Author Topic: Press comes up bust on Palin emails  (Read 2747 times)

Kramer

• Repeal ObamaCare
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Press comes up bust on Palin emails
« on: June 13, 2011, 12:02:38 AM »
too bad for the Drive-by media -- they strike out on this junket!!

American Way: Sarah Palin email frenzy backfires on her media antagonists

The trove of more than 13,000 emails detailing almost every aspect of Sarah Palin’s governorship of Alaska, released late on Friday, paints a picture of her as an idealistic, conscientious, humorous and humane woman slightly bemused by the world of politics.

One can only assume that the Left-leaning editors who dispatched teams of reporters to remote Juneau, the Alaskan capital, to pore over the emails in the hope of digging up a scandal are now viewing the result as a rather poor return on their considerable investment.

If anything, Mrs Palin seems likely to emerge from the scrutiny of the 24,000 pages, contained in six boxes and weighing 275 pounds, with her reputation considerably enhanced. As a blogger at Powerline noted, the whole saga might come to be viewed as “an embarrassment for legacy media”.

Mrs Palin, who suddenly resigned as Alaska governor in July 2009, is no longer a public official. She holds no position in the Republican party. Despite the media hubbub that surrounds her every move, she is unlikely to be a candidate for the White House in 2012.

She is, however, viewed with a kind of horrified fascination by many in the media, who faithfully records everything she says and does while at the same time decrying her as ignorant and even evil.

Whether or not she runs for the White House – and the solid consensus among Republican leaders is that she won’t – the scramble over the Palin emails confirms her status as a pivotal figure in the race to challenge President Barack Obama next year.

It comes at a moment when the battle for the Republican nomination appears set to be transformed by the late entry of Governor Rick Perry of Texas, a social conservative and Palin ally who could almost immediately leap to the front of a currently lacklustre field.

Sources close to Mr Perry have confirmed that he is “highly likely” to announce a presidential run in the coming days. Intriguingly, they have also hinted at a something they believe would increase immeasurably Mr Perry’s chances of winning the White House – an endorsement from Mrs Palin.

On policy, Mrs Palin and Mr Perry, who succeeded George W Bush in 2000 and has since become the longest-serving governor in Texas history, are in almost perfect alignment. In addition, they are both beloved of the Tea Party, highly suspicious of Washington and physically attractive (Mr Perry is often likened to the Marlboro Man), charismatic figures.

Mrs Palin has repeatedly said that she believes Mr Obama can be defeated and that she will do everything to achieve that. With her popularity among independent voters very low, despite the intensity of her core support, throwing her weight behind a stronger candidate would be a better way of preserving her political capital and earning power than being one of the losing candidates in the Republican primaries.

The notion of Mrs Palin as White House kingmaker would have seemed wildly improbable if anyone had raised it before August 2008.

It was then that she was catapulted to international fame by Senator John McCain’s surprise decision to make her his vice-presidential running mate. Her reaction? “Can you flippinbelieveit?!”

This was a world, as the emails reveal, in which the then Alaska governor fretted about things like there being alcohol in her official residence, that might be a temptation to the teenage friends of her children.

In May 2007, she sought help from her staff in keeping the alcohol in the governor’s mansion away from young people, stating that it should be boxed up and “removed from the People’s House” – both for practical reasons and as a statement about her administration.

“Here’s my thinking: with so many kids and teens coming and going in that house, esp during this season of celebrations for young people – proms, graduations, etc, I want to send the msg that we can be – and ‘the People’s House’ needs to be – alcohol-free. There’s a lot of booze there – its too accessible and may be too tempting to any number of all those teens coming and going.”

In a February 2007 exchange, one adviser recommended that when she was in Washington she meet Pete Rouse, a Senate official who had lived in Alaska. “He’s now chief-of-staff for a guy named Barack Obama,” the aide wrote, adding that Mr Rouse “wants to help Alaska however he can”. Far from shrinking at the idea of conferring with a Democrat, Mrs Palin replied: “I’m game to meet him.”

The emails will finally confirm – in all but the darkest recesses of the world of Left-wing conspiracy theories – that Mrs Palin is, in fact, the mother of her youngest son Trig, who has Down’s Syndrome.

After relentless promotion by Andrew Sullivan, the British blogger who now works for Daily Beast/Newsweek, of the proposition that the mother was in fact Mrs Palin’s daughter Bristol, a teenager at the time, the subject had become part of mainstream debate.

The emails show Mrs Palin’s determination to protect Bristol but also her desire for a degree of privacy. “I wish I could shame people into ceasing such gossip about a teen, but I can’t figure out how to do that,” she wrote.
Communications from her children and husband make her family appear close and loving.

