Author Topic: When will Conservatives say enough is enough?  (Read 1076 times)

Kramer

• Repeal ObamaCare
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
When will Conservatives say enough is enough?
« on: July 14, 2011, 07:43:39 PM »
Jerry Brown signs bill requiring schools to teach gay history

Gov. Jerry Brown has signed legislation requiring public schools to include the contributions of gay and lesbian people in their curriculum, making California the first state to adopt such a requirement.

The legislation, authored by Sen. Mark Leno, D-San Francisco, was approved in the Legislature along party lines, with Democrats in favor and Republicans opposed. The governor's office announced this morning that Brown had signed the bill.

Senate Bill 48 requires public instruction in social sciences to include the role and contributions of lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender Americans, as well as people with disabilities and members of other cultural groups.

It would prohibit teaching from textbooks or other instructional materials that reflect adversely on people because of their sexual orientation.

"History should be honest," the Democratic governor said in a written statement. "This bill revises existing laws that prohibit discrimination in education and ensures that the important contributions of Americans from all backgrounds and walks of life are included in our history books. It represents an important step forward for our state, and I thank Senator Leno for his hard work on this historic legislation."

Leno's Senate Bill 48 is similar to a proposal that was approved by the Legislature in 2006 but vetoed by then Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger.

"Today we are making history in California by ensuring that our textbooks and instructional materials no longer exclude the contributions of LGBT Americans," Leno said in a written statement.

"Denying LGBT people their rightful place in history gives our young people an inaccurate and incomplete view of the world around them," Leno added. "I am pleased Governor Brown signed the FAIR Education Act and I thank him for recognizing that the LGBT community, its accomplishments and its ongoing efforts for first-class citizenship are important components of California's history."

Categories: Bills (2011-2012 session) , Gov. Jerry Brown

Read more: http://blogs.sacbee.com/capitolalertlatest/2011/07/jerry-brown-schools-gay-history-senate-bill-48.html#ixzz1S7eDqAVJ

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
Re: When will Conservatives say enough is enough?
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2011, 08:15:04 PM »
actually your subject post has a valid point.conservatives has often been extremely slow to respond to situation they don`t approve.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2011, 08:45:05 PM »
  What is the important to know part of Gay history?

Kramer

• Repeal ObamaCare
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2011, 09:24:54 PM »

Ask XO!

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2011, 09:44:38 PM »

Ask XO!

There see? your and my education sadly empty there.

Kramer

• Repeal ObamaCare
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2011, 10:08:38 PM »

Ask XO!

There see? your and my education sadly empty there.

I simply believe a liberal might be able to answer your question. For the life of me I don't know the answer.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2011, 12:13:01 AM »
All this is saying is, I imagine, that figures in the past who were known to be gay (Leonardo Da Vinci, for example) would be identified as having been gay in history books, rather than having this concealed.

I doubt that much of this will be recognized until it is brought into the light.

I have no particular special knowledge of this, and wonder why anyone would think I did.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Kramer

• Repeal ObamaCare
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2011, 12:36:27 AM »
All this is saying is, I imagine, that figures in the past who were known to be gay (Leonardo Da Vinci, for example) would be identified as having been gay in history books, rather than having this concealed.

I doubt that much of this will be recognized until it is brought into the light.

I have no particular special knowledge of this, and wonder why anyone would think I did.

yeah but normal people just don't give a shit one way or the other. I mean really, so Da Vinci took it up the ass BFD!

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2011, 02:34:10 AM »
it add more detail in history. like in military history alot of the more effective soldiers tend to be gay.so historicly deny gay in the military is not a good thing.

1st governer of new york might be a transvestite,

hey ! I just stumbled why gay history is important. these little tidbit help people learn history.
kramer would never of talk about davinci if the subject of gays wasn`t in it.. it made him learn history.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2011, 05:30:29 AM »
  I thought someone would bring up Walt Whitman Oliver Wilde or someone elese we knew for real was Homosexual.
   There isn't much to support the contention that Leonardo Da Vinchi is Gay, and the reason we think the Spartans were all gay soldiers is that their loving friends in Athens accused them so.

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2011, 09:35:16 AM »
I kinda thought the sheer volume was kinda suspect.meaning it`s not like thery can only be gay to join. so maybe a prison type survival situation was factored. .I always thought peoople today have a very nieve concept of the word voluntary

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2011, 11:29:01 AM »
It is pretty well documented how Sparta was organized.

Being gay in Athens was not seen as normal, but neither was it taboo.

Plato was gay, and so was Aristotle.

It is no different that mentioning who was left-handed, except for the religious taboos, after all.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Kramer

• Repeal ObamaCare
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2011, 11:31:36 AM »
It is pretty well documented how Sparta was organized.

Being gay in Athens was not seen as normal, but neither was it taboo.

Plato was gay, and so was Aristotle.

It is no different that mentioning who was left-handed, except for the religious taboos, after all.

Maybe Gov. Browneye should JERK you out of retirement and you could become the states HEAD Gay Teacher.