Author Topic: micropower  (Read 2095 times)

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
micropower
« on: July 17, 2011, 09:38:35 PM »

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
Re: micropower
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2011, 11:25:43 PM »
This, of course, makes perfect sense.
Unwanted heat is both counterproductive and wasteful.

But I note that Limbaugh is against alternative lightbulbs, because wasting electricity on incandescent bulbs is somehow a very, very important freedom.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2011, 11:39:32 PM »
This, of course, makes perfect sense.
Unwanted heat is both counterproductive and wasteful.

But I note that Limbaugh is against alternative lightbulbs, because wasting electricity on incandescent bulbs is somehow a very, very important freedom.

I think the incandescent lightbulb controversy is about choice. And judging by the amount of time it takes a cfl to reach full brightness it could be a safety issue.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2011, 02:07:29 AM »
 And judging by the amount of time it takes a cfl to reach full brightness it could be a safety issue.

I hardly think so. I have almost entirely cfl bulbs in my house and they come on immediately.

This is just an issue Limbaugh took up because he needs to keep stupid people riled up.

I don't rule out the possibility that he is acting on orders of Big Oil and Big Coal, to whom electricity is a profit factor.

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2011, 02:18:04 AM »
I use both.
I mainly use cfl bulbs,but if I ever need maximum lighting for seeing, i got a few lamps with incandesents.

seriously those incandesent crank out better range of visible light. it`s very noticable

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2011, 03:17:07 AM »
I hardly think so. I have almost entirely cfl bulbs in my house and they come on immediately.

Anywhere from 15-30 secs to come to full brightness. I wouldn't use one leading down the basement stairs, that's for sure.

What's Rush have to do with this anyways?

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2011, 08:32:32 AM »
Anywhere from 15-30 secs to come to full brightness. I wouldn't use one leading down the basement stairs, that's for sure.

Many of the newer CFLs come on right away at nearly full brightness, and reach full brightness in just about 5 seconds.

However, because of the inconvenience of the positioning of the light fixture in the basement staircase (need to use a ladder on the stairs, which is an even more serious safety concern), I chose to install an LED bulb there, even though it is *really* expensive. If it lasts the advertised number of hours, I should never have to change it again. :-)
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2011, 11:15:13 AM »
What Rush has to do with this is that he has been ranting about the inalienable right of Americans to waste their money on inefficient incandescent lightbulbs. Of course,people can stock up on them, and we all know that they will be available online forever from somewhere, just as Freon 12 is available.

I think Rush is getting paid to do this particular rant, by someone affiliated with Big Coal or Big Oil, probably as a bonus to his salary.

LEDs will replace CFL's within five years or so, and the price will come way down on them.

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2011, 11:29:26 AM »
hmm

but how bright is a LED bulb? A 100w bulbs of the other types show significant difference.those wattage number are like milege stickers on a car ,not quite accurate

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2011, 12:27:07 PM »
The wattage figures are irrelevant, as wattage refers to the amount of electricity used. The figure to look at is LUMENS, which iw the amount of light emitted by the bulb.

LEDs emit light of a different mix of frequencies or colors, so the lumen figure is still not exact, but it is closer.

LEDs are composed of many small bulbs, which emit very little heat and use a tiny fraction of the electricity.

I am sure that in several years all this will be improved and standardized, and prices will drop greatly, as better assembly robot machines are developed to produce them.

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2011, 02:03:15 PM »
but how bright is a LED bulb? A 100w bulbs of the other types show significant difference.those wattage number are like milege stickers on a car ,not quite accurate

The bulbs I bought are the equivalent light output of a 60W incandescent bulb, but they are supposed to last 50,000+ hours.
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2011, 08:49:21 PM »
If they last 50,000 hours, you will be most fortunate. It is a nuisance to have to use a ladder to change a bulb. Most people will have lost the sales receipt by then, and the odds are not in favor of the company that sold them to you still being in business.

But good luck.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2011, 09:47:47 PM »
The wattage figures are irrelevant, as wattage refers to the amount of electricity used. The figure to look at is LUMENS, which iw the amount of light emitted by the bulb.

LEDs emit light of a different mix of frequencies or colors, so the lumen figure is still not exact, but it is closer.

LEDs are composed of many small bulbs, which emit very little heat and use a tiny fraction of the electricity.

I am sure that in several years all this will be improved and standardized, and prices will drop greatly, as better assembly robot machines are developed to produce them.

Hard to find incandescent bulbs at Walmart. 100 watters and the yellow bug lights especially.

I don't listen to Rush so i was unawares he was having trouble finding edison bulbs.

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2011, 11:59:53 PM »
wasn`t aware the real bulbs are gone. I nornmally get them from hardware stores.

I can only get 15w bulbs in incandecent not cfl and at 15w I`m not worry about power drains.

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2011, 12:23:51 AM »
If they last 50,000 hours, you will be most fortunate. It is a nuisance to have to use a ladder to change a bulb. Most people will have lost the sales receipt by then, and the odds are not in favor of the company that sold them to you still being in business.

But good luck.

I think that both Menards and Sylvania will be in business. However, if it lasts 30,000 hours, I'll be happy because that will be long after I've sold this house. :-)