the insight.

Of course if reveiling his thoughts costs him votes , that might be poor judgement .

That indeed is the bottom line, but my opinion about him and Michelle was formed well over two years ago so no matter what he does now matters not to me, whether it's good or bad. And so it goes for millions of other voters out there, their mind is made up on him. That's why he can kill terrorists all day long but in 2012 he won't get my vote. I'm just not that dumb to believe his move to the middle is who he is. This nation can't take 4 more years of him...

BSB

« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2011, 08:01:21 PM »
You're wrong again Sirs. Just plain out of it on every issue. And when someone shows you you're wrong, or missing the point, you just keep right on going. Amazing. I was going to say like a 5 year old but I've never seen even a 5 year old do what you do. I tell you, BT has the patience of a Buddha to put up with your bull day after day.

BSB

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: May 14, 2011, 08:02:54 PM »
Oh, the irony     8)

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: May 14, 2011, 08:05:33 PM »
You're wrong again Sirs. .....................................BSB

Isn't being wrong the human condition?

I respect your study of Bhuddism , what have you learned of the nature of illusion as you studyed ?

BSB

« Reply #27 on: May 14, 2011, 08:55:24 PM »
"During my 40 yeas of teaching I have said nothing."  The Buddha

"As soon as you open your mouth, you are wrong."  The Buddha

Problem is Plane, nothing will appear on the page if you don't type something. Further, Plane,  many of the posters in here are way out of line making a civil conversation impossible.  That's one of the reasons there are only a few of us left. Further still, I'm not going to bend over backwards to accommodate some snivelling, child like, poster.  What purpose would that serve in a forum this small?  If there were 20 active posters in here you could put up with a few jerks, but in here it only takes one or two bad apples.

Nothing I just said is revolutionary. Everyone who tries this place out knows it's an accurate assessment. They try for a bit, then leave.  I should stop trying.

As for illusion? I'm not going to bother with that. You and I would just disagree.

BSB

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: May 14, 2011, 10:53:02 PM »
I am not certain that we would disagree that illusions are very common occurances.

Perhaps we would disagree on the natural reciprocity of disagreement , If you think I am wrong then I must equally think you are wrong, and in that respect we could both be correct by both of us being wrong.

I realise that some people are playing "king of the m ountain" but I am not , I want to play a "win win" which is not a stalemate , but a real mutual gain.

I guess you are right about the small size of the community here , but a few of the ones we have are pretty interesting. What I miss are the guys that were willing to really give me a workout.

Sirs isn't much good for giveing me a workout because his POV is not diffrent enough from mine , "debate" which starts out with perfect agreement has no where to go, it is a stalled vehickle.

I am more often than not in sympathy with the right politicly , so what am I going to do if we suffer a dearth of Leftists ? Centrists ? Libertairians ?

This is a quandry for me , I don't know how to attract more friendly opposition, I don't really know what to do to satisfy and keep what we still have.

BSB

« Reply #29 on: May 14, 2011, 11:59:41 PM »
Look, Plane, I'm not very politically motivated. I was born to Republican parents so I registered as a Republican. I joined the Army, fought in a war, and returned interested in what was better not what what was right or left. I backed Republicans in the voting both because I believe in the two party system. I walked away from Bush the son not because of politics but because Iraq was bone dumb. It was purely because we were in the shit because of 9/11 and I was out to win. I knew Iraq had zero to do with 9/11 or any future 9/11s in the short run. Who knows about the long run, anything can happen, but in the short run we had Iraq locked up. Why the f___ take units like the 5th Special Forces, with its history of fighting in counter insurgencies, and put them in Iraq? Bone fucking dumb. Then of course because I thought the war was dumb and said so people who need to place others in a box put me in the left box.  I thought ok, fine, you want to be that shallow I'll play along. 

Anyway, you should know all this, you were in crocats group. I never argued the lefts point in there.

So, give you a work out? Not my thing concerning politics. I think something over, take a position, and if you don't agree, too bad, I haven't got the time. I might try to explain my position once or twice, but after that, see ya later.

Now, you want a work out on Buddhism vs Christianity, great. The problem there though is that your religion is your life in many ways. It runs too deep in you. It's an immovable object. How long are you going to debate me as try to explain to you my point that God is all in your head, and beyond that he doesn't exist and never did? You wouldn't consider that, in an honest way, for 2 seconds. And I wouldn't blame you.

Anyway, I do believe you like to learn. So do I. On that you and I agree without question. I do believe you are concerned about people, the poor, the downtrodden, etc., and on that we agree. Much beyond that we speak a very different langue and come at things from very different directions.

So, that's my story, and I'm sticking to it. Further, I almost fell asleep writing it, so I won't be writing another one.

BSB

BTW, Sirs, you're a moron.