Author Topic: My Perestroika  (Read 687 times)

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
My Perestroika
« on: June 29, 2011, 02:53:37 PM »
The PBS documentary show POV ran a great film last night on the last Soviet generation that grew up in the 80's and 90's. They interviewed five class classmates from School No. 57 in Moscow and compared their lives now with extensive home movie footage taken by their parents. The interviewees are a HS History prof and his wife, an elementary schoolteacher, a man who sells fancy shirts and ties in his own chain of stores, a woman who services a supplier of billiard tables, and a rock musician. Each has a different story, but they all discuss life from the Brezhnev days, through Perestroika and Yeltsin to the present.

I found it very interesting and enlightening.

I recall reading article after article in things like the Readers Digest about how life was an eternal gloomy winter in Moscow, where no one ever smiled or had any fun at all. By and large, each of these people describe their childhood nostalgically as happy and wonderful. Life today seems ambiguous and somewhat confusing, but of course, with free speech.

http://video.pbs.org/video/1999551405

"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Kramer

• Repeal ObamaCare
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
Re: My Perestroika
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2011, 09:54:58 PM »
I guess they missed interviewing all the people that exited the country. Nobody leaves for no good reason. I know people that left and they spoke of hardship and pain. If those people had it so good then maybe they were Brezneves relatives or cronies.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
Re: My Perestroika
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2011, 12:26:55 AM »
I simply said that it was informative and worth watching. You can remain ignorant if you so desire.

No one was related to any politicians.

If you were to interview people who left the US for Canada or Australia or anywhere else, you would also find a lot of people who were not happy here. This was about Russians who stayed and their lives.The issue of leaving the country forever was not mentioned. The history prof and his wife came to the US for a visit, and are now living on the Kola Peninsula.

It is unusual to see a documentary on average people and how they fit into history. There was no particular political bias stressed one way or another. One of the people said he had no plans to vote in the election at all.

"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."