Author Topic: Bush Library/SMU Say FU to Property Rights  (Read 4706 times)

Brassmask

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Bush Library/SMU Say FU to Property Rights
« on: January 11, 2007, 11:43:05 AM »
Report of mysterious break-in on presidential library site

04:58 PM CST on Wednesday, January 10, 2007

By BYRON HARRIS / WFAA-TV

Also Online

• Residents refuse to move from presidential library site
Eviction, mystery and accusations are the latest events in the advance of the proposed Bush presidential library at SMU.

Today federal agents marched in this morning with eviction notices in hand.

The last two residents of the University Gardens condominiums got orders to leave this morning.

But not before a mysterious break-in last night.

Three days ago Gary Getton showed us some of his legal papers in his ongoing fight with SMU over eviction from the condo he rents.

Last night, he says his property was burglarized.

All that was stolen, he says, were his documents.

He's suspicious.

"We own a percentage of the condos and that's why we're staying and fighting pretty much," he said.

Today, Getton got a notice to evict the premises.

So did Gary Vodicka, who lives a few doors away and owns four of the condos at University Gardens.

Vodicka is suing SMU over the way it obtained the property.

Now, as the university tears down dwellings near the site, he points out that he owned his condos outright.

Although a court decision has allowed the evictions to continue, he feels he's had no say in a decision over his property.

"They've known for four or five years they've wanted to put the Bush library here. They knocked on my door and handed me this writ of possession saying they want possession of my home," he added.

Gary Vodicka has appealed his case.

But he points out that even if he wins his appeal, his condos will be the only building standing among a large field of rubble.

He says SMU has offered him $75 a square foot for his property and that isn't enough.

http://www.wfaa.com/sharedcontent/dws/wfaa/latestnews/stories/wfaa070110_lj_harris.29258ef0.html#

Mucho

Re: Bush Library/SMU Say FU to Property Rights
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2007, 01:22:47 PM »

Universe Prince

• Of course liberty isn't safe; but it is good.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2007, 06:58:52 PM »
I thought you didn't like property rights, Brass. I thought you wanted government to have the power to take property as it sees fit. Have you changed your mind? Or are you celebrating the government's flagrant disregard of property rights?
Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever.
--Hieronymus Karl Frederick Baron von Munchausen ("The Adventures of Baron Munchausen" [1988])--

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2007, 08:34:07 PM »
The USA needs a Juniorbush Library like we all need a dose of clap.
There is no parking lot that would serve a purpose less noble than a Juniorbush Library.

One shelf would hold every book this  clown has read in his lifetime.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Lanya

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2007, 01:40:45 AM »
Bush will get his library.  The university will probably rue the day they agreed to have it there but he'll get his SMU library.   It's something presidents are due, you see.  And he'll get his....
Planned Parenthood is America’s most trusted provider of reproductive health care.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2007, 01:50:35 AM »
One shelf would hold every book this  clown has read in his lifetime.

You learn something new everyday.

I did not know that a presidential library was supposed to house former presidents book of the moth club collection.

Silly me, i thought it was to house the paper trail from their administration.

Brassmask

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2007, 12:38:50 PM »
I thought you didn't like property rights, Brass. I thought you wanted government to have the power to take property as it sees fit. Have you changed your mind? Or are you celebrating the government's flagrant disregard of property rights?

I dare you to produce a quote from me where I advocate the government seizing property.

I'm pointing out to those who love Bush and profess to worship property rights that Bush is not observing those rights with any form of dignity.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2007, 12:50:56 PM »
I'm pointing out to those who love Bush and profess to worship property rights that Bush is not observing those rights with any form of dignity.

Your beef rightly belongs with SMU. They are the organization bidding to house the library. I don't see Bush being directly involved in this effort.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2007, 01:41:10 PM »

Your beef rightly belongs with SMU. They are the organization bidding to house the library. I don't see Bush being directly involved in this effort.

Nor by "those who love Bush"
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Brassmask

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2007, 03:40:53 PM »

It's for the Bush library.  He's involved.

Brassmask

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2007, 03:42:17 PM »
Nor by "those who love Bush"

Nor do I hear those folk denouncing the revocation of property rights to make way for the Bush library.

Care to weigh in?  You silence only indicates that you favor the actions taken to make way for a Bush library.

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2007, 04:23:46 PM »
Nor do I hear those folk denouncing the revocation of property rights to make way for the Bush library.

I'm against "Eminent Domain" no matter which party is pushing it this week (both major parties have supported it in the past).

I have already stated as much.
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2007, 05:40:52 PM »
Nor do I hear those folk denouncing the revocation of property rights to make way for the Bush library.  Care to weigh in?  You silence only indicates that you favor the actions taken to make way for a Bush library

Brass, I've spoken up countless times in criticisms & condemnations regarding Bush, so your notion that I or anyone else who haven't responded to this as being "Bush lovers", simply keeps degrading your credibility quotient, that much further.  So for the record, and Brass's likelyhood of ignoring yet again, any University or Government enterprise that takes over private property, in the name of Emminent Domain is to be condemned.  Lemme know when you actually have Bush prints on this one, and not just his name being used by the University
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Brassmask

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2007, 05:56:05 PM »
It's his library!!!  How much more has to be said?!?!?!?!

However, thank you for condemning the actions.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2007, 06:05:32 PM »
It's his library!!!  How much more has to be said?!?!?!?!

How about Bush approving SMU efforts.  (note; his silence doesn't provide "Bush prints", so try something more tangible, vs the ususal nefarious conspiratorial implications)