An email from Bristol, referring to her younger sister, said: “Hello Mother, Um, I’m sitting in library and I really thing you need to get Piper a cell phone!! Wouldn’t that be so adorable! She could text me while she was in class!! It’s a done deal right?! Perfect! Ok, I will talk to you later and I need some cash flow! Love ya!”

To an extent, the emails remind Americans of the person they saw take the state at the Republican National Convention in Minnesota nearly three years ago – refreshing, plain-speaking, open and uncomplicated.

Since then, her image has hardened into one of a brittle, even paranoid, politician who seethes with resentment, feels aggrieved and entitled and is intent on pursuing celebrity even at the expense of her family.

Mrs Palin as a person has become so remote that it is hard for to assess how much, if any, of that widely-held caricature has a basis in truth. The email release could mark the end of a chapter of what conservatives have termed “Palin Derangement Syndrome”. Her enemies in the media appear to have overplayed their hand.

Expressing a sentiment that will resonate with many, Greta Van Susteren, a Fox News anchor who is close to Mrs Palin, argued that she had been subjected to “a media colonoscopy” by news organisations on “a mission to destroy”.
With a film entitled The Undefeated, chronicling Mrs Palin’s rise to prominence, about to air, the former Alaska governor is doubtless hoping that harsher perceptions of her can be blunted.

Probably the person who has damaged her most, apart from perhaps the CBS anchor Katie Couric who elicited blank stares when she asked what Mrs Palin read, was Tina Fey, the Saturday Night Live comedienne and impersonator.

It was Fey who seared into the popular imagination the Palin phrase: “I can see Russia from my house!” Mrs Palin had never said any such thing but it encapsulated the feeling that she was frivolous and lacked any foreign policy credentials.

Three days later, a staffer called Patrick Galvin emailed Mrs Palin saying: “My suggestion is you offer to go on SNL and play Tina Fey, and you interview her as she plays you.”

Fey’s impersonation was so powerful that the two women are inseparable in some minds. Fox News, for which Mrs Palin works on a lucrative contract as a commentator, recently aired a picture of fey instead of Mrs Palin by mistake.
Perhaps now might the time for Mrs Palin to take up Mr Galvin’s suggestion.

Toby Harnden’s American Way column is published in the Sunday Telegraph each week.

Tags: Alaska, American Way, Barack Obama, Bristol Palin, George W Bush, John McCain, Patrick Galvin, Peter Rouse, Rick Perry, Sarah Palin, Tina Fey, Willow Palin

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/tobyharnden/100091820/american-way-sarah-palin-email-frenzy-backfires-on-her-media-antagonists/

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
Re: Press comes up bust on Palin emails
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2011, 03:05:18 AM »
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Christians4LessGvt

• View Profile
    • "The Religion Of Peace"
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2011, 11:25:23 AM »

Sarah Palin email frenzy backfires on her media antagonistsThe trove of more than 13,000 emails detailing almost every aspect of Sarah Palin's
governorship of Alaska, released late on Friday, paints a picture of her as an idealistic,
conscientious, humorous and humane woman slightly bemused by the world of politics.
One can only assume that the Left-leaning editors who dispatched teams of reporters
to remote Juneau, the Alaskan capital, to pore over the emails in the hope of digging
up a scandal are now viewing the result as a rather poor return on their considerable
investment. Communications from her children and husband make her family appear
close and loving.

Ha Ha!

"Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!" - Ronald Reagan - June 12, 1987

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2011, 11:40:40 AM »
The most amateurish cartoon we have ever seen here.

Dumb. Estimated IQ of the creator: definitely below room temperature.

Palin probably did  not even write most of those e mails attributed to her, but not one is quoted in any way.

I fail to see how reading her e-mails could "backfire".

She has already revealed herself to be a self-aggrandizing dingbat, interested mostly in celebrity and money.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2011, 11:50:09 AM by Xavier_Onassis »
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Kramer

• Repeal ObamaCare
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2011, 12:01:37 PM »
The most amateurish cartoon we have ever seen here.

Dumb. Estimated IQ of the creator: definitely below room temperature.

Palin probably did  not even write most of those e mails attributed to her, but not one is quoted in any way.

I fail to see how reading her e-mails could "backfire".

She has already revealed herself to be a self-aggrandizing dingbat, interested mostly in celebrity and money.

look like here 15 minutes of fame is going on about an hour now! Look like you were wrong again about your nemesis!

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2011, 01:27:35 PM »
Palin will continue to profit from her celebrity. Not from me, though.

Note that no one has quoted one single word of wisdom from either of her ghostwritten books as any sort of solution to problems that face the country. She just makes stupid quips about guns and other rightwing nonsense.

Will Palin or Paris Hilton vanish from the awareness of the public first?

She is not my "nemesis". I have never met her. She is just a dingbat. Nothing she has done has affected me in any way, nor is it likely that she ever will.

Christians4LessGvt

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2011, 01:50:22 PM »
Note that no one has quoted one single word of wisdom from either of her ghostwritten books
as any sort of solution to problems that face the country.

I'm puzzled as to why anyone cares about her emails?

The press and the Left claim she is an idiot but they cant seem
to get enough of her.....they have people assigned to read her e-mails,
they have people camped out beside her home in Alaska, they chase after her bus
funny....they are so unrelenting in their pursuit to take down an "idiot".

Why don't we reveal all the other politician's emails?

This is absurd.

I think it does make the media look absolutely moronic.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2011, 03:32:29 PM »
I have not read her e mails, nor do I wish to.
They write about Palin because some people like to read about her, just like they like to read about the Kardassians.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2011, 03:46:13 PM »
Note that no one has quoted one single word of wisdom from either of her ghostwritten books
as any sort of solution to problems that face the country

I'm puzzled as to why anyone cares about her emails?

The press and the Left claim she is an idiot but they cant seem
to get enough of her.....they have people assigned to read her e-mails,
they have people camped out beside her home in Alaska, they chase after her bus
funny....they are so unrelenting in their pursuit to take down an "idiot".

Why don't we reveal all the other politician's emails?

This is absurd.

I think it does make the media look absolutely moronic.

So true, so true.  Not to mention the continued reinforcement of the predominant bias.  Are they that scared of her??
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Christians4LessGvt

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2011, 04:22:29 PM »
They write about Palin because some people like to read about her,
just like they like to read about the Kardassians.

So it's like Paris Hilton uh? and  there is absolutely no political agenda here?
Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha !

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2011, 04:24:42 PM »
Literary Dementia

That loud crash you just heard off in the distance was the New York Times finally hitting the bottom of the barrel with an embarrassing but expected thump.

Having long ago turned its back on objective journalism to become the mouthpiece for liberal ideology, the Democrat party, and corrupt unions, it was still somewhat of a surprise to see the compromised editors of the paper do something which might cause Anthony Weiner to recoil from its unseemly request.

On Friday, June 10th, the State of Alaska released more than 24,000 of former Governor Sarah Palin?s emails. A Democrat recently told me that some liberals get more satisfaction out of a Palin ?mistake,? or in smearing her and her family with more political mud than in the actual killing of Bin Laden. Apparently.

The New York Times -- under the headline ?Help Us Review The Sarah Palin E-Mail Records? -- has just asked its readers to help its reporters to ?identify interesting and newsworthy emails, people, and events that we may want to highlight.? Interesting and newsworthy being nothing more than liberal code for anything which will inflict further pain and suffering upon Sarah Palin and her family.

At first, I honestly thought it was a joke. Maybe David Letterman and Jon Stewart?s writers got sick of being mindless servants to the left and decided to have some fun at the expense of the Grey Lady. But no. Those writers still do the bidding of the Messiah in the White House and The New York Times is beyond serious in arming its readers with pitch forks and torches as it eagerly sends its virtual mob out in search of the conservative monster. (It should be noted -- again predictably -- that the equally left-wing Washington Post initiated its own Sarah Palin email witch hunt)

Maybe next, The New York Times will ask its readers to become informants against their neighbors or even family members.
"Tell us," the next New York Times headline might read,
"who is not using "green" light bulbs,
"who is not driving a hybrid vehicle,
"who is sending their children to charter schools,
"who just ate at McDonald's, and
"who especially on your block or in your neighborhood, still believes in traditional values."

That headline and that request just seems like the next logical step in the New York Times spiraling flight from dignity and into literary dementia.

I don?t seem to remember The New York Times asking its readers
to review the 2000 plus pages of Obama?s Healthcare bill,
or
to review the emails sent from the thuggish Service Employees International Union,
or
to help it get access to the names on the White House visitor logs team Obama is trying to hide,
or
to try and find anyone who might be able to prove if Obama actually had a higher G.P.A. in college than Joe Biden.

No. Facts and relevant information no longer interest The New York Times. Not when they can create an army of snitches to try and further harm the former governor of Alaska.

Surely, there must be one person at that paper shocked and humiliated by this request. Just one.

A request that is as pathetic as it is chilling.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2011, 08:48:53 PM »
No one needs to discredit Palin. She has herself to do that.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2011, 09:01:09 PM »
And yet, the MSM and left are literally acting like the keystone cops in trying to do it themselves.  Literary dementia.  Go figure

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2011, 09:37:28 PM »
No one needs to discredit Palin. She has herself to do that.

When handed thousands of communications between her freinds family and employees, one would expect a real portrait to emerge from all that history.

Unless it makes her look good , that sort ofd stuff will never be published in the MSM.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2011, 10:49:54 PM »
I don't see where anything backfired on anyone.

Palin's emails are apparently about as exciting as her trash.

And that cartoon is hideously amateurish in every way